“fantastic city, not too impressed with the hotel”
Review of Giglio Dell' Opera

Giglio Dell' Opera
Ranked #1,074 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had a brilliant time in Rome, amazing city and I got to see Florence too for one day which was stunning too. Both cities are incredible. However, I was not very impressed with this hotel. One of the staff members was grumpy, moody and rude. The breakfast was very basic, nothing fantastic (I've had better continental breakfasts in other European cities) and the coffee was terrible, it was from one of the machines and was quite watery. The good things that I can say about this hotel is that it's about 5 minutes walk to the main Terminal station and you can see a lot of the tourist attraction within walking distance, such as the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain etc. Vatican City was a bit far out but I got a bus to get there and got to see the church and the museum (Sistine Chapel). My room in the hotel was ok and there was a safe too for me to put a lot of my personal things in. These are the only positive things I can say about this hotel. If I was to come to Rome again (I would love too) I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Giglio Dell' Opera

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Liked the central location of the hotel, the well working air conditioning, the cleanliness of the sheets that were perfectly crisp and white. I liked the accessibility and courteousness of the staff with the exception of the one who was not fit for the job ( E.g. grumpy and rude and lacked any customer service training). Breakfast was included with room and was more than decent selection.
all was Ok exept crude WI FI login on log off pay for service. Unwarranted for a three stars hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

because we used credit card points so the stay was 'free' otherwise, I would have given the hotel 2 stars. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was somewhat modern. Our party included my husband and I and our children, 23 and 18. My daughter slept on a pullout 1 and half chairand my son slept on a rollaway. Both said they weren't that bad but that was because they were exhausted. My son's bed had sheets with stains so he slept on the blanket. The refridgerate did not work so no chance of cold water or storing leftovers. The lock on the door took lots of jiggling to open. Chose to wear sandals instead of going barefoot...carpets didn't look clean. When you took a shower a small tide pool would form on the floor...leaking somewhere...not to mention the mold on the grout. The air-conditioning was cool at best. The breakfast was fine, not fab...enjoyed the endless cappuccino. Now, the front desk clerk...obviously not trained in customer service! It was tolerable is the best I can say.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Three adults and two eleven years old kids sharing the junior suite.... We have the opportunity to book and stay in the junior suite of the hotel...... Not even equivalent of a standard room.We have asked for one double bed and three singles and we have been given us five single beds (the two was armchairs opening to a bed).The bathroom was spacious but there was full of mould.The only positive thing was that they were changing the towels every day.....We have been in the hotel for shower and sleep only......We asked why the a/c was not working and they have told us that they turn it on when it is 40 degree in Rome........The staff was not helpful at all.The brekfast room was situated in the basement next to the toilets.......We are not people who are prone to complain, but I would urge anyone who is considering this hotel,
PLEASE DON'T !!!!!!!!!! Go elsewhere, please.The photo of the room are misleading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2013

centrally located just block from Rome train terminal, the hotel is very old, just like the other ones in the area, the staff is very helpful but the rooms itself, specially the bathroom need remodeling, ther was either veryhot water or just plain cold water in the bathroom sink faucets, this time of the year, the a/c are not working(intentionally to save energy) but room is getting hot by now and all we had was the fan from the a/c unit, so it was a bit warm at night, could not open the room windows because of the constant street noise from cars and ambulances.no Wi-Fi at the rooms at all only at the lobby and it was 1 euro for 1/2hour.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel on our trip to Rome which was a Ruby Wedding anniversary present from our two children. The heating was not working and in March the weather was both cold and wet. we shivered through our first night. The workmen were working on it the next morning but unfortunately they were constantly in and out of the door to the dining room. More icy blasts. The breakfasts were extremely spartan, consisting of rolled -up slices of ham and cheese and a large dish of boiled eggs. The coffee machine dispensed a foamy coffee which was lukewarm and we had to ask for hot water for tea. After much confusion and puzzled looks, we were presented with barely warm water which the tea bag couldn't even colour. We tolerated this for two days after which we had breakfast out. I was even ordered off a table by a waiter with shouts of Oy go go!!!! and directed to another table. It was like Faulty Towers!! The staff on reception were rude, uninterested and tutted and grumbled when my husband asked for another pillow. There was only one each on the bed!! When we asked for an iron, the receptionist with much waving of hands said "Iron, iron, no, no iron. This is a hotel!!!! Not quite sure what that meant, since we have been able to get an iron in any hotel we have stayed in. The toilet didn't flush properly at night and we had to have someone in to fix it, and the paintwork both in the room and in the corridors was flaking off. Altogether the hotel was gloomy and shabby. Service was shabby, disrespectful and the food was appalling. We are not people who are prone to complain, but I would urge anyone who is considering this hotel, PLEASE DON'T !!!!!!!!!! This hotel should not be booked by Thomas Cook or anyone else. Go elsewhere, please.

Room Tip: My advice is.........Don't stay in this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nanamailuv
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The staff are very rude ,wi-fi is not working I paid for used and they didn't give me the money back.Location of the room terrible due to excessive noise.The room was hot ,no A.C , Breakfast was the basic with cold coffee

Room Tip: The staff was rude. I paid for Wi-Fi which didn't work and I didn't use. I was not reimburse...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends