“The helpful staff, excellent service, and location of the hotel will make your stay in Rome a memorable one!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barocco Hotel

Barocco Hotel
Ranked #16 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Barocco in Rome, Italy the last week of October 2009 for our honeymoon. The hotel in the Piazza Barberini. It does not have a grand entrance so is hard to see from the street. You actually have to go down the side street to go into the hotel’s entrance. Once inside, there was a large arrangement of fresh flowers that made the lobby smell wonderful. The lobby is small and the elevator even smaller. I was a little worried getting on it being it barely holds 3 people with luggage, but we didn’t get stuck.

The positive: We had the honeymoon package, so we stayed in a junior suite. It was a very nice room. There were a dozen long stemmed red roses in our room when we arrived, which added a nice romantic feel to the sitting area. There was also fresh fruit set out in our room daily. Our balcony was huge and had a wonderful view of the square. The rooms next to us had a wall around most of their balcony, so we were fortunate to be able to look out over the square. The room was fairly quiet. You could hear some of the street noise outside, but if you closed the outside shutters of the windows, it was not bothersome at all. The hotel staff was very friendly and spoke very good English. Each concierge was able to assist us in recommendations for a place to eat and in directions to get there or anywhere else in the city. Their recommendations were always excellent choices for the types of places we wanted to eat. If you need an iron and ironing board the hotel will bring you one on request, but it does not stay in the room. Anytime we had a request (like needing a converter plug, the iron, etc.) the hotel staff would have it to our room within five minutes. I was very impressed with the service. Unfortunately we only got to eat breakfast one morning our entire stay due to leaving early for tours (and sleeping in), but it was very good and the food was fresh (eggs, thinly sliced bacon, cheeses, coffee cakes, etc). The location of the hotel was excellent. Most of the sites and good places to eat were a 5-10 minute walk. The Coliseum and Vatican would be a too far to walk, but the Spanish Steps, Pantheon, St. Mary’s Basilica, Fontana Trevi, and many others were well within walking distance. The hotel also has an airport transfer for Euro 50, which I would recommend using as it will be a private car with plenty of room (unlike the taxi’s that are small, compact cars). The hotel will arrange for the transfer. The hotel also arranges for taxis if you need one to go anywhere. All you have to do is let the front desk know 2-3 minutes before you’re ready to leave and the taxi will be there that quickly.

The negative: The king bed was firm, but in doing reviews I read this seems to be typical in Rome. The bathroom is a little small by American standards, but was still nice. I would recommend taking your own hairdryer though as the one in the bathroom is not very powerful and takes a bit to warm up, so it took a while to dry my hair. The room has an “old” feel to it, but I liked it given that we were in Rome and I did not want to stay at a typical American hotel. The elevator was out of service about three times while we were there, but not for very long. I would also recommend taking your own converter plug. The hotel let us borrow theirs and it worked fine for charging the cameras, but when I tried to run my small portable fan that I brought with me, it blew out the converter and my fan. It was actually funny after the shock of it wore off!

All-in-all, I would definitely recommend staying at the Hotel Barocco. The helpful staff, excellent service, and location of the hotel will make your stay in Rome a memorable one!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mel1035

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2009

A fine hotel for the money and in a great location. Being that we went off season we were able to get a good price booking through a travel agent. Just minutes walk from the Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and Borghese Gallery. Metro stop (Barberini) was on the corner. The room was small (as most are in Europe) - smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. We stayed in room 40. It was quiet as it didn't face the street which was nice. The bed was fine (2 twins pushed together). Linens were decent and small armoire to put clothes. They could probably use updating to carpets and linens but for the money it was just fine. The bath was a good size although no counter space to put your things. No tub but decent shower. Only one bad thing was a funky smell from the shower drain which was easily fixed by opening the window in the shower. I have had the same thing happen in older hotels in Europe. The hotel was very clean and the staff was good. Front desk was helpful in getting information on sightseeing and arranging car for the airport. Breakfast was okay, nothing special but convenient to have in the hotel. All in all, a good value and would stay again on another trip to Rome.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lemnos99
Bozeman, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

Hotel Barocco turned out to be just the right location and price for seeing Rome. The staff were quite helpful (especially the front desk) and the breakfast staff were so friendly and polite. The room was clean, with high ceilings, lots of marble and a very comfortable huge bed (we stayed in "The Annex" which is an apartment building attached to Hotel Barocco). Our room (#50) was quiet but did not have an outside view (we knew that before we arrived). Everything the hotel told me in e-mails before our arrival was accurate.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Barocco in Rome for just one night while in the city for work. It made a nice change from all the chain hotels that I usually stay in. Though not sure I would want to stay more than a night or two here.

The hotel is in a good location right in the centre of things, but as the hotel is in an alley off the busy square (so can be hard to find!) it is very quiet. The staff are very helpful and friendly and speak excellent English, and so make visitors feel welcome.

I was in the annex which is 2 doors down and up on the 1st floor. It seems that the block the annex in is an apartment block and they have a section of it that they have made into 4 or 5 rooms. The room was large and traditionally decorated with oil painting style pictures, big drapes and heavy dark furniture. It was classy. The bed is large but not that comfortable. The bathroom is huge with large bath and separate shower.

Internet access is available by wireless but very expensive at 8 Euros for an hour!

There is a small breakfast room with a fairly good spread on a buffet and staff that was helpful and fast.

I did find the room a bit oppressive as there is one narrow window onto the back of other apartments and so spending time in the room would not be that great. The central heating was a bit oppressive as well as only very hot even at lowest level.

Overall a very cost effective hotel with good prices, very clean and smart. But for me fine for a short stop, but would not like to stay longer as felt a bit oppressive but if using it as base for sightseeing or business then is a good option.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

Stayed 3 days - great staff, a block from the Metro. Walking distance to the Tivoly Fountain, Spanish Steps, central location. Ended up extending one day and was upgraded to a suite at a lower rate than booked on hotel.com. I would recommend calling direct for the best rates.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. The hotel is on a side street off of a nearby plaza, so we never had an issues with noise in the room. Our room was in the annex building next door to the hotel. It was small, but comfortable with a great bed and the biggest bathroom I've ever seen in a European hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful - the concierge helped us find a good travel agent to book our train tickets so we could avoid the huge lines at the train station. And the complimentary breakfast was the best of our trip!

The hotel's location is wonderful. There is a subway stop just around the corner, which made getting to the Vatican very easy, and almost everything else was in easy walking distance. We walked to the train station, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon very easily.

I would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank langeah
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

Second visit to the Barocco. Lovely hotel, nice breakfast, very helpful and friendly staff. Location is near lots of shops, restaurants and signtseeing venues. I love Rome and the Barocco makes it even better.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends