“very enjoyable stay”
Review of Barocco Hotel

Barocco Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We expected a small room as we were told rooms were small in this hotel, and in general space does come at premium in Rome... so we were very happy to receive a very comfortable deluxe double room which had been upgraded free of charge from a standard double. I presume that this was because we had a carry cot. Overall the entire hotel has been decorated to a high standard with marble/ cream color pallet. The bed was the best we have slept on and the sheets were clean and fresh, changed every day. The bathroom offered a spacious modern large sink and spacious modern shower with lights. The breakfast was very good offering a wide range of continental breakfast with the addition of ordering hot omelets at no extra charge. Try the traditional italian one with basil - beautiful. All the staff we mature, professional, helpful and very pleasant, something of a premium in the UK. I cannot fault this hotel in anyway. If we return to Rome we will stay here again.

Room Tip: definately upgrade to delux double if you can afford.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank happyoptimistic

Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was looking for a conveniently located four star hotel in Rome for two days at the end of an upscale culinary tour to Bologna and Verona. The Barocco was a wonderful surprise, exceeding all expectations. I booked one month ahead on their website and got a 10% discount. They offered a double room for single use for 175 Euros per night, including breakfast.
I was given a small but gorgeous room with a king sized bed and luxurious bedding beautifully decorated in a neo-classic, Roman style with a very modern, marble bathroom. Steps away from Piazza Barberini, Via Veneto, the Metro and about ten minutes from the Spanish steps. Very good breakfast with the best cappuccino! I considered it a bargain at 175 Euros. They arranged a car to the airport ( Mercedes) for 50 Euro.
Don't be put off by the very small lobby or the entrance off the alley, Via de la Purificazione.
I would consider it an outstanding value and would recommend it to anyone, single, group or family.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2011

On our short stay in Rome, late May of this year, we had the good fortune to stay at the Hotel Barocco. Our room overlooked the Triton Fountain in the Piazza Barberini. Our room was spacious, with plenty of cupboard space and a large comfortable bed and well-appointed bathroom. We were impressed with the cleanliness and range of fittings. The location enabled us to easily organise our visits to “tourist attractions”, especially with the excellent advice from the concierge (Christiano) who was incredibly helpful in checking opening times and advising on location and bus/train access when we were not inclined to walk. The included breakfast was a feast from a well-stocked buffet table complimented by an omelette made to order by the chef. This was our third visit to Rome, and in our opinion, it was the most comfortable; due primarily to the excellent facilities and the high quality of service provided by the staff.

Room Tip: don't compromise location, comfort, security and quality of service for price.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

A very good location. The hotel is situated on a side street. A very small reception area. The receptionist was efficient and friendly and so was the concierge. We were upgraded with out request which was nice. The room was large with a large beautiful marble bathroom. Stunning antique furniture all around the room.

There was noise late at night from the corridor, it is not the hotels fault but it did disturb the tranquillity.

The problem was with the breakfast. 2 waitresses which were literally rude and blasé! They did not come to the table for 14 minuets, even though it was not busy. Both were just chatting to each other laughing constantly. I got up and requested coffee for two; the dark hair waitress looked at me with a rather unpleasant stare. She came to the table to take our order, but was cold and unfriendly. My wife was rather upset by her approach. It did ruin our meal.

The bar service at night was very good and the wine delicious.

On our check out after we were asked how our stay was, I informed the receptionist about the breakfast incident. He thought I was joking! I advised him that I was not. He explained that the waitress that we were talking about is very shy. I said in reply - She was certainly not shy to us!
I expect from a hotel in this calibure which has a good reputation, to employ affable and polite stuff not a rude an impolite stuff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sea98
francocaruso, Direttore generale at Barocco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to respond in regards to your experience at the Hotel Barocco:
1. You say that you were offered a free upgrade and your comments on the room were much appreciated;
2. The staff at Reception were friendly and efficient, and this comment will also be very well received by the Reception Staff. I know they work very hard each day to satisfy the requests of guests from all over the world;
3. In regards to the noise in the hallway, I can only presume that some guests, who returned late in the evening, were not careful enough in realizing that others would be sleeping. I am sorry for this inconvenience and apologize on their behalf;
4. You enjoyed the bar service and the wines suggested. Our Barman has just finished the intermediate course as a sommelier and is currently attending the third and final course. He is courteous and professional and this makes a stop at the bar a pleasant experience;
5. The waitresses at the breakfast were, instead, unfriendly with you and did not maintain the level of service for which we are normally commended, as you can see from other reviews. On this point, I am not sure what went wrong but will certainly raise it with the staff members in question to avoid any future incidents of this nature and which definitely do not place the guest at ease. Since we normally receive lots of positive comments on the breakfast service, It is probably for this reason that when you referred the event to the Reception they thought you may have just been joking and did not take the required action.
In conclusion, I agree with you that the staff of a hotel with our reputation must have the characteristics which you describe and it is for this reason that I thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I may take the necessary action.
With kind regards,

Franco Caruso
Hotel Barocco

Reviewed July 2, 2011

The hotel was lovely. The staff was extremely helpful. The room was very clean, cozy, well decorated, and homey with a very nice bathroom! The location was a few minutes from the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.
The breakfast was fantastic! I would recommend this hotel to everyone with no hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tripophil
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Beautiful hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful location with easy access to public transportation. Easy walking distance to many tourist sites.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank twinkie4104
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Just spent 3 nights at the Barocco. I last stayed here in 2006 and it has since been remodeled.
This is a fantastic location - a short walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. The location just couldn't be better.
Our room was small - a little tight for 2 adults. The bathroom was huge - very atypical for Italy. If mood lighting over the shower, rainfall showers, and very modern baths are your thing than this is definitely the place for you. I would have preferred some more closet and storage space to an oversized shower / bathroom.
The staff is great, the breakfasts generous. Must admit though that I missed the older style that existed before the remodel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends