Polo Hotel
$122
$490
$268
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of $437/night.

$260
$515
$135
HotelQuickly
Savings alert! 47% below average rates

The price you found is 47% lower than this hotel's average rate of $254/night.

Palazzo Naiadi(Rome)
$512
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
HiSuiteRome(Rome)
All reviewsminute walkpastriescontikimaidhairdryer
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We had a great time in Rome and we did enjoy our stay. We are only giving the Polo 3 out of 5 for a few reasons. First, our experience with the staff was different than some other people's. We found them pleasant, helpful and they seemed sincerely happy to see us in the morning as we left for the day's excursions or in the evening when we returned home. The entire staff - from housekeeping, to the restaurant, to the people at the front desk - went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to be helpful. There was a small supermarket around the corner and the people were used to tourists from the hotel and they also helped to make our stay a pleasant one. (I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant, but after having travelled a bit, I find that simply asking someone their name, telling them yours and then trying to say please and thank you in their language will usually end up getting you better service - wherever you are).
Is this hotel out of the way? Definitely yes, but it depends a little on your perspective. I was able to jog from the hotel to the coliseum in about 35 minutes. The closest metro is Flaminio which is fifteen minutes away, but the train station, Euclide, is only 5 minutes away and it is one stop away from Flaminio and the rest of the metro system - and it uses the same 1 euro ticket which is good for 75 minutes throughout the network of trains, buses and metros. The trains run every fifteen minutes during the day. A taxi from the hotel to the Coliseum at 4:30 in the afternoon cost me exactly 8.40 euros. You can walk from the hotel to even the farthest tourist site in the city in 45 minutes if you so choose, otherwise there are metro stops at most of the important sites. We walked everywhere we went and we used to enjoy our walks home at night long the Tevere (Tiber) river. I am 58 with arthritis in the knees and after walking up and down hills in Rome for two weeks, I actually lost a little weight and my knees were better for having had the exercise. It might, however, be harder for a senior or someone with small children because of the distances.
This was my first trip to Europe and I found the room exceptionally small even though I had been warned. We had ants in our room, but in all fairness, the front desk did eventually send someone to deal with the problem once they had been informed. Later, however, while sitting in the armchair in the lobby, I suddenly felt three or four on my arms.
The breakfast was adequate (the coffee was great), but they served the exact same limited, mediocre menu every day for two weeks which grew very tiresome. As I said, I have never been to Europe before, but I have stayed in 4 star hotels in Cuba, Japan, the US, the Philippines, and in Canada and when I do an overall comparison to the Polo Hotel, it just doesn't measure up as well. Even though Cuba is still under an embargo the breakfasts are generally more interesting, better prepared and more varied. There was great inexpensive fruit at the supermarket near the Polo, especially the gigantic seedless Italian grapes, but the fruit at breakfast was a little old and unappetizing.
The TV had only about 10 channels, most of which were Italian with 2 or 3 Russian stations, one Spanish and CNN International in English. There were no films available to watch, not even for rental. The view from our room looked out on a junky area behind the hotel. The shower stall was a tight fit for one person, I wouldn't suggest trying to fit two. The hotel might be better off eliminating the biday and increasing the size of the shower. The internet service was reasonable priced and fairly reliable for WIFI.

Bottom line: would I go back? Maybe yes, because of the staff and because all the walking caused me to see things I wouldn't have had I been staying at a downtown hotel. Would I recommend the hotel? Not at the prices we paid. This is simply not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrich53
PoloHotelRoma, Direttore at Polo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Dear Guest,
We are pleased you spent a lovely time in Rome and we thank you for your kind suggestions as we allways strive to impove our services.
We hopefully have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

The hotel was nice enough. It was very clean and comfortable. However, the location is not so good. It is very far away from anything. We decided to walk it to the city which nice at first but then it became a bit tiring.

We read on the reviews previously that the hotel staff were not so friendly. Well, they were right. It wasn't a language barrier because they could speak a bit of English and I could speak a bit of Italian. Even when communicating with them in their native tongue they were miserable and unhelpful. It looked as though they didn't want to be there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank DawnLouiseAustralia

Dear Guest,
Thank you for you review. We are sorry you had some difficulties in language communication. During your stay we had some young stagers... we will require better language skills.
We look forward to welcome you again in the near future! Best regards.

Reviewed July 20, 2011

This hotel is a good business hotel which caters well for the traveller. The rooms are well appointed and the resturant serves a good breakfast and evening meal. The noise from ajoining rooms is a little loud and the wifi works better in some areas than others. The staff are knowledable and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mikey-G1
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This hotel's decor is really dated -- late 60s' architecture and brown wood interiors -- which I kind of found cool. At the same time it's pretty luxurious. The hotel's general feel matches that of the quiet, rich surrounding neighborhood, which is the nicest I've stayed in in Rome. (There are just enough restaurants and boutiques and a Carrefour nearby for necessities). No gym or anything, and the internet is spotty in the rooms -- the outlets are old as well. But the service was friendly, and there's lots of it. Breakfast is passable. An easy walk to the convention center.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was a relatively nice hotel but away from everything and in a residential district. Even the Villa Borghese was a long walk away. The rooms were clean but at least the ones we had included tiny bathrooms. Fabric walls were an interesting touch but it had water damage near the window which gave off a musty smell. We only stayed here briefly for tow night and spent most of our time sightseeing. Breakfast was just OK with a limited assortment of options compared to other hotels we have stayed at in Europe. The front desk clerk was not friendly but again it didn't matter since we weren't there very often. Even though this is an average hotel the location makes it undesirable to Rome's sites.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
we thank you for your review. We always appreciate to receive feedbacks from our Guests in order to impove services.
Thank you and kind regards.