“Stylish modern restaurant and excellent food”

Metamorfosi Restaurant
Ranked #104 of 12,165 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Parioli
Rome, Italy
“Stylish modern restaurant and excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had no difficulty in making a reservation only a few days ahead, or in changing it to a later date afterwards, and on the day we were half an hour late due to traffic, I called to let the restaurant know and they were fine about it. The service during the meal was just as good: attentive but not intrusive, maitre d'h and wine waiter very knowledgeable and gave spot on advice. One young waiter, obviously still learning his craft, dripped sauce on my guest's jacket, and although he apologized profusely and provided damp towels to clean it off, the garlicky smell still clung and I would have expected a gesture from management since it'll have to be dry cleaned, but no one seemed to notice and we didn't want to get the poor lad into trouble by pointing out what happened.

We had an aperitif of sparkling wine from Lombardia and with it came a few amuse-bouches that were both original and flavoursome, as well as some delicious warm home-made bread with olive oil ice cream. Then a complimentary starter with pumpkin, green pesto, almonds and squid ink powder, very fresh and creative in its combination of colours and textures.

We ordered à la carte and had a starter and main course each. One of us then had dessert, and we were all offered sweet creations and chocolates, so although all the portions are small, bordering on tiny, we came away fully satisfied.

The food is imaginatively presented - the raw tuna was served wrapped in leaves to be eaten with the hands, the squab came on a chunk of wood - and all of it was wonderfully tasty.

The chef came round after we finished and asked for our feedback, which is always a nice touch when genuine.

We paid about EUR100 per person including wine, which I consider excellent value given the number of complimentary tastings added to the dishes we ordered.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank brancusirocks

• Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“When you know a bit Rome, you'll find a better taste for the same price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I took some customers there, hoping to impress by a Michelin star selection.
Well, it barely cut the deal!
The place is nice, sleek and modern, very nicely decorated and I could go back there for the ambiance.

But he service was not up to scratch.

When you ask for guidance on dishes, you ask for simple information that can help navigate in the taste proposed. We realized with the first dishes that we were going to look at experimental fusion like style cuisine.

Nothing wrong (we knew about it before going there) but it take some mystery and some excitement to sell a dish.
With the feed back we had, we definitely had mystery but the excitement gave away to questioning. When your guests comments (half way through the dinner), that they should have gone for 'that' rather 'that' looking at their neighbors plates, well the restaurant missed its chance to impress.

One place that wasn't missed, is the final invoice! Definitely impressive as we ended up to 120 euros a head while we felt like stopping by the Hungry Jack (sorry, the Burger King) on the way back. (after a primi, secondi, contorno plus dessert)

The French guy did a ok-ish job to entertain their delay, despite the fact we were among the first customer on site.
So really, a lot of pompous vibe for somewhat a average experience.
I won't come back, definitely not for those prices.

• Visited November 2013
Washington dc
“Outstanding restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a beautiful restaurant away from the center but in a very nice neighborhood. I and a friend had lunch there and chose the long menu for 100 euros. It was not crowded and the service was efficient and not too quick and the dishers were well paced. Wine suggestions were helpful, they suggested a better alternative to my selection.

The food is exquisite, one of the best I have had in Italy. I think the only food I had in Italy that was better was at Colonna's place outside of Rome (have not gone to Pergola yet).

I would highly recommend this place to all that enjoy good food and service.

• Visited November 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Michelin starred dining in Rome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

we decided to treat ourselves when in Rome and treat we did - £280 later after a meal for two. We had an 8pm booking and were one of two couples dining at that time. Very attentive staff but as you do find in these types of restaurants about 4 different people were hand to tend to the 2 of us.

I love my food, and fine food at that but i cant bear the poncy-ness around some places. This place wasnt too bad but the place does lack atmosphere. It feels like the more expensive a place is, the quieter you have to be. One waitress just lingered as she haD nothing to do so whenever i raised my eye, there she was. Amazing Sommerlier, very knowledgeable and food had the wow factor. The much raved about carbonara egg 65 degrees - was ok. I wasn't blown away. My main however, the wagyu beef was divine, so so tasty. I was super impressed by my Heson-esque pudding of pears and cheese -don't be fooled by the simple descriptions. all the food was a work of art and clearly created to get the oohs and aahs going. lots of little amuse bouches in between courses and a surprise of goats cheese in white chocolate and a reduced port jam was a delight as was the tempura shrimp with a passio fruit sorbet. This restaurant is worth a visit. I did feel bad after we paid our bill as whilst i enjoyed this dinner, it wasnt the best i've ever had and for the price i did think eeek.

• Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“Excellent modern approach to Italian cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We wanted to get something to eat outside of the centro historico and away from all the tourist restaurants. We had learned of this restaurant from a food blog and decided to give it a shot based on the review and the fact that it had a Michelin star. Good call. The restaurant was probably more on par with a two star restaurant in Paris. The food was great, but I do not recommend this place for people who don't take food seriously - you probably won't enjoy it. This is a serious food temple. They employ many of the techniques found in extremely high-end cooking today and we were impressed by both the amazing food pairings / tastes but also with the excellent presentations. The restaurant has excellent bread - I cannot stress this enough. Also, the sommelier was a first class wonder, who had no idea of our budget (we would have spent $150), but he got us an amazing wine for $50. How can you beat that? We were very happy with the meal and service - really top notch.

• Visited October 2013