“VERY DISAPPOINTING”
Review of Duca D'Alba Hotel

Duca D'Alba Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just returned from staying 3 nights with my partner. I don't know who decides the ratings but to me this is not a 4 Star Hotel. We have been to Rome many times and know it fairly well. Decided at the last minute to conclude a European vacation with a couple of nights in our favorite city. All f our usual hotels sadly were booked . We stumbled upon the Duca on Trip Advisor and it looked vine plus they had rooms available. The location if perfectly fine so we grabbed it. First off , the websiteis very misleading. the room - even by european sizes was tiny! and very oddly layed out. The shower was so small that it became a major event each time to use it and trying to not flood the bathroom at the same time was a test. The bed was decent - the view from the one window was of a shaft. As a previous reader said you cannot control the AC from your room. It is controlled by a remote for the entire hotel. Thus when you return from a long day or dinner the room is an oven and takes an hour to cool off. Very silly idea. They do have free internet but it only worked sporadically. The staff is way overworked - the bellboy/bartender/engineer/waiter for breakfast was sweet but over his head. Any time we called the gal at the desk she seemed frustrated and exasperated -in English and Italian. She had a very limited knowledge or restaurants save for those next door or obvious tourist traps. Every place we asked her about she never heard of. To top off the stay we checked out and stored our luggage and went for lunch. When we came back the bellboy loaded our car and neglected to put my leather jacket in with the luggage. Not happy.

Room Tip: some are bigger than others and have bigger tvs ask
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank STONECARAVELLE
ducalba, Proprietario at Duca D'Alba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,
thanks for the time you have spent to write a review about the Duca d’Alba Hotel. We are sorry to know that you did’t have good impressions regarding your stay here, because the job we love and we daily do, is to give the best satisfaction to our guests. Regarding the position, as you already mentioned, we are centrally located just 300 metres from the Colosseum and the Roman Forums in the heart of ‘Suburra’ that is the first quarter of the ancient Rome.

Regarding the photos of the rooms placed on our website, they are not tricky, and we are sorry that you used these words because, as I wrote above, our goal is to give the best hospitality service not to delude our guests; the photos reflect the different kind of rooms we have.

As most of the hotels located in the historical centre, we are in a historical building belonging to the XVIII century, it’s not a modern building built with different and modern criterias. In any case we have Classic rooms, Superior rooms and 2 Suites. You booked and you had a Classic room, but in case you needed a larger room you could choice a superior or a Suite directly here simply asking at the Reception desk to see or change the room, but you didn’t.

If you would have asked to see other rooms, you also would notice that the furniture is completely different for each room.

Regarding the A/C, it’s not correct, we already replied to another guest, as we don’t have one centralized Air Conditioning System, but each room has its own engine. In case you need to regulate it warmer or cooler, you would just have to call the Reception and they would immediately send you the person en charged, as we always do with all guests.

Internet is free of charge and the Wi-fi service is provided by Fastweb company, it’s a high speed connection and many regular customers, travelling for job, use Duca D’Alba Hotel because of the location and because of the free internet access. Login with user ID and password is necessary to protect your navigation and guarantee your privacy. If sometimes it might be slow, it doesn’t depend on us, probably in some moments there are too many people connected together on the web at the same time.

Regarding our Staff at the Reception desk, you called several times with a list of Restaurants suggested by your friends and asked to make reservations and then to cancel them; you never asked for our suggestion and we never suggested tourist traps, you just asked if we knew some of the restaurants of your list, but you have to know that in Rome there are more then 4697 Restaurants. We normally suggest good and well known Restaurants nearby the hotel or in other central areas where we are sure of the service given to our customer, we cannot suggest Restaurants that we don’t know, the Staff has been wise about this.

We are sorry about your jacket that anyway has been immediately sent you by mail and we hope, in the future, you will have another opportunity to visit us to give us the chance to let us change your ideas about the Duca d’Alba Hotel.
Kindest regards,
The Owner

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A great stay at a very good hotel with very helpfull and friendly personell! Recommended! Small but clean room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
ducalba, Proprietario at Duca D'Alba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Guest,
many thanks for sharing with us you impressions regarding Duca d'Alba Hotel and our nice Staff. Your feed back is very important to us as let us understand that our efforts have been appreciated.
Hope to welcome you once again
Kind regards
Owner

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights prior to our cruise. The front desk staff were amazing and so friendly and helpful. Our room was in the annex which was fine. We really enjoyed the breakfast, but the location of this hotel is terrific. There is a subway station within meters of the hotel which allowed us to travel all over Rome. There are some terrific restaurants in the area and a great gelato place just around the corner. The subway takes you directly to the train station (Termini) which made it very easy for us to get to Civitavechhia on the day of our cruise. I would definitely stay at this hotel!

1  Thank Hilda K

Dear Guests,

many thank for the time you spent to write your nice review on the Duca d'alba Hotel. We are very pleased to know that you have appreciated our hotel, our position and our kind staff and hope to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Kind regards
Owner

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was a perfectly fine hotel but not good value for money and not remotely like it was advertised.

Pros:
-Good location -- Monti neighborhood is convenient and charming
-Generally serviceable hotel experience

Cons:
-Does not look like the website -- it is much less nice in person
-Our bedroom was tiny
-Hallways are not air-conditioned
-You cannot control the A/C from your room. A/C is controlled by a remote and there are only 2 remotes in the entire hotel
-Internet requires a new login every time for every device, like a hostel. Internet could also be quite slow
-Paint chipped everywhere
-Can't flush toilet paper in toilet
-Shower water was lukewarm
-Front desk service was brusque and cold
-Room indicator on hallway ceiling showed when you were in the room, which felt like an invasion of privacy

3  Thank smm814
ducalba, Proprietario at Duca D'Alba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear guest, first of all thank you for the time you spent to talk about the Duca D’Alba Hotel, regarding your comments on our good location. Our job, since many years is to offer hospitality either to people travelling for tourism or for job and during this severely years experience we are keeping improving our services to answer to our new customers needs. We just would like to point out few things:
- We offer accommodation, in Classic room, Superior, Suite and Apartment, it’s up to the guest to decide the kind of accommodation desired. We don’t have your name, so we cannot check which room you had, but even the Classic room respect the normal size foreseen for a hotel located in a historical building belonging to the XVII century and in the famous Suburra Area, the first ancient Rome’s quarter.
- What you write about the A/C, it’s not correct, as we don’t have a centralized Air Conditioning System, but each room has its own engine that allows the guest to regulate it personally. So if you had problem in regulating it, you would just have to call the reception and they would immediately send you the person en charged, as we always do with all guests.
- Internet access is provided by Fastweb Company, it’s a high speed connection and the access it’s FREE OF CHARGE! Many regular customers, travelling for job, use Duca D’Alba Hotel because of the location and because of the free internet access. Login with user ID and password is necessary to protect your navigation and guarantee your privacy.
- Paint chipped? We are sorry if you found a few points of paint chipped. The maintenance is a priority to the Owner: in addition to regular maintenance, we are used to refresh the painting, at least, twice per year.
- The water temperature can be regulated from each room warmer or colder from the bathroom, it’s not a fixed temperature.
- Our Front Desk Staff is very professional and has many years experience, if you look at all the other comments you will find that most of comments are nice compliments for our Staff.
- The room indicator is not an invasion of privacy, the reason is opposite: if the guest is inside the room, the maid or other staff will not disturb the guest to reorder the room until the guest is out. Each hotel has its policy regarding this, we used a red/green light.
We are sorry if your experience was not that nice and we hope, if you will like to come again, to satisfy your needs.
The Owner
Ruggero Giorgi

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is placed in a nice neighbourhood close to the Colosseum and just a few steps from a subway stop. Hotel staff were friendly.
There were a few points that could have been better. Doors etc. are pretty old and thin, i.e. you hear every step of your neighbours in the hallway and when they try to open the doors. There was very little space in the room to put stuff. The internet connection required very clumsy sign-in (and it was easier to just use the open connection of a neighbour).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meredith100
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I am just today finishing up a 4 night stay at the Hotel Duca d'Alba. If you are planning to travel to Roma and want to stay in the best 4-Star Hotel and be centrally located, this is the only place to stay. I spent a considerable amount of time on the internet researching hotels before deciding on this particular hotel. It was time well spent.
First, I communicated with Alisa (she works the front desk) and they were able to meet my requests for special considerations and guaranteed my stay for me. After numerous email communications, it was really pleasant to come in the front door and have her recognize my name when I announced myself to check in. She quickly greeted me from the back office. This was to be a sign of the friendliness of the staff that I would encounter throughout my stay. Because I had arrived early in the morning from the airport and my driver (who Elisa arranged at my request) had delivered me to the hotel before my room was ready, I was escorted to the sitting area off the front lobby and offered a cappucino while my room was prepared for me.
When ready, Tatiana (who also works the front desk and took care of me thru most of my stay) assisted me in getting my bags to my room.
The rooms are well sized and provide the guest with all amenities necessary. However, if you should find yourself missing anything, I did discover that the hotel will work hard to accommodate your every request should it be within reason of course.
During my research, I noted several "complaints" about the showers at the hotel. I took note of these, but was not too concerned about it. Basically, Americans are used to having a shower door that completely closes off the shower and they tend to splash about and waste a considerable amount of water, (I know this because I live with somebody that does this very thing.) but most Europeans and visitors from other countries understand what it is to conserve water and other resources. It is very easy to shower using this configuration and with a bit of concern for their conservation efforts, I do believe that anybody can get past this small detail. Threre is plenty of hot water available and I was able to shower easily. BTW - It can be a wonderful experience to return to the hotel during a day of sight seeing and take a nice cool shower, rest a bit, and change clothes before heading out for lunch and more sight seeing or shopping.
The hotel is located centrally and is only a 12 minute walk to the Colosseum and 15 to the Forum or Palatine. This makes for quick trips out and back to the hotel for that rinse and refresh. It is on a bus line that will take you to the Spanish Steps or close enough to walk to the Trevi Fountain.
I highly recommend the Hotel Duca d'Alba to any visitor from any country and wish you the same enjoyable stay that I have experinced here these past 4 nights. You be not regret this decision!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Edmond M
Reviewed October 4, 2012

When traveling to Rome recently , we arrived at our hotel to find there was a electrical problem at the hotel. They greeted us and redirected our reservation to this hotel. We found this hotel great! The location was perfect, only a short walk to the major sites including the Colessum . We found the staff very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was very good which included a hot selection of various foods. I really can’t say anything negative about our stay and would not hesitate to recommend to my family or friends.

Ciao,,

Room Tip: over looking the street,,
2  Thank theodore l