“Great location but amenities could be improved”

Hotel d'Inghilterra
Ranked #404 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Melaka, Malaysia
“Great location but amenities could be improved”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived at around 7a.m. at the hotel. We had paid for the night before so we were entitled to the morning breakfast, which, though not a lot of selection, was of good quality. Our hotel room was rather jaded and dark. There was not much walking space once the suitcases were opened. The toilet was also small and we had a little trouble with the hot water. For a 5 star luxury hotel, the tea/coffee making amenities in the room could be improved. The management could also consider giving its guests complimentary bottles of water. For the price we are paying, we would get much better room and amenities in Asia.

The staff are polite and professional.

Best part about the hotel - the location, its breakfast and the cosy sitting room downstairs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GattoMelaka
zreale, Direttore at Hotel d'Inghilterra, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment on TripAdvisor.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and our buffet breakfast. However it is with great regret we read that your stay was not to your expectations.
I would be pleased to discuss with you about your experience at the Hotel d'Inghilterra and the reason why the room did not meet your expectations. I am inviting you to contact me directly at any time.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The staff was friendly and did everything to make our stay pleasant. Unfortunately, they failed. We were taken to the 5th floor to a room that was so small that we had no room for our suitcases. We actually had to step over them to get to the bathroom. We asked why the room was so warm. We were told that the guest prior to us must have left the balcony door open. This was not the case. The room never cooled to a suitable sleeping temperature. The next day we were moved to another room on the 5th floor. The room was a bit bigger because we didn't have to step over suitcases. Still no help with the sauna effect. This room was no better. So, on the third day we moved again. This time we hit the jackpot. Large room with an air conditioner that worked. This room was on the 2nd floor. Guess what we found out? The 5th floor was being renovated!
The meals in the hotel were very good and so was the service. Good location.
My idea of roughing: it is slow room service. This was not the hotel for me. Too little for too much money.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you do: find out what floor is being renovated.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm S
zreale, Direttore at Hotel d'Inghilterra, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you for posting your candid comments on TripAdvisor..
We were sorry to see that from a service standpoint that we disappointed you during your stay.

As we are always keen to get to the root of our guests’ comments, I really hope to have the opportunity of speaking with you at your convenience. Please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel as I would be interested in knowing more about your impressions.

Best regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We arrived at the Hotel d'Inghilterra after short train ride from Firenze. Our reception by staff was warm, friendly and welcoming. when we were shown to our newly renovated room, we were truly excited for our stay in Rome. Excellent room decor and good sized bed to room ratio. The staff's recommendations for dinner were top notch! We enjoyed every meal. We were sent a bottle of Prosecco on our anniversary which was very good. Currently, our favorite hotel during our tour of Italy and France. When we return to Rome, we will definitely stay here again! Excellent location for shopping and close to major attractions as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NupeinUK
Dear Guest,

I read with great pleasure your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at the Hotel d'Inghilterra.
Thank you very much for being so generous with your comments.
Delighted to note that you found the staff attentive and helpful, we do hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in a very short future.

Once again, thank you for the recommendation.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

At the end of a trip that was as magical as the one I experienced we stayed at this hotel for the night. We should not have stayed here. It is not the hotels fault that the street in front of them was being torn up on our arrival but it should have been an omen that all was not well inside. For the price you would think that the rooms would be bigger than a closet and that if not you could have a view other than at a stone wall out the window. I questioned why there was a window in the room in the first place. We were paying for two rooms and my daughter's actually had a small balcony with a limited view but the room was no larger. On leaving though she noticed ants throughout the room moving around her luggage and inside her bag where there was no food. She called the front desk and was advised there would be someone up to the room immediately only to have to wait over 20 minutes and a personal stop at the front desk to demand service. The hotel refused to change the price of the room! Apparently ants are included in the cost. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms if bugs are free to come and go.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank garebear
zreale, Direttore at Hotel d'Inghilterra, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear guest,

I am very embarrassed to read your posting on TripAdvisor.
Needless to say I have met personaly with the manager on duty, in addition to your direct reports, we are truly sorry for what had happened, and we understand the importance of daily coaching our employees with respect to handling such sensitive issues, in addition to how he himself should have proceeded!
You should never have been put in this position, and I am very ashamed that we embarrassed you in front of others.Even though that there is a big difference between bugs and ants.
We never had bugs!
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time. I would appreciate speaking with you in person.

