“Love the hotel, location & staff. First class!!”

Marcella Royal Hotel
Ranked #90 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's been a while since we stayed here (April 2011), but we had a fantastic experience. A friend had recommended the hotel to us, since he knew the owner (Marcella), and had stayed there many times himself.

Well, I'd stayed in Rome many times on my own over the past 9 years, and my experiences with hotels have ranged all over the place. The good, the bad, and the UGLY! Even some of the hotels with 4 stars have sorely disappointed me in the past. With all of these experiences in mind, I took a breath, listened to our friend's recommendation and without hesitation, book our first 2 nights in Italy at this hotel.

What an experience. With my paranoia from previous trips, I called from our airport in L.A., just to confirm that they had our booking. "No problem, we look forward to seeing you in Rome.". And it was just that easy. From the moment we arrived, they took care of our every request. The room was very nice, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and the whole experience was a breath of fresh air!

We loved our room, and we loved the rooftop terrace for breakfast and a drink in the evening. What a view!

I highly recommend the hotel for anyone going to Rome on vacation or a business trip. They will spoil you!

Room Tip: We stayed in a "Junior Suite" for a few nights, then on our return to Rome, we booked a &q...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,788)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 3, 2013

There's nothing quite like starting your day with excellent coffee and a full selection of breakfast options on a Rome rooftop overlooking the city. The rooms are quite nice and the staff is very attentive not only to needs at the hotel but where to eat and what to do away from the hotel. They arranged transportation from the airport to the hotel (65 Euros) and from the hotel to the Lakes District where we were to attend a wedding ($$$). I would stay there again!

Room Tip: A room facing the front of the hotel offers a good view and we were only one floor from the rooftop...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013

spent 4 nights at this hotel,in a excellent location, would highly recommend, rooms service and staff were excellent, the highlight being the roof top terrace that overlooks rome, sat there for breakfast, and a drink in the evening, breathtaking

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linda1504
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The staff were amazing - very friendly and helpful. They arranged a private car for us to get back to the airport for 50 euros which was lovely. The roof top bar is beautiful both for breakfast and in the evenings. They don't really push it but they also serve pizza and sandwiches on the roof top bar - just ask for the food menu. Would definitely recommend the hotel - had an amazing time

Room Tip: There was some street noise on the first floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 340Debs
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I went there for 3 nights (business trip with meeting not far).
Good location in the centre of Rome, many restaurants in the vicinity, not far from touristic locations.
Check-in and check-out went rapidly and without any difficulty.
Laundry service quick (given before 10 am -> you get it back in the evening) for a reasonable price.
The room (114) I got is VERY small, as usual in Italy for one-person bedroom. I have to admit that I arrived late on the first evening, so probably the larger rooms were already distributed.
Bed is confortable, wifi is complementary (and this is good) but always slow and not always efficient (it is reasonably stable between 06 and 07 am, or between 06 and 07 pm but you are ejected without warning later at night when everyone tries to connect).
Good breakfast buffet on a very beautiful terrasse (also open in the evening for a drink).
This hotel deserves 4* for some points, but it is expensive if you get such tiny room (I paid 136 €/night, breakfast included). Another room would probably result in another rating.

Room Tip: Try to get a double room for single use.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Didier D
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

we stayed at this hotel from the sixth of june until the 11th of june and found it to be in a reasonably central location considering hotels of the same standardnero to trevi fountain or spanish steps what extortionate in price by comparison. the hotel is very nice and a 4 star rating is exactly correct in my opinion,the staff are very helpful and very polite and all speak excellent english. the rooms are very nice very cleanand have a good nys reduction windows fitted with blinds to ensure a peaceful night's sleep. the rooftop terrace my breakfast is served is spectacular views across to saint peter's basilicaand having breakfast there in the morning is something very special. I'm not sure however if I would recommend any evening meal there as the menu is very limited I would however highly recommend after dinner drinks on the rooftop terrace in the evening as again, the view is very special indeed.
overall I would write this as 1 of the better hotels in rome fairly priced with good standards of cleanliness and very polite staff.

• Stayed: June 2013