“Excellent modern approach to Italian cuisine”

Metamorfosi Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 12,268 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, European, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Parioli
New York City, New York
“Excellent modern approach to Italian cuisine”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We wanted to get something to eat outside of the centro historico and away from all the tourist restaurants. We had learned of this restaurant from a food blog and decided to give it a shot based on the review and the fact that it had a Michelin star. Good call. The restaurant was probably more on par with a two star restaurant in Paris. The food was great, but I do not recommend this place for people who don't take food seriously - you probably won't enjoy it. This is a serious food temple. They employ many of the techniques found in extremely high-end cooking today and we were impressed by both the amazing food pairings / tastes but also with the excellent presentations. The restaurant has excellent bread - I cannot stress this enough. Also, the sommelier was a first class wonder, who had no idea of our budget (we would have spent $150), but he got us an amazing wine for $50. How can you beat that? We were very happy with the meal and service - really top notch.

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
Haifa, Israel
“Artistic and delicious dishes. Worth its Michelin star!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We chose this restaurant for the grand finale of our honeymoon. It didn't disappoint and was actually way above our expectations.
I'll begin with the prices: It's expensive. But you cannot expect a star Michelin restaurant not to be, right? However, thinking about it, it is far more than a simple dinner: It takes few hours, it has some "show" as every dishes is explained thoroughly to details by the waiters, and it's a great romantic evening. So perhaps it's worth it.
The food alone absolutely worth the price. Everything that is prepared, is prepared with lots of thoughts of how it will tastes best, and it shows. Generally, it is mostly italian dishes, with twist of modern cuisine and molecular gastronomy: lots of "cooked in vacuum bag at 65 degrees for 40 minutes", sorbets of unusual ingredients and some dishes with oxide nitrogen. To those who are interested in it, it is heaven. And it was for us.
The restaurant is carefully designed and has quite a modern look. The staff welcomed us and showed us to our reserved table. From that moment on, the simply took care of all our needs: helped us with recommendations for dishes without seafood, filled the water glass or wine glass immediately, and even got us a small footstool for the bag and camera...
Now, regarding the food itself: They have also couple of tasting menus, but as we don't eat seafood, we decided to go for "a la carte".
We began with an aperitif, which included 3 dishes of snacks (parmesan ball, baby carrots and olive oil sorbet with bread) and a glass of sparkling wine.It was a good start, though the olive oil sorbet was a bit disappointing.
Then came the first starter (was on the house) - an awesome flavoured chicken ("cooked in 65 degrees...") and after that the starters that we ordered: Carbonara egg 65° (which was incredible - both the egg itself, the foam of the parmesan, end the "pasta" made of parmesan to dip in it. that's one dish you must order!) and Aubergine with herbs & sweet pepper sorbet (the pepper sorbet was amazing, and the aubergines were good too).
First courses followed, and the mistake the staff made with my order (I got pappardelle with mushrooms instead of risotto with anchovies) was quickly forgotten as I got both the pappardelle and the risotto, and another dish of risotto for my wife, over the tomato ravioli that she ordered. So actually, we got two first courses each! All of them were absolutely delicious, but the highlight of those was the risotto (the anchovies were so good, they even had a sweet taste).
Next, the main courses. Red snapper with asparagus & citrus zabaione, and Lamb with roast cauliflower & liquorice. What can I say, both were great. Simply great. The lamb was extremely moist and cooked to perfection, and the fish was full of flavour (and especially the mustard seeds it comes with).
The deserts, well, simply kept the high level of the food throughout the evening: white chocolate filled with blue cheese, pineapple jelly, butter cookie with white chocolate and a dark chocolate snack, which came on the house, on top of the desert that we ordered: a chocolate ball filled with hazelnut cream, swimming in a rum foam and coffee on top.
However, every good thing has to end, and this evening was definitely wonderful!

