“Excellent hostel!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Papaya Female Hostel
Ranked #269 of 1,178 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here in June with a friend while on a month long trip around Europe. The facilities were excellent: free wifi, and two desktop computers also connected to the internet that were free to use; a kitchen, which lacked a proper oven but had everything else you could possibly need; the bathrooms were clean and very nice; there were plug adapters available to use if you didn't have one with you; lockers in the rooms are free to use, and have the lock built in, so you don't need to take your own padlock; the hostel in general was clean, well decorated there is a supermarket and some restaurants very nearby so plenty of places to eat if you don't want to travel more into the centre; it is within easy walking distance of the main train station (even if you are carrying heavy backpacks!); the metro station is also at the train station and can take you into the centre of Rome quickly.
It was also very good value, especially considering how modern and clean it was. You do have to check in at a hotel across the street, but they do tell you this in your booking confirmation email or on the website when you book (I can't remember which). It is also a few floors up, you can take the stairs of course, but there is also a lift, even if it is a very old looking lift, it kind of adds to the charm. Although the lift is kinda small so if you have huge backpacks or suitcases I guess you might have to go one at a time, but this is hardly a huge problem.

Basically, its probably the best hostel we stayed in on our trip and I would definitely return if I was travelling to Rome with female friends again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Charbubbles

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I cannot recommend Papaya high enough! I stayed here for 4 nights as a solo female traveller and after some bad experiences at previous hostels regarding poor hygiene or safety I was thoroughly relieved to find Papaya was just as promised online. It was bright and light, modern, decorated, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was modern & fitted with a power shower bathroom cabinets, sinks and a clean modern toilet! There was ample space to lock my luggage in a secure locker, there were multiple power sockets in the room to charge my devices as well as some international adaptors which was thoughtful! The hostel was clean and everybody was friendly so I never felt at risk. The location is a 10-15 minute walk from the train station which makes it easy to catch the metro each day to various attractions and it meant that I never had to use a taxi. I only had one bad experience to report that was a nasty electric shock from exposed wires hanging out of the wall...So that was obviously a dangerous and unpleasant surprise as the wires shocked me while I was sleeping as they were right next to my bed...I reported it to the owners who apologised but I do hope they get an electrician to sort that out from a safety and fire point of view! But aside from that (which I'm sure is a freak accident) I think Papaya was great value, clean & convenient..as another reviewer said: Rome's best kept secret!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Emma9012
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Besides one handsy male helper, this place was great! The wifi worked, the bathrooms were beautiful and I felt very safe. Not to mention the location was very good. :) Just know that you have to check in across the street. I had a rough time lugging my backpack up one building only to find out I had to go somewhere else- they did send an email saying it, sadly I never received it. But it was really nice in all. Plus they had free lockers in the room!

Room Tip: Make sure it's Papaya hostel and not Il Paverado (spell?) that you book. Papaya's wifi is fr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Papaya hostel for a week and found it to be clean, safe and comfortable.
It was a great way to meet other travellers, chill after a hard days sightseeing and it has everything you need to make the holiday a great one.
Staff at the Il Papavero who administer the hostel were fantastic and nothing was a problem for them, lovely people!
It has 4 rooms , 4 people in each and 3 shower/toilets so there's never a scramble for the shower.
2 desktop computers and also free wi fi ,s o nobody gets cut off from friends or relatives.
I would happily go back as it's so central for all the transport and sights.

Room Tip: The room 4 to the back will be quieter as it looks on to the communal yard
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HubbleBubbleTrouble
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Initially a bit difficult to find on Via Castelfidardo. You check in at the hotel across the road. However I couldn't recommend this place enough. The bathroom was clean and modern, the hostel was very competitively priced (free wi-fi and lockers) and it was a 10-15 min walk from the train station where you can get the train or bus to/from the airport. The walk into the city centre is very straightforward, and there's a large supermarket nearby for you to buy food to prepare in the shared kitchen area. Also plenty of reasonably priced restaurants to eat in the area, which itself feels very safe. Definitely staying here when I return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've stayed at one other hostel in Rome (which was very nice as well), but I have heard some true horror stories. Do not worry about that at Papaya! I stayed there for four days on my first ever international trip-alone. The rooms were clean. It wasn't hot outside so I can't account for air conditioning, but the place was super comfortable. The bathrooms and hostel were well kept. If I remember correctly, internet was free! Also they gave out little "coupons" for breakfast at a place on the corner-it was a small breakfast consisting of orange juice/coffee and a pastry, but it was enough to start the day. Nice quiet street with easy access to the tourist sights.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Place was clean, 2 sets of bunkbeds and nice locker in room to keep your belongings safe. 3 bathrooms with showers for the whole place, kitchen area, free wi-fi and had 2 desktop comps for use. Only downside no staff at site and you check in at the hotel accross the street. Only 10-15min walk from main train station. Safe at night I did a lot of walking around at night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo