“good location, but but very unreliable internet and small rooms”
Review of Hotel Forum Roma

Hotel Forum Roma
Ranked #192 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Diamond Bar, California
“good location, but but very unreliable internet and small rooms”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I booked this hotel for a 4 night stay while in town for business, but ended up staying for only 1 night. The hotel may be fine for leisure travel, but not suitable for working, or staying long periods in the room.

The check-in process was fine, and staff seemed pretty friendly. I was given a voucher for a welcome drink. However, I was told that I arrived too late at night (8 pm) to actually use the voucher.

The room itself is very small, and the decor is pretty old fashioned, though some may consider it rustic Italian charm. I would personally leave this type of historic building with character for sightseeing only, and be able to retire to a calm oasis with modern amenities. Cleanliness seemed decent, but be on the look out for insects that may fly into your room from the window. The window was open when I first got in. The bathroom is also small - I am a slim female, and had issues with my elbows knocking on the shower knob while shampooing.. unintentionally giving myself a cold shower. I don't know how an average sized guy would be able to manage it.

The location is probably the best thing about this hotel. It's a close walk to the Colosseum and lots of shopping. Also, being right across from the Forum, it presents pretty views from the breakfast room.

Breakfast itself was an unimpressive spread, but the croissants were definitely delicious. You can order hot items for an extra fee, but the normal items include cereals and pastries, and 1 variety of cheese and cold meat.

The #1 reason why I decided to switch hotels was due to the poor internet connection. The primary reason for my trip was business, requiring a constantly reliable internet connection. Although the staff gave me the unexpected perk of 48 hours access to the wifi for free (they normally charge for it), it was almost unusable, and I'd have been even more upset if I had to pay for it. They did try to accommodate my concern by suggesting I wait until there was less guest traffic on the system, and offering access to the front desk's hard wire line, but that wouldn't work for my case. The desk and chair in the room are also not suitable for working.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The Forum Hotel is a place I have longed to stay at for years and years, and eventually my dream came true and we went for a 3 night stay during Dec 2010. The hotel is in a fabulous location and if you enjoy walking you can walk to any of the major attractions in the city from here. We even walked to the Vatican city! By walking you see so many wonderful sights that would be missed travelling by bus, train or taxi. I would also recommed you have a guided tour at the major attractions; we used a company called dark Rome and they were absolutely fantastic!
The hotel itself was small and quaint. The rooms, were small and clean. A longer stay than 3 nights may make you feel a little claustrophobic after a while, but if you are out all day and most of the night, like us, it's fine. The room was like a sauna, and even after turning the heating off in the room we still at night slept with the windows open becuase it was so warm in the room - and I love heat!!! The problem with the windows open is the noise that starts at 5am. The shouting of delivery men, the incessant beeping of car/van horns, the driving of traffic over the cobble stonesoutside the hotel disturbs your sleep, but somehow, this all adds to the charm of this hotel and at it gets you up early for breakfast and out of that door early to explore this wonderful city.
The breakfast at the hotel is mainly cake and crossaints. There is bacon and scrambled egg, tinned fruit and cereal options as well. There is also a small breakfast menu that there is a charge for, but unless you are a coeliac (allergy to wheat, gluten), like my partner, the choice is ample. We did have a dinner in the rooftop restaurant, and although the atmosphere there was very good, the food did not live up to my expectations. In fact it was the worst meal and the most expensive we ate in the whole of our stay. We had three courses each and the only enjoyable one was my spaghetti carbonara. The veal I had was cold and tough and my the melon in my starter of melon and St Danielle ham was not ripe and utterly tasteless. My partner ordered a crab, beef and prawn starter and it was a matter of hunt the 2 prawns and teaspoon of crab and as for the beef it was nowhere to be seen, in a huge glass of shredded lettuce (I think this cost us close on 20 euros!!). He then had a herb risotto which was inedible due to it being undercooked and his main course of veal cordon bleu, the veal was tough and stringy. The whole bill came to almost £200 with one bottle of wine. When I complained to the manager she apologise and shrugged her shoulders and dismissed my complaint, just asking me if the service we had recieved was good, to which I replied that the service was fine - I was not best pleased as you can imagin, and this is the only reason I would not return to this hotel again! Even a complimentary dink would have gone someway to making us feel better but no, nothing! Be warned, choose your food wisely at the restaurant or eat elsewhere! For example..........
We had the most fantastic meal at a restaurant called Cybo, on the Via di Tor Millina, a road off the Piazza Narvone. Here we had four courses and an after dinner liqueur each, and a bottle of wine for just slighlty less than the price we paid at the Forum Hotel. We were also given complimentary coffee. Plus, my partner was overjoyed when he found out they had gluten free pasta. The service here was also excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful and this put all the dinners at ease, so much so we all ended up talking to each other! A fantastic evening! I would highly recommend it on our experience! There was also a lovely restaurant we had lunch at by the panthenon, I just can't remember the name!! However, another good place to lunch is down a road which is opposite the entrance to the Vatican Museum. Again I can't remember the name, but if you cross the road outside the museum entrance walk down some step you can see the restaurant on you right a little further down the road.
We walked the length and breadth of Rome in 3 days and it was one of the most special and enjoyable holidays/breaks I have ever had. In every bar and restaurant we ended up talking to people and the atmosphere was great. :) The Forum Hotel was an adequate place to stay,in a great location, however, I would say there are better in the same area. The only thing for us that put a slight disappointing edge to our stay was The Forum Restaurant and the manger's attitude to our complaint. :(
PS Two drinks (a brandy and coke plus a brandy and lemonade) at the bar in the Forum cost us 28euro!!! Walk down the road for your drinks!! They will still be expensive- because it's Rome-, but still half of this price!
PSS Watch out for the Roman legionnaire!! To have a photograph taken with them cost 20euros and you use your camera and take the picture yourself!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Hotel Forum is a great value hotel particularly for families traveling together. Their family room has 2 separate rooms, a small anteroom, 1 separate toilet and 1 toilet and bath. It is a little quaint with comfortable beds. It might get a little noisy at night though if you open the windows because it is adjacent to a bar. Housekeeping cleans the room daily and replenishes toiletries accordingly. They have a very helpful Concierge Service, especially Massimo, who kindly assisted us with all our travel queries. Continental Breakfast is served daily from 7-10:30 a.m. with option for scrambled eggs et al for an extra fee. The elevators though are really small - good for 4 persons but you can always opt to take the stairs. Location is excellent and the view at the restaurant is to die for. They say that the best way to explore Rome is by foot but if you hate a lot of walking, you may opt for a private your. Ask Massimo for Mauricio - he is a very good tour guide and is worth every Euro. He has a nice, clean, spacious van with a smooth drive. The only thing we were disappointed about was the hotel's exclusive endorsement of Vastours to explore the rest of Rome/Italy. We booked with them twice and on both occasions, they failed to meet our expectations. First, the driver dropped us off in the middle of the city on our second day in Rome. We got lost and had a hard time getting a cab to get us back into the hotel. Massimo complained to Vastours on our behalf and got us a 10% discount for our next tour to Naples Capri AnaCapri and guess what? Vastours cancelled out last minute halfway through the trip because they waited for late passengers and the bus had problems with the aircon's whatever. Otherwise, Hotel Forum is a great place to stay, especially if you have children and want to stay together.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mariagarcia17
London
Reviewed October 19, 2010

On arrival we requested a room with a view and this was arranged with little fuss. The hotel is in a great location (walking distance of the Forum/Palatino/Colosseum) and the views are stunning.
Exceptionally clean in all areas. Welcoming and pleasant staff at all levels. Particular thanks to Maria, Anna, Ariel and Dante.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
DirezioneRoma, Direttore at Hotel Forum Roma, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which we have shared with all our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Umbria
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We've been guested at the Forum Hotel for 1 night in July 2010.
Perfectly located to visit the town.
The Room was very nicely furnished, good facilities, just the TV was "very old standard" in our room.
Abundant breakfast served in the restaurant area with view on the fori romani.
The staff was very nice and helpful.
They invited us for a free aperitivo at the bar located over the restaurant on a little balcony.
We also had dinner at their restaurant, good food but a bit overpriced in my opinion, I guess you pay more for the very careful service they give you there.
Overall a really nice stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Went for lunch at the restaurant here, wasn't staying in the hotel and found the service to be extremely good. The food was excellent, simple but delicious. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Would definitely recommend it and if you get a chance, go up onto the roof terrace to look out over the ruins - fantastic!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I took my girlfriend to Rome for a long weekend in February. Firstly as a birthday surprise, but more importantly to propose to her. So when choosing a hotel, I was looking for one with a memorable character and charm. I was certainly not disappointed with what I found at the Hotel Forum Rome.

The location was superb! There were wonderful views over The Forum, Capitol and Palatine Hills and Trajan Market from our room, which was itself elegantly furnished and plenty big enough for our stay. The Coliseum and metro station were only a five minute walk from the hotel, so it proved to be ideal for our weekend of sight-seeing.

The staff were always friendly and very helpful; the concierge recommending a lovely intimate restaurant when we were looking for somewhere to celebrate our engagement, and the bar manager taking us to the rooftop bar (which was closed for the winter season) for some photos to commemorate it.

The Hotel Forum is certainly not the cheapest place to stay in Rome, but for our first visit to Rome and for such a special occasion, it was absolutely perfect.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple