“Good location, Bad setting”
Review of Hotel Mondial

Hotel Mondial
Ranked #334 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“Good location, Bad setting”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

The good - Location! Just off Termini, next to a metro, right off Via Nazionale. Wine shop with snacks downstairs. Great!

The bad -
the bed is a joined two single bed which cuts in the middle (not a real king/queen double matress). The matress itself is very hard. The blankets are singles, joined by some hack which breaks in the middle of the night...pretty luch ruined it.
The room key doesnt work quite often and you have to go downstairs, sometimes twice to make it work.

The is no tea/cofee in the room. Mo drinks no bar either. Just a small fridge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked this hotel on-line because we know the chain, the price was good, and we wanted something just for one night near Termini train station. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that it was an old-style luxury hotel with faded opulent decor and old-fashioned bar and sitting room. Our room was enormous. The furnishings were a little old and there were some gaps in the housekeeping, but it was clean and comfortable enough for our purposes. The electric outlets in the room were all for the 3-in-a-row Italian-style plug and we couldn't use them for our European plugs.

We had some problems with the room safe and we had to get someone to come and open it for us, which they did with absolutely no problem.

The posted price for breakfast is 64 euros per person! Obviously, we didn't pay that much, but when we saw this, we were really curious to see what they could possibly be serving. In fact, it was a rather typical hotel breakfast spread served in a rather ordinary room. Still, perfectly adequate for our needs, and definitely worth the rate we paid!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was very happy with my stay.The hotel was very close to termini station and both metro lines are extremely close by.The rooms were modern and clean with a safe.The reception area is clean but could do with a decor update and the breakfast was average but overall I would have no hesitation booking the hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Best Western Mondial
Sorry to say, the management of Best Western Hotel Mondial is run like (by?) a Roman street hustler on the prowl. Unfortunately, There are resort places all over the world that see the travelers who come there as cattle, either to be milked or slaughtered. Rome is no exception. In my opinion, 4 star hotels should be a place to rest and relax away from that “take ‘em over” attitude. In the Best Western Modial, I got charged 51 Euro for, well, I do not know. I asked 3 people behind the desk, I got three answers. It is either a Roman room tax, or a room guarantee, or a surcharge for holding my room. I did check in exactly on time, so it was neither late, nor early. So, it started with a bad taste in my mouth.
Perhaps the best reason for my avid dislike of this hotel is the terrible experience I had arranging an airport shuttle. When I arrived, I found a flyer in my room for a shuttle for 18 euro (a bit less than $25 US). It said that it was a shared shuttle, so please reserve a space, because it fills up quickly. I went to the desk to reserve a spot 5 days ahead. Three times the desk clerk tried to talk me into the private shuttle (for 48 euro) which at this writing is around $64 US. Just by chance, less than 24 hours ahead of my departure, I asked about the shuttle when I went to print my boarding pass. This, by the way, was a minor nightmare in itself, getting to get the computer to connect with the internet, connecting the printer etc. Anyway, back to my shuttle – I was told by the man at the front desk, “Oh sir, you cancelled that!” No, I absolutely did not, after talking to two or three other employees; I found out that the shuttle needs 3 person minimum to go to the airport. So without my knowledge I was cancelled from arranged way to the airport. This was never said, or even hinted to, it was a complete shock. If I did not ask, I would have come down to the lobby, with no notification, with my bags packed, and the only way to the airport…You got it, the 65 US dollar shuttle. This certainly makes you wonder about the prevailing philosophy of customer service in this place. When I finally talked to the manager he told me that the only other alternative was to walk to the train station (with my bags) and take the train. He actually had the gall to tell me that I would benefit from the walk. Considering the fact that I am 63 years old, and a five block walk with three pieces of luggage is, at best uncomfortable, that has to be a terrible example of indifference to the needs of the customer.
I will never be back. I never will recommend Best Western Mondial.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank sjs4711

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Altrincham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located - short walking distance from the main train station (Termini) and the two main underground lines. It offers only breakfast (good buffet) and no evening meal but there are loads of restaurant nearby. The staff is very friendly and has a good sense oh humour!
I can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were very pleased with our 3 day stay at Best Western Hotel Mondial in mid-Oct 2013. Normally we don't use Best Western in the States, but they are much better overseas. Mondial is conveniently located near Piazza Repubblica, Opera House, and near Termini. Public areas have old world charm, but the rooms are large, modern & nicely appointed. The bathroom was big compared to most Rome hotels and the shower/tub arrangement was good. Nice breakfast with scrambled eggs, and the usual cold cuts, breads, cereal, fruit, juice, etc. Helpful front desk staff speaks good English. Computer & internet available in lobby.
Located next door to wonderful Restaurant Otto on one side and a great gelato place on the other. There is a money changing place across the street but they charge 5%. Walk around the block so you are approx. behind the hotel and there is a Western Union money changing place with competitive rates and no service charge - saved me $30 when converting 600 US to Euros.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor fronting the street and really could not hear the street noise - except for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I spent three days at this hotel on my fifth trip to Rome. This hotel is close to everything. This stay was wonderful. Travelled by myself and felt very safe. Will definitely return. Good experience. The train station is a few blocks away. Nice restaurants in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo