“Good Hotel to stay at for Quick Access to Termini Train Station”
Review of Hotel Genova

Hotel Genova
Ranked #431 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice hotel for being centrally located. Close to the train station, short walk to the Coliseum, nice neighborhood for walking around. Reasonably priced.
They packed us a Breakfast to Go since we were leaving early to catch our flight, very kind of them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the side street.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We can relate to the other reviews. The noise from the Metro is loud even on the fourth floor, trains every 30 seconds or so, the whole hotel rumbles. Getting help from the front desk was like asking for their first born. The breakfast room was almost adequate, staff were polite but standoffish. The food was ok but not much selection. We found the lady in the bar very nice, prices are high but she was lovely.
The location is central, there are a lot of hotels to choose from in the area.
Would not go there again by choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 343TomW
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Let me share with everyone the intolerable bad experience which made our vacation the worst ever :
We have checked in a room 511 & found a worm in the room & the telephone connection to various facilities in the hotel was out of order example reception desk , room service etc.
when we checked in, we found a fruit basket with cutlery ordered by our tour leader being a VIP guest.
The following day the housekeeping took the knife & fork, so I had to go by my self to the reception Desk & tried to tell him that we need the knife as we are using it, to our bewildernment we were exposed to in mannered in polite employee who was very rude & spoke to me in a very provocative manner to go to the bar and ask for a knife.
I went to the bar & found no body there and whereby I went back to him again while being extra exhausted after a Long day in Rome asking him again to help out, he starting shouting & told me that the lady in charge of the bar maybe in the toilet & I must wait for her or I can pay 6 EUR for this service, I tried to explain to him that it's a simple issue & the knife was already in the room for our fruit basket he insisted in a very bad unacceptable attitude for treating a guest at all as if I'm working under his supervision, surprised me by shouting and saying huuuuuuush as a sort of shut up.
My mother and my self as we are working in hospitality too tried to find the general manager or any responsible person but unfortunately he was the only staff in charge in the hotel.
We aked for his name & on the spot he wrote his name on a piece of paper caring less of a guest staying in Genova hotel in Rome his name is (CLAUDIO).
Next day we complained to his direct in charge person & our group tour leader but no action was taken against him in this regard at all as he was the same person covering the afternoon shift in the hotel.
He spoiled our stay not only in Rome but in Italy as it was our first summer vacation visit .

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Aleya K
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here for a short break in June. The hotel is ideally located for sight-seeing.

I had a single room on the first floor, which was tiny but well appointed and had everything you could want. The bed was comfortable. Had to keep shutters closed etc because of the traffic noise, but then you are in the middle of a bustling city. Had I known I would have requested a room on an upper floor because the rumbling of the underground was quite intrusive.

We only had breakfast in the restaurant, and it was pretty poor.
The bar area was quite small but the service was good.

Reception staff were certainly a bit underwhelmed and stand-offish as others have reported here.
For 3 nights it was fine, but would have been nice to have had better facilities, a swimming pool, and a nice restaurant to relax in, better research required obviously!
It was very handy for the Colosseum and the train / bus station.

Wouldn't go back there but it was OK for what it was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor away from the underground and tram noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have been very disappointed with the staff of this hotel or maybe it's just the Italian way but as North Americans we travel with cameras, iPhones, iPads hair irons etc and they have a system at this hotel where you leave a key in a slot to have power in the room but they will only give us 1 key so you can't leave anything charging while you are out. They don't have an ice machine and they told us we can get a bucket at the bar which is after 4:30 and the girl didn't want to give us any, we finally got 2 little sandwich bags full. If you ask anything of them they give you the look like you are interrupting their day, are they not here to be of service. The shower in the room is so small, I think it's smaller than a cruise ship shower. The bed is incredibly hard. Not impressed

Room Tip: Good location to sites
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sherri M
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at the Genova for 4 nights in July and as a young woman travelling on her own i think that the staff thought that they could just put me in a dog box of a room and that i wouldn't mind. After asking to move to a higher floor because my original room was on the first floor where i could feel every tremor from the metro below i was delighted to see they moved me to a large room with 4 single beds. Plenty of room and the beautiful bathroom was a pleasure to see. The next morning, i was told that there were many families checking in that weekend and asked if i would mind moving to a small room. I asked to be shown the room first which was a smart move. The room they showed me was an internal room that was so small i'd hardly be able to have opened my suitcase after all the Italian shopping i'd done. Luckily i stayed in my large room and turned down their offer. Unfortunately i wasn't able to use the internet in my room for any of the 5 days i was there. I had to use it in the foyer area which i found quite inconvenient. The terrace on the top floor is a hidden gem though and if you can bear the heat, the view is fantastic and worth taking your camera up to.
I found the staff quite rude apart from Antonio (??) who was good looking and charming but understandably was unable to help with wifi. Also the fact that the housekeeping was so late on in the day that when i came back from my sight seeing i was unable to have a nap as the cleaners would knock on the door to service my room. The housekeepers were very friendly and apologetic about this though.

Overall, i think that the hotel is in a great location and is an elegant hotel. Just request a room on a high floor and try and ignore the staff's attitude issues. I was given a fantastic ice cream recommendation too- G. Fassi, worth the 25min walk!

Room Tip: ask for a top floor or high floor room so you don't hear the metro
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I must agree with the others, the staff at this Motel was rude. When my husband and I checked in, we got the look up and down by the porter a comment in Italian to the receptionist. The reception staff was rude, ignored you and just left you waiting, unless you were young and attractive. Went down hill from there, room wasn't made up till 3pm by that time we were back from a full on day and wanted to rest so the room wasn't done. Breakfast was ordinary also. I would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dinamic1957
Remarhotels, Direttore vendite at Hotel Genova, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,
we are sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your stay at Hotel Genova.
We apologize that you had some problems with our staff but we already opened an investigation about that.
We really hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel.

Best Regards