“still a safe bet after over 30 years”

Cantina Cantarini da Mario
Ranked #2,407 of 13,204 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Reviewed September 20, 2013

First, full disclosure: I used to go to this restaurant over 30 years ago when we lived in Rome. So I do have a sentimental attachment to this place. But I would go there regardless, especially on the nights that they have fresh fish: my husband thought that the risotto with seafood was one of the best he ever had and our 20-month old son finally started loving spaghettis when he tasted their spaghetti alle vongole.
the decor is not much to look at but the small outdoor space is great in good weather.
Don't bother with menus (I have yet to see one) and just ask the owner (Nello) what he suggests.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great place, all locals at lunch. Wonderful, simple primo and osso buco secondo. Tiny and worthwhile.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Friendly people. Went on a Thursday night, menu was only fish. Luckily we both ate fish. Food was ok but must say that for sure there are better places in the same area or around if you want fish, next I would like to try the other plates to see how it goes.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Have the dish of the day ...whatever it is!! Very good value. Staff generally friendly. £ courses gets you a free digestif.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a tiny place with paper table coverings and just a few tables.
And it is hard to find.
But Boy is it worth it!
We had a wonderful meal here tonight -- wonderful!
Mussel appetizers, mixed steamed shell fish, pasta in black squid ink, grilled sea bass and grilled sole -- the house white wine and a bit of vin santo at the end.
This is the real thing -- this is what Italian food is all about.
I have no idea where a couple of recent negative reviews came from -- they went to a different place. We know food and we know Rome restaurants and we are going back a lot.
So do us a favor -- don't tell anyone -- maybe go some where else
Because we will be there in line -- hoping for a table.