“Simply the best”

Baglioni Hotel Regina
Ranked #142 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 21, 2006

We stayed at the Regina Baglioni for six nights and could not have been more satisfied with the location, our room and the friendliness of the staff.
The extensive buffet breakfasts were a great start to the day and the dining staff were most attentive and pleasant - happily serving us with bottomless pots of fresh Italian coffee.
Having travelled extensively in Europe on four previous occasions we were well prepared for occasional disappointments, but everything at this hotel was delightful.
We recommend it absolutely for couples who wish to spend their days and evenings seeing all that this wonderful city has to offer - before returning to the comfort of a top class hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank Bev M

Reviewed January 23, 2006

Great location, very friendly and wonderful staff at the Regina Baglioni in Via Veneto, Rome. We stayed there for five days at the end of December and had a grand time. We had a lovely room overlooking Via Veneto, good service.
Delicious buffet breakfasts in the morning. The hotel is centrally located, quick stroll to Piazza di Spagna and main shopping areas.
Concierge was helpful and gave us good recommendations, got us tickets for the Villa Borghese museum, sometimes hard to find. Great experience, would recommend and will return.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank hildamaria77
Reviewed January 10, 2006

I have stayed with my husband at the Regina Baglioni for 3 nights on the 3rd January and I never had such a great experience in a 5 star hotel.

We arrived very late at night after a delayed terrible flight from London and we received the warmest welcome ever. The hotel staff had checked with the airline our scheduled time of arrival and after discovering that the flight was delayed they left for us a delicious warm dinner in our room.

The following morning the general manager welcomed us in the breakfast room, he was aware of our delayed flight of the previous night and gave us recommendation on places to visit and real roman restaurant in town... by the way we strongly suggest a dinner in the Testaccio district; it is much more typical than Trastevere and you may really meet people from Rome rather than tourists.
We also had dinner the following night at the hotel Restaurant. Very elegant atmosphere and outstanding food.

The hotel is very upscale but what made our stay different was the way we were treated by the whole staff as we really felt like being friends rather than clients.

We will surely go back to the Regina and recommend it to all travellers wanting to stay in a "special" hotel.

• Stayed: January 2006
10  Thank Misha0603
A TripAdvisor Member
Birmingham, AL, USA
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Here is a warning to travelers of Rome. Giving the location of the Baglioni hotel across the street from the US Embassy and sharing Via Veneto, which holds residence to some of the more expensive and nicest hotels of Rome, I expected better of the Baglioni than your run of the mill hotel. Perhaps my expectations were set too high but I have had better experiences and stays at Marriott hotels including one stay directly following my stay with the Baglioni. In fact, I left the Baglioni so that I might stay in better conditions.

They seem to have a problem with cleaning. The staff is friendly and speak very well as you approach them. They speak a variety of languages and try to make the service a good experience. However, the management staff has a hard time following through with the housekeeping and maintenance staff.

The have a drainage problem in their bathrooms. By that I mean, that you can be taking a shower and have two inches of toilet waste at your feet. You can hear the drains backing up and slowing throughout the night. This is distinct by the bubling noise which is indicative of a hardly flowing drain. Also, the leaks in the system leave water standing for up to 24 hours which molds and mildews through the night and provides a hard stench.

If you stay on the south side of the hotel you can have a wonderful view of the Chica Chica Boom Room on the street below. This is a topless and lap dance bar which has some of its employees running about all night at the corner in front of the Baglioni asking you to come inside their business. That can get old quick.

Many of the area limo drivers have bad experiences with the Baglioni and some refuse to pick up guests from this hotel. I had two turn me down for service simply because I was at the Baglioni. This was the reason they gave.

Also, if you enjoy cuisine, you might want to stay away from the restaurant in the hotel. You will find reference in other reviews to the runny eggs. Well you can bet on those and just so you know it is not part of the culture to serve eggs this runny. It is simply part of trying to prepare breakfast short staffed. You can tell this even further when you notice that most of what they are serving is stale dry foods and little fresh choices. Mostly bread or sealed containers of yogurt and preserves. There were some cold cuts, but they are all cold, and in fact there are only two dishes which are prepared. The runny eggs and some very low quality sausages.

But the breakfast just comes with the room, so its continental at best.

Of course, I returned for dinner one night in my 5 night stay, and I got what was being referred to as the chef's special addition to the meal. In case you don't have a qualified chef in your party, what they were serving was cool whip mixed with wet mozerella water and drizzled with basalmic vinegar. If you are a nutritionist you will know that this can reduce the amount of flavor tasting on your pallette just in case the food is not that good.

Oh and all of the wines listing at 40-60 euros can be purchased at the underground market for less than 18 euros on any given day of the week. I might even understand a 200 % mark up being a hotel, but one in particular was marked up over 250%. That is a little excerpt for the value seekers.

Oh, and if you don't like fruit flies and insects, you might take notice that they generally leave fruit in the hallways or in the closets of the hallways for up to three days. That one I have seen and had confirmed by two other reviews. Some sort of mite appears to be in the sheets and linens. And a type of bug which is part of the region makes its way into the room overnight when it seeks warmer temperatures. Some may be allergic to its bite.

If you want the quality for the money you are paying at the baglioni, instead try the Excelsior or the Majestic located either across the street or further south along via veneto respectively. The seem to produce the quality, cleanliness, and service with a smile you are seeking.

• Stayed: October 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2005

Rooms were clean, nicely decorated, employees were polite and spoke English, good location, close to Spanish Steps and across the street from Borhgese Park.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank JudyLasVegas
Reviewed September 11, 2005

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Regina Baglioni. The best thing about the hotel was the location on Via Veneto. There are tons of places to eat within walking distance (although they are somewhat pricey - but most things are in Rome!), including many Italian restuarants, coffee shops, and a Hard Rock Cafe if you need a hamburger. It is also very easy to walk to major sight-seeing in the area from the hotel, including the Roman Forum and Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Villa Borghese Park and Museums in the park. My husband and I also got ambitious and decided to walk to St. Peter's Bascilica from the hotel. It was a good hike but it can be done - and it helps work off all the pasta and gelato you will be eating! Although the hotel is rated 4 (or 5...I can't remember) stars, it is not what I expect from an American hotel rated that high, but I think that is pretty standard. It did not have a workout room or pool, although if you like to walk or run just head to the Villa Borghese Park at the end of Via Veneto for good walking/running paths. It also does not have Internet access in all the rooms. Apparently if you stay in one of the suites, you might have it but in the regular rooms it was not available, or at least that is what we were told. There is a business center in the basement where you can use the Internet for 30 minutes free of charge. After 30 minutes you are charged a fee. Didn't try the restaurant or rooms service because it was quite expensive - great restaurants are just a step away so I wouldn't bother with room service anyway... The room itself was nice - had a queen bed with 2 chairs and a small table at the end of it. Also had a flat screen TV and plenty of closet/drawer space. Bathroom also had 2 sinks with marble countertops and separate shower/toilet area. Maid service was very good - everything was kept very clean and they came twice a day to put out new towels and straighten, turndown service, etc. The room also had air conditioning which was nice since it was quite hot while we were there. The Concierge staff was also very friendly and helpful. They set up several tours for us and also made reservations at the Villa Borghese Museum for us. The only bad thing I will say is that Via Veneto is a busy street and it was pretty loud - lots of honking going on outside all the time. They were also doing street construction while we were there and we heard drilling, etc early in the morning. Also, it would have been nice to have Internet, workout room, pool, but overall this was a clean hotel in a great location and if I went back to Rome, I would stay there again. There are several other hotels in the same area though (Excelsior Westin, a Marriott, and a few others) that I think did have pools, Internet so if those things are must haves, you might check on those prices also. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: September 2005
12  Thank travllgrl
Reviewed August 6, 2005

I just returned from a four night stay at the Baglioni Regina in Rome.
I had a large room with a balcony on the Via Veneto. The room was immaculate and furnished beautifully. The service was impecable and the breakfast (wich was included in the room rate) was satisfactory. It was within walking distance to the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. During my stay they replaced the old TV with a new plasma screen TV. The hotel was a bit overpriced but I didn't find too many things in Italy that weren't.

• Stayed: August 2005