• Visited September 2013
San Francisco, California
“Very nice food but they really need to upgrade the staff level”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was in Rome for 3 days and decided to try a couple of their Michelin restaurants. I really like the overall experience at Meta, but I have to agree with all the previous posters regarding their service level. Don't get me wrong. The service was very good but they are way understaffed.

SPACE - Very modern clean sleek design on 3 levels. Ground level and a 2nd level balcony for dining and kitchen in basement. A very nice wine room. A restaurant that respect their wine, cheese and ingredients is definitely a plus.

FOOD - I got the tasting menu for slightly over a Euro 100 with a 5 glass wine paring for Euro 35, total came to around Euro 150. I am not going to go over all the dishes. If you decided on the tasting menu and the carbonara is not on the menu, make sure you ask for it. It was almost life changing for me (just kidding, but it was really yummy). My only problem is why only gave me 2 crunchy pasta but not 4!

All the dishes were really yummy, but I think the dessert was a bit ordinary (I guess it is not a good word when it comes to Michelin restaurant). My only real issue was the lobster. The lobster meat was slow cooked and the shell smoked. The meat was sliced and put back onto the shell which was resting on a hot charcoal plate. The problem was physical! The lobster tapers off to the tail end. So the thick side was a bit lukewarm while the tail side was hot, which I like more.

WINE - They don't have any half bottle at all. I usually like to either get a half bottle Champagne or Burgundy instead of wine pairing. They do a 3, 5, 7 glasses wine pairing at full pour, so 5 glasses is a whole bottle. Price is very reasonable (actually I think the lowest I ever seen at Euro 35 for 5 glasses).

SERVICE - This is where the one star was knocked off. As mentioned before, they are on 3 levels staffed by 2 managers (one Sommelier and a French guy) plus 2 waitstaff / bus, that is a total of 4 front of the house. I think the entire restaurant seats 40 to 45 customers. The Friday night when I was there Meta had 30 customers, with a party of 6 or 8 upstairs. Just imagine the poor waitstaff had to go to the basement to get the food and walk all the up to the balcony and come back to greet arriving customers. The Sommelier, Paolo, had to run up and down swirling wines in glasses. In addition, Paolo does not like to decant wines. One of the customers brought a Sassicaia, and Paolo just open the wine and swirl it from one glass to another to aerate it. It really take time to swirl the wine!

I talked to all the staff and Paolo who was very generous in sharing his experience. The team was actually very good and pays attention. The female waitstaff actually noticed that I was still drinking my white wine when she was bringing out the meat course, and went over to fetch Paolo to change my wine.

OVERALL - I really like it and keep comparing my experience at L'Astrance in Paris. I think the food at L'Astrance was more exciting and pretty. The major difference is in the service! At L'Astrance, the service was calm and efficient. At Meta, Paolo, was running up and down like he is going to get a heart attack (Paolo, please don't black list me because I really want to come back)! I mentioned this to the French guy and afterwards Paolo did calm down a bit.

• Visited September 2013
fluffer1000
“something a bit different”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

me and my wife like to treat ourselves when we can to michelin starred dining and thought it would be good to try an overseas one while visiting rome. after a bit looking we booked this one.
from start to finish the food was excellent if not a little bizarre at times, tempura prawn with passion fruit sorbet or white chocolate and blue cheese bonbon. odd as they sound they tasted really excellent.
the staff spoke excellent english and did there best to explain each dish including the style of preparation.
the one thing i would criticise is that some of the courses didnt really flow. sometimes they were bringing the next course before the plates of the previous were cleared while other times we waited 30 minutes. This may have been the objection but it seemed a little odd to me.
i cant say i would rush back if i was in rome but i would recommend it to anyone who wants to try something a little different.

Visited September 2013
Hamburg, Germany
“best special occasion”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

while in rome we had a special occasion to celebrate and chose this restaurant because of strong recommendations from our trusted food guide. It was incredibly good and not stuffy at all. if you want to try fine dining but are intimidated, try to start here.

Visited August 2013