“Hotel Borgognoni - Rome” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Dei Borgognoni
Ranked #98 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Hotel Borgognoni - Rome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2006

We stayed at the Borgognoni last week for 5 nights, and were generally very pleased. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, and the location was prime.
The hotel was clean, and the breakfast was basic but nice (try the cappuchino!) The rooms were very quiet, although small. The beds were very hard though. Bathrooms were modern with a good, hot shower,.
We would recommend this hotel, and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Rome.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank Catzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Gatos CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

A family of three we stayed five nights at the Borgognoni and overall were very pleased with our choice. The location is outstanding: five minute walk to Steps and Trevi Fountain, 10 minues to the Pantheon, about 15 to the Colosseo and an estimated 30 mintues to the Vatican should you choose to walk there. Our room, 311, was VERY quiet and comfortable and cleaned twice a day. The staff was helpful but you do need to get over what I'll call a little Italian "attitude." The rooms are small and hotel servies other than breakfast limited....with so many many restaurants close by it didn't matter that Borgognoni lunch terrace wasn't open often. Cable internet is 10 euro for 6 hours which must be used continuously. Wireless, 5 Euro I think for 1/2 hour only works on the first level. We recommend Al Moro especially (near Trevi-try a bottle of the Cordero Montezemolo Barbera D'Alba) and Restorante Alla Rampa (near Piazza di Spagna). If you want a fair value with an excellent location and a touch of class, we recommend the Borgognoni

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank LGTripper
San Diego CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2006

Arrived at 8:30 AM after flying all night from NYC.
Front desk clerk...Vincent...surly initially and every day after that (4 days).
Asked for room...said no rooms ready til noon...have to wait.
Went for walk...after an hour there was a heavy rain, went back to hotel.
Still no room til noon...because of downpour had to sit in lobby and kill time.
Finally at 11:45 Vincent relented and let us have our 10X10 room, which was right on the main street, very busy and noisey.
We shut the window and tried to put on the airconditioning to drown out the street noise, especially since we wanted to sleep after being up all night on our flight.
I couldn't turn on the air...I called Vincent at the front desk and asked how to turn it on..."Oh maybe next week it will go on."
I replied it was indeed noisey and we wanted to sleep but couldn't with the street noise...how about moving us to a more quiet room. "NO! The hotel was full."
And so it went...no one could rate this hotel a 4 or 5 star.
But its location was excellent...close to Trevi Fountain and Spagna (Spanish steps).
We would not stay there again because of surly service and miniscule albeit expensive rooms.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank HarryWang
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2006

I just returned from five nights at the Dei Borgognoni and overall I'm thrilled with my choice.
First of all, as others state here it is in the perfect location in the center of Rome. It is a few minute walk from the Trevi Fountain in one direction, and about 5 minutes in another to the Spanish Steps and the Via Condotti.
The staff was Charming, helpful, friendly,I can't say enough good things about them.
They bent over backwards to insure that my friend and I had a great stay. I had read about Luca in some of the other reviews here. He doesn't disapoint. He lives up to his reputaion. Completely professional and very charming. Christiano, Vincent, each of them were always friendly, always looking to help make our stay the best it could be.
Even the cleaning staff was extrememly friendly. I broke a glass in the room one day. When I went into the hallway I found a maid. When I told here she immediate followed me and cleaned it. When she saw that we had fresh flowers she came right back with a vase.
The hotel itself is very nice. it is on a very quiet street with a coffee bar directly opposite and a market a few steps away.
The lobby is nicely done and very comfortable. The breakfast room is small and the offering is very basic. This didn't bother me since it was included in the price and was more than enough to get going for the day.
The hotel is not cheap, however I found that nothing in Rome was. Having walked though Rome and taking notice of names of other properities I'd seen here on TA I was happy with my choice.
this is not a 5 star Hotel, nor does it claim to be. It is a solid 4 star and you will pay prices comparable to other properties in Rome.
Our room was not large (but that's typical in europe) However, it was a good size and very comfortable for two friends travelling together.
The room decor could use an updating, but there was nothing wrong with it. It was very, very clean, and very comfortable. the beds were very firm (which is not usually they way I like them) however, they were really comfortable and I slept really well, so don't be put off by this.
the bathroom was large and clean and freshly stocked with clean towels and products everyday.
Most of the rooms are on a center court yard so they were very quiet. We were lucky enough to get a room with a private patio( which I highly recommend) I heard no noise in the morning and we slept with the doors open everynight. I would think the rooms facing the street would be quiet as well since it is not very busy.
I never heard the constructioin that the previous poster talks of and I can see my room in her photo. I also would not have held the hotel responsible for noise coming from a neighbors renovations. I don't think they should be expected to maintain silence anywhere but their property.
They also have shutters and double paned windows in all of the rooms.
So, I loved this little hotel, and I'm planning on going back, soon!
Luca, Christiano, Vincent and everone else I came into contact with Thanks!
You know the Italian meaning of hospitality!

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank sasharoon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2006

We had really high hopes for our three night stay in this hotel, after booking it on the strength of reviews on this website and the pics on the hotels own website.

Initial thoughts on arrival where of disappointment to be honest. The pics on the hotels website have been very well taken, and we thought the hotel could do with refurbishment as it just doesnt look as nice in reality.

As everyone posting reviews here has pointed out, the location really is first class. Just two minutes from Trevi fountain and the Spanish Steps. However we found the service by the staff on the front desk to be very mixed. Some of the concierge's where excellent and some where truely appaling. The bad ones, Aldo in particular where extremely surly and unpleasant. Aldo just shouldnt have been in that job, as he was the rudest conceirge I have ever come across. We had to change room one night when the bath flooded due to a blocked drain (not our fault), and he was so rude. Saying it was our fault and we would have to manage with a flooded bathroom for 24 hours and what did we expect him to do about it as it wasnt his job !!! Eduardo the spanish speaking porter was so embarresed and even apologised for him.
One other also didnt look happy in his work and a request to book a restaurant for us was met with much huffing and puffing, and big sighs ! The other two we experienced where first class though, and couldnt do enough for us.

The often praised breakfast was ok nothing more. Good fruit selection but only one type of ham and no freshly sliced cheese, just pre-packed stuff. The hot offering didnt look very appealing to be honest. Excellent coffee though !

The good points are the location, the quality bathrooms and the room sizes which I thought were good for Rome. Also the beds are huge and very comfortable. Quite firm but wonderful if you like a firm mattress.

Bad points included some rude staff, intermittent aircon, ill fitting bath plugs, a redecoration needed and building work (see pic) right outside the room on the apartment opposite. Dont expect to sleep after 7am on a weekday morning ! This should have been mentioned by the Hotel when booking I feel.

To sum up it was ok. Not great, and probably wouldnt stay here again in Rome. It has prices and ideas above what it actually delivers and I would think there are better options in Rome than the Borgognoni. I guess we expected more from the reviews on this site.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank bax52
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

I would recommend this hotel on the basis of its excellent location and the general presentation of the hotel. The lobby area is very nicely appointed and the rooms, whilst small, are nice and very clean. On the downside, we got a "deal" at €195 per night. By Rome standards this was just about acceptable but I wouldn't pay any more as there is no gym/jacuzzi/pool etc that might justify such price. In fact my room didn't even have a bath. Breakfast was pretty good though and service was excellent.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank Ronan_7
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2005

Hotel had the wrong room type when we arrived, although fixed this not long after. The breakfast was above average for Italy, although the eating area is quite small, and resulted in a long wait for some other guests who needed tables for more than 2 people.

The main problem was that their concierge staff at the time spoke fairly poor English (and didn't seem keen to get other staff who spoke perfect English to help). Upon checking out they suggested the best way to the train station was by taxi. However, when trying to book a taxi the staff weren't able to arrange one - pretty poor for a 5 star hotel. The directions that staff gave to the closest metro station weren't great, and combined with pouring rain didn't leave a very good last impression of our stay.

Stayed October 2005