“BEST staff in all Europe combined!”

Hotel Giolli Nazionale
Ranked #373 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Carlos and Pedro... the younger genteman, I don't remember his name... all equal perfection in staff in all of Europe. I could not believe how kind they were... we had quite a few laughs (all at my expense, ha ha, but well deserved!) They were very nice. Helpful.

The breakfast was very good... one day we had to leave extra early for an excursion and they were very kind and let us eat super early.

The room itself. Sadly, this is where we became unhappy. Our window looked into a wall... the beds were like concrete and the bathroom was a big step up to get to and then the cleaning products were very overpowering.

Good location... and would probably go back just to talk to the front desk staff... they were so helpful.

Room Tip: Just don't view the busy street...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MPLSMINN2012

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I'm not good at english grammer, however I hope you can understand my opinion.

I and my colleague was staid this hotel for 5 days on May 2012.
All of staffs in hotel Giolli was very kind, and they tried to do everythin what the guests wants.

At first day, the condition of my colleague's room was terrible. As soon as we enter the room, the smell of mildew caught us and we could find some part of wall got moldy. We asked to change the room by another and the staff accept it and treated the mildew by mildew remover spray. Because of no vacancy at that night my colleague slept in that room, but she could move to another clean room at next day.

In Rome, the most part of hotels are very old and small and sharing the various functional space in a building. Before making reservation to this hotel, we already knew about that. Therefore we can understood this situations easily.

Although the breakfast was supplied the same menus in all 5-days, it was good for us.

In the room, we cannot found any tea kettle for boiling the water. But the staff supported hot water whenever we want (we just want to eat cup noodles).

Although I will visit Rome again on this month (Oct 15~21), we will not stay hotel Giolli. We found another hotel that is near the metro station.

Although this hotel offered very good experiences to us, it took a little bit much time to reach metro station. And this hotel was located beside the big road (Via nazionale), I could not into a sleep easily because of some traffic noises.

Best:
Kind staff, Free Wireless Internet access, Room cleaning service, Nice breakfast, Good location for sightseeing, Taxi stop was located directly over the road, Supermaket was located closed to the hotel, Air conditioner was work well, Luggage keeping service was possible, Hot/Cold water pressure were good... and so on..

Poor:
Small size room, Small spaced elevater, ...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ammtto
HotelGiolliRoma, Direttore at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Ammtto,
Thank you for taking the time to write feedback about our hotel, we really appreciate this. Feedback positive or negative help us as a hotel to grow as a team, develop new polices & procedures and improve on areas we might over look.
At Hotel Giolli, we strive to exceed customer satisfaction and expectations. We are very lucky to have very experienced and professional staff working for as for many years. We apologies again for any inconveniences with the room and I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the outcome. All our windows within the hotel are sound proof, so unless when you went to sleep you left the window open it is impossible to hear any noise from the street. All our rooms and different sizes due to different standards. E.g. our double rooms are larger then out single rooms.
Ammtto I am sorry to hear that you didn’t want to return back to our hotel due to location, because we are only minutes walk to the metro. But I do hope you enjoyed your stay in Rome once again.
Thank you again for writing a review on our hotel and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The best way to describe this place would be to say that the hotel was awful and we couldnt wait to leave the room to go exploring.
The hotel is in an old building shared with other establishments and when we arrived the check in too over 1 hour as the man behind the desk was so rude and awkward with everyone. There was barely any room in reception for everyone checking in that people were queuing on the staircase.
The room was very large but so old you would half expect the cupboard door to come off anytime you opened it. I appreciate the building was old and quaint but to have uneven floors is very tiresome to say the least. The bathroom was old with cracked tiles everywhere and the room as a whole was very uncomfortable.
The breakfast was very very poor. The staff could not speak english and it was very difficult to communicate with them. Even the coffee which we were looking forward to was very bland filter coffee which was way below standard. When you order a "special coffee" such as a cappuccino it takes them forever to make it and it arrives cold!
The advantages of this hotel however is how close it was to everything we wanted to see. It was 10 minutes walk to the colloseum and 20 minutes to the trevi fountain. We found that its central location was perfect for us as we could walk to anywhere and loved it!!!
I would definitely love to go for another weekend break to Rome but would never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maroo3
HotelGiolliRoma, Manager at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear valid guest of Hotel Giolli, maroo3.
Thank you for your feedback and your prospective of our hotel, we truly appreciate this.
I am very sad to hear that your experience at our hotel was unsatisfied and I wish that at the time you would have voiced your experience that you have currently wrote so that we could have fulfilled your needs and fixed any problems that you were having.
This month being high season in Rome, all hotels are extremely busy, we have a waiting room and bar that you could have waited in and seated for when we were ready to check you in, we provide all our guests who have to wait with a coffee, internet, water and even something small to eat.
I am sorry but I am a little unsure of what you mean by ‘uneven floors’ . Our room and bathrooms are regularly checked from individual hotel organizations to ensure we are reaching our standard of stars.
With regards to the breakfast all the items are bought fresh in the morning. All our coffee is made from the coffee machine with fresh beans and as we have mentioned above if the coffee was cold we wish you would have come to us as it happened so we could have made you another one.
I would just like to clarify with you that, like we have mentioned in past review, all our reception staff speak fluent in a number of different languages, English being an international, therefore all our reception staff read and write fluently in English. Personally I really doubt that you have been in our hotel since all our reception staff speak English.
We are very fortunate to be situated where we are, in the future if you have any queries or enquires for any establishment, you really need to speak up so that the establishment can fix any problems you may have. If nothing is said no one will ever know there is something that needs assistance.
I would love to know why you are complaining after one year and not report to our manager at the time of when this happened. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we would love for you to return so that we can show you what we are capable of when we are faced with a client who is unsatisfied. We love to exceed our clients expectations and fulfill their needs and wants.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Location is good in relation to major sites, train station at the end of the street and taxi over the road. It is on a really busy road but our room was quiet. Recommend not eating on the busy street walk down towards the colosseum. Rooms are clean and tidy a little dated in decor. The staff we were very helpful in directing us. Our only issue was the quality of the air conditioning we needed a fan in addition but we stayed in some very hot weather. Overall it was a decent and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank jemgri
HotelGiolliRoma, Front Office Manager at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Jemgri,
we appreciate you taking the time to write our hotel a review, your feedback helps in the success of our hotel.
We are very fortunate to have our hotel situated where it is, like you have mentioned very close and just walking distance to a lot of the land marks that Rome has to offer. If they are too far to walk we have bus stops right in front of our hotel and a tourist information office were you can buy all tickets from..
The reason as to why you were not able to hear traffic from the busy road in front of our hotel is that all our windows are sound proof, so our clients can have a peace full and relaxing stay.
We apologies for the weather is Rome, the last few months have really been unbearable for all of us.
Thank you for your kind words Jemgri and we hope so see you soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

My family and I stayed here July 2012 and the we found the staff to be very rude. The night before we left we had returned from Venice and found that someone had urinated all over the safe in the closet. All of my personal items including passport were were soaked with urine as it had leaked through the safe. The manager couldnt believe me and blamed it on us when we werent at the hotel for 2 days. The manager was very rude and said they watched the video footage from the hallway and said the only one that entered the room was the cleaning lady. I asked if i could see the video myself and they said i was not allowed. Yeah....of course! Rooms are very small and very hot. I do not recommend anyone stay here unless you want your crap urinated on.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bigbus80
HotelGiolliRoma, Owner at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Bigbus80,
Your review is a lye and has a lot of holes in it, we remember this appalling situation very clearly because I have never seen or have heard of something like this in my entire career.
First of all it wasn’t you and your “family” it was you and your girlfriend in one room and you had two other rooms of friends , secondly you stayed with us during July 2011 not July 2012.
You, your girlfriend and your friends never went to Venice, That night you had arrived from a night out very drunk and noisy, in the morning your girlfriend had got up and come down to reception to tell us her problem. The receptionist went to the room and had noticed a bag of urine on the ground and around the room. So you must try and think and ask yourself who urinated in your room out of your friends, yourself or your girlfriend during the night while you were sleeping (you mean that someone entered the room while you were sleeping?
I don’t understand, after all this you stayed another night. We really regret letting you stay, we only let you stay because there were no other hotels that had space.
I am the manager and had never spoken to you, I only know what had happened because my colleagues wanted to call the police because you were so intoxicated and noisy.
Just to prove that you are lying, You have written that - while having your booking at our hotel you went to Venice for two days and when arriving back at our hotel you had found that someone had urinated all over the safe in the closet, that it soaked through the safe and soaked all your personal items including your passport. I would like to ask you firstly how does any type of liquid soak through a metal safe? Secondly when you went to Venice why didn’t you bring your passport with you and your personal belongings?
Why you have chosen to write this lye is beyond me. It makes me sick that you are your friends think it was funny to urinate all over the room.
We are really sorry for not calling the police.
We are very surprise that Tripadvisor has allowed this review to be published.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My sister and I stayed there for 2 nights in June. So convenient, right across the street from the taxi stand. Easy walk to anywhere we wanted to go. The person at the desk was so helpful, gave us a map, and offered us assistance. We finally figured out that we needed our room key to work the ac. We were there during the hot time in June. Wonderful!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fran J
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family and I spent 3 nights in Rome at the Hotel Giolli recently. The hotel is a 3 Star hotel, but I just have to think that it a mistake. The rooms are old and HOT, bathrooms leaky and moldy and we had ants in the rooms and bathrooms. I couldn't get clean for 3 days of staying there. The breakfast was included in our stay, but we never ate it because it never looked fresh. Warm yogurt and foul meat and eggs... no thanks.

The staff and owners were very nice and helpful for sights to see and where to eat-- but that really is the ONLY positive I have to say about this hotel. The photos on the hotel's website MUST have been done years ago-- or are doctored because we saw nothing like what is presented on the website.

Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lbrankin
HotelGiolliRoma, Owner at Hotel Giolli Nazionale, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear unknown client,

Firstly regarding your room being “old, too hot, having leaks, mould in the bathrooms, ants around the room and that you couldn’t get clean for three days” this is impossible for a number of reasons: reason number one being none of our rooms are like this, when the rooms are cleaned our cleaners have a number of different things that they must look at when cleaning the room and to check, secondly if all of this is true why wouldn’t you let one of our receptionist staff know so that we could have helped you.

Secondly with our breakfast, we must meet OH&S regulations, meaning all our food must be and is bought fresh daily, our yoghurts, juices, water, soft drinks, meats and eggs are all refrigerated according to regulations. To ensure that we are doing this there are special departments around Rome regrading food hygiene that do random checks.

Lastly the point regarding our website room photos, quoted from your review “The photos on the hotel's website MUST have been done years ago-- or are doctored because we saw nothing like what is presented on the website” what you have just written makes no sense, if our photos were done years ago doesn’t that mean our rooms would look different due to the act they have been updated or look the same as the photos if we haven’t updated?

We strongly believe that you have never been in our hotel, due to the fact we don’t know your real name or date of arrival, in conclusion I find this review very hard to believe, that you’re a real client and that you are someone who is trying to harm us.