Best regards

Malta
Reviewed July 15, 2013

It is a very nice hotel but it is expensive for nothing. The rooms are nice and clean but quite small. Overall the hotel is old but the price is still very high.

The breakfast was perfect for us, the food was delicious. There is not much variety but I prefer it that way rather than eat a lot for breakfast.

Other food items were very expensive to buy. Club Sandwich was 14euro when from Piazza the Spagna a couple of metres away you could buy it for 7euro. The location is perfect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor regarding your recent experience at the Hotel d'Inghilterra!
We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while with us.
You comments are extremely important to us and we would love to get in touch with you at your disposal to further discuss your visit.

We hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you soon.

Kind Regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel d’Inghilterra. I was a bit concerned from some reviews I had read, so I reached out to the Hotel management prior to making my reservation. They explained that the hotel was under new management now, had recently made a significant investment in renovations this past fall and reassured me that my stay would be a great one. The hotel and staff exceeded all my expectations!! As soon as I arrived, I was presented with carefully prepared confirmations of all my restaurant reservations (with Google maps for each one!) from Massimo Mazzola, the Head Concierge. Our room was quite large and comfortable, with lovely turndown service every night (the delicious candies placed on the bed each evening was such a nice touch). There was a welcome bottle of water and fruit in our room when we checked in (so nice after our train ride from Florence). Also, the bathroom was outfitted with an outlet where I could plug in my hairdryer, highly unusual and a most welcome feature for a European hotel! The breakfast in the morning was served in the beautiful restaurant and was the best of all the hotels we stayed in during our two week trip to Italy. You also have the option of sitting outside which is terrific. The location is absolutely the best, very close to the Spanish Steps and in the middle of the finest shopping in Rome. We were able to walk everywhere from the hotel, the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc. But the greatest part of our stay was the warm and welcoming staff. Any request we had, from lunch suggestions, to shopping locations, to taxis arrangements was met with smiles. Just one example of their fine service was when we arrived at a restaurant I had chosen for dinner and realized that I had made the wrong choice. So, I decided to quickly call the hotel to see if they could help us make a last minute change. The lovely young woman at the front desk recognized my name, made another suggestion, called the restaurant and immediately secured a reservation for us. It literally saved our evening!! Mr. Mazzola and his staff provided truly some of the best service I have ever experienced in my worldwide travels. We would absolutely stay at the Hotel d’Inghilterra again. It is definitely now our only hotel choice in Rome!!

Room Tip: Our corner room was quite spacious and very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
zreale, Direttore at Hotel d'Inghilterra, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear guest,

It was such a pleasure to read that you were satisfied with our services at the Hotel D'Inghilterra and I thank you very much in behalf of the entire team for leaving these comments on Tripadvisor !
Indeed, the satisfaction of every individual guest is very important to us and we are thrilled that we achieved this goal.
We are very much looking forward to welcome you on a future occasion!

Campinas, SP
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for two nights and we found very good. The staff was very helpful and answer properly all of our requests. We dinner at the hotel once and found the food and service very good. Of course the location is the high point. All the shops of the famous Via dei Condoti, with all top brands. Near to most of the tourist attractions but seclude enough to have peace, we could explore Rome in the proper way, by foot.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your comments with us, following your recent stay at the Hotel d'Inghilterra.
Being in the Piazza di Spagna area certainly is a stunning location as you say, however we are even more proud to learn that you enjoyed as well our services and the cuisine of our Chef Antonio Vitale!
We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back to a new Roman experience.

Yours sincerely,