“Hotel Columbus - great location, marvelous staff, extradordinary amenities.”
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #617 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Saint Johns, Michigan
“Hotel Columbus - great location, marvelous staff, extradordinary amenities.”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My sister and I traveled to Rome the end of May and our first hotel stay was the Hotel Columbus. The hotel was elegant and stately with old world charm. We loved it. The staff were great, there was a very reasonable airport limousine service, and they went out of their way to welcome us. The Veranda Restaurant at the hotel was a fabulous place to drink in the scenery, and local sites. Walking distance to St. Peter's and the Vatican, it was an ideal location. The breakfast that came with our room reservation was so good, and nutritious. The coffee is exceptional!

In addition, the Hotel is a historic building and the Vatican Apartments are near. Lunching and dining with religious men and women from the vatican, and students, scholars and artists was really fascinating. We loved this hotel with it's beautiful works of art. I believe that it was once the place where priests lived when they came to Rome. I

The rooms are very lovely and the windows are huge and open like shutters and you can lean on your windowsill and look out. Very charming. I am not sure if there was air conditioning, probably was, but we didn't turn it on. We stayed four nights - three at the beginning of our trip and our last night in Italy. Both times we loved our rooms. I still haven't quite figured out the elevator numbering system, but we managed to muddle through it!

The staff at the Hotel Columbus were very kind, considerate and helpful. They never seemed to get up tight no matter how many people were asking questions, calling on the phone, or requesting services all at the same time!

I would go back to this hotel and recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing, comfortable and clean room with a location handy for everything you might want to do.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank JJNN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Milton Keynes
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I find that this is a strange review to write - this hotel is not perfect but my friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here (4 nights) and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone I know.
It is set in a historic building in a fantastic location - just outside St Peter's. The restaurant is beautiful and the atmosphere is very friendly and comfortable. We found the staff very helpful and the hotel is kept exceptionally clean.
Our rooms were very comfortable - one had a small bath, whilst the other had a shower. Whilst they are spartan and could do with some refurbishment - they are clean, spaceous and with sufficient storage for 4 women who do not know when to stop packing. The rooms will not suit those who like a plush environment - perhaps they should go elsewhere.
Breakfast was basic but substantial enough to set you up for the day - ham, cheese, eggs, bread, cake, juice, coffee and tea etc. We did not eat in the restaurant as it appeared expensive - but there are so many other places to eat in Rome this was not a problem.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We stayed in the Hotel Columbus for five nights. On the first night, the apartment on the second floor was nice with tile floors and very clean. The next four nights were disappointing. We had two rooms on the third floor. The hallway is dark and dingy. The carpeting in the rooms needs to be replaced ASAP. The televisions made "ringing" noises and shut of intermitently. They chair upholstery was worn and threading. When we asked about the TVs at the esk, the gentlemen just shrugged his shoulders...oh well...The maids do the best they can with what they have to work with. The location is so great that I gather the management doesn't want to put any money into the rooms/floors/furniture.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

York
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Recently stayed at this hotel. The location is fantastic, just a stone's throw from St Peters and the Vatican and everywhere else is easily accesible by tour buses (available from across the road from the hotel) and the metro.

The hotel itself blows you away with the history and ambience however the minute I walked into my room I was disappointed. I had a single room but it was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. (Felt like a cell which in it's time it may well have been a monks room!) They had crammed dark wood old furniture in which made it appear even smaller. Even in March the room was red hot and the air con didn't work and it was too noisy to keep the windows open. The bathroom needed updating and the sink was actually in the bedroom. (not pleasant). I struggled to find space to put my stuff as there was no dressing table, just a shelf above the sink. The furnishings were old, dark and tired and the room was quite depressing. Like someone else said when you look at the website the rooms look fab but the reality is not the same.

There's one old lift that wasn't very reliable and fit only 4 people in at one time and though we found the service to be friendly it was incredibly slow.

Breakfast was adequate but why they have to put out tinned fruit cocktail when Italy has access to such wonderful fresh fruit was beyond me! (We actually saw oranges growing on trees in the city centre so it wasn't that they were in short supply!)

Overall I'd say this hotel is very average however the location does it a huge favour. I wouldn't want to spoil the history and ambience but the rooms defintely need updating so that they all reflect what is shown on the website.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angel28r
North Carolina
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I would highly recommend this hotel for its location and proximity to the Vatican. It sits on a beautiful street and is located within the palace of the cardinal who became pope and commissioned Micahelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel.

Our room was large by European standards and was a triple. The bathroom was modern, did not contain a shower, thus you sat in the tub or filled it for your bath. The tile was damaged in sections, but the bathroom was very clean with no mold.

Our beds were comfortable and clean. The problem: the carpet was disgusting and filthy! I've stayed in third world countries with cleaner carpets. The pink carpet displayed a clear trail of filth into the room and around each bed, tracking the walking patterns.

I thought perhaps this was just our room, but I got a peek at the room across from us and its carpet was exactly the same. We had to use the hotel slippers provided.

Lastly, the reception service varied widely. Our first morning we had to be at the coliseum at 8 a.m. and so at 7 a.m. we asked the front desk to hail us a cab. They told us to walk the two-three blocks to the taxi stand. We did and found that at that time, not a single cab was to be found. We began the walk to the coliseum on our own until we eventually found a cab. As my daughter in an ortho boot for a fractured leg we were trying to restrict her amount of walk, thus the need for a cab. We were disappointed upon our return to the hotel to find them gladly hailing cabs for other guests. And, our first evening we asked the hotel to recommend a nearby restaurant. They sent us to a self-service counter a block away were a terrible counter meal cost us $100!! The few times we approached the counter to ask questions, we found we were simply wasting our time. Luckily, we'd hired a private guide for our first two mornings in Rome and SHE provided us with all the information we needed.

Would I recommend the hotel, yes for its location. If you can't live with filthy carpets (which I found difficult to do for the price of hotel) don't stay here. If you do stay here, you may or may not receive front office help when you have questions. Breakfast was GREAT.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Loved our stay..a bit out of town but can connect easily with public transport....nice quiet, hotel, can breath nice clean and fresh air ....much needed freshness when on holiday..highly recommended...

Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This centuries old former palace is a one of a kind. Although my standard room was hardly stylish, it did have windows that opened on the grand boulevard that leads to the Vatican. I felt like a visiting country priest in the 1950s. But the old worn carpet was real clean and a large built-in armoire was neat. The one tiny elevator would never be acceptable for a property this size in the USA. Again, this is Europe and this is an historic building. The public rooms were stunning. I enjoyed the staff. They were helpful with restaurants and my minimum Italian. Breakfast was above average for a continental breakfast as it had many choices of treats. They even surprised me with a bag of goodies when I had to leave early one morning and would have missed breakfast. Taxi drivers always knew exactly where I needed to go when I said Hotel Columbus!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo