“Great hotel for the Rugby”
Review of Hotel Mondial

Hotel Mondial
Ranked #328 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel 3 times now when we visit Rome for the Scotland v Italy game; always a friendly reception and always a free drink from the manager. The hotel is a 5 min walk from the train/bus station and reasonably priced for the Rugby. Will be going back in 2014 and 2016 .... highly recommended. Also very close to the Irish pubs so not far to walk home.

• Stayed: March 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Terrible attitude from hotel staff when asking them to fix the safe box, leaking bathroom, and loud noise from other rooms. Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel! Don't stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: Never choose this hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ninimimi
Reviewed September 24, 2012

the check in time is late. we got there at 1 ,we left our luggage and went for a walk when we came back at 3 (the check in time) they said that the room is not ready and we'll have to wait for an hour to clean the room although check out was at 11am.
the location is good near the roma termini (main station of rome) and all the main sites.
no free wifi even in public areas.and u have to pay 10euros per day for the internet.
the breakfast wasnt a blast also. its a small room and sometimes ull have to wait few minutes to have a place to sit.and the plates and cups smell.
the rooms are clean.
all in all its a good hotel since clean and good location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank madonnakhalil
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived early, so couldn't check-in, but the hotel allowed us to leave our bags in the secure luggage room, which was great. However, they wouldn't allow us to take our suitcase to a washroom to change clothes, so we had to do some unpacking in the lobby! Apparently, this was more acceptable for the image of the hotel than being seen carrying a small bag into the toilets.

The room was excellent and had the best hotel bed that we have ever slept in - big and very comfortable.

Breakfast buffet was mediocre, but plentiful.

The best part was the location - five minutes from the Termini station and within walking distance of many sites and good restaurants.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotel was clean and tidy, the rooms were small but freshly refurbished and very clean. I had 3 issues with the hotel, judge yourself if these are problems for you.
1: Wifi internet cost 10 Euros per day and required you to go to the reception each day and get another wifi code. They just ask you for your room number, which brings me to....
2: I was charged an extra 10 Euros on the final bill. When i queried it the host told me it was for internet, but i had kept track of how many internet charges i had made and it wasn't it. He then said it was for a movie (i did not purchase any movies) . He then said that it didnt matter, it's already been charged and there's nothing he can do about it. What has obviously happened, is that they've charged someone else's internet to my room by accident, but he wouldn't discuss any further. poor customer service here.
3: Breakfast for me was great but they need to get another coffee machine. every morning there were lines for coffee, sometimes i just gave up and went without.

I would give another hotel a try but in the same location. Location was great and close to many of the famous sites and good fro transport.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Erinday
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I chose the Mondial because of it's location, about 5 minutes from Termini, and near to the main sites in Rome, (Collosseum, Forums etc)
I was checked in quickly when I got there, and was allowed to leave my luggage until the room was ready. When I did come back my luggage was carried up to my room for me. The room itself was an adequate size with a double bed, desk and telly and came with air conditioning which was very welcome. There are no tea or coffee facilities automatically provided, but you can phone reception and ask for them and they'll bring up a kettle, tea and coffee etc, for a small room service charge.
I had a poor view out of my window, I was at the back and I overlooked a sort of small flat roof\courtyard with the walls just stretching upwards. I am not bothered about a view, as I only go there to sleep but this may bother some of you, so worth mentioning. Having said that, it made for a nice quiet room, was not disturbed at all so would actually prefer one of these rooms again.
The room was cleaned everyday and was spotless, you had the option of having your towels and bed changed everyday if you wanted.
The breakfast staff were friendly and polite. There was a good choice of breakfast at the buffet, cold meats, cheese, cereals, pastries, toast, scrambled eggs and a coffee machine with a selection of coffees. You could have a decent breakfast to set you up for the day. Breakfast was served between the very reasonable hours of 6.45 and 10am meaning you could get an early start out to Rome.
The bar was cosy and you could sit in the bar room itself or in the more comfy chairs next door. Your drink is bought to you and the barman that was there when I went - I think his name was Lucio? - was friendly and offered a recommendation on a drink. I was travelling on my own and was the only person in the bar but did not feel uncomfortable sat on my own as the atmosphere was very relaxed.
I stayed for 5 nights altogether and wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again, ideal location, great staff and reasonable rate.

Room Tip: despite lack of view I would prefer a room at the back of the hotel as they were quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank master_midian
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for a week and what a big mistake I’ve made choosing it. The room was spacious but cold and we couldn’t change the temperature in the room because the a/c is centralized, you can only turn it on or off and increase or decrease the fan power . The only possibility to get warmer was to use the extra blanket. My fiancee forgot the heat on (winter time) at maximum power and we got up in the middle of the night by the noise of the fan when they turned on the system. Very unpleasant. They also had some rooms ‘’under construction’’ and unfortunately one of them was close to ours. In weekend was ok but from Monday they started working at 8am and that was not very good for us in holiday. The breakfast was included in the rate but we’ve tried it only one time because was awful. Asked for orange juice, they got us pineapple one, no fresh fruit were available at 9.30 am, the scrambled eggs was raw, the cappuccino was colored water. We also had some problems with the internet connection and some overcharges to the bill. We have spoken with a guy at reception about our complains and asked to speak also with the manager, he referred to me he is going to be in the hotel the next morning so next morning I was down in the lobby waiting for the manager and guess what!! The same receptionist guy presented to me as the Head of Reception and told me I could speak with him…hmm What?!?!?? I have also made a complain in writing to the manager of the hotel and today, after more than 6 months, I still have no answer from them. Bad hotel with bad service and no assistance to clients at all. If I will ever go back to this hotel, NO, will I ever suggest it to any of my friends, NO.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple