“Sleek yet Elegant - Restaurant Was the BEST!!”

Baglioni Hotel Regina
Ranked #116 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Bedford, NY
“Sleek yet Elegant - Restaurant Was the BEST!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Stayed here for a few nights before taking a cruise. We are a family of 5 - kids are between 9-15 yrs old. We were in the middle of traveling through Europe for 3 1/2 weeks (including Mediterranean cruise) and this hotel was perhaps the best we stayed at. The staff was great and we had adjoining rooms - beautifully appointed, great bathrooms, comfortable beds, etc. But the best part of the experience was the restaurant. We arrived late after a flight from Paris (around 10pm) and were told the restaurant would still seat us - we were dressed VERY casually. The waiter was terrific and engaging with the kids and had no issues with our attire or our enthusiasm (we were taking pictures of the food etc.) and the food was PHENOMENAL. The prices were a bit high but given that tax and gratuity are baked in (meal was approx 225-250 Euro's), they were reasonable, especially considering what we ate. It could have been the best overall meal I've ever had (including places like Per Se in NYC). Everything was perfect - including appetizers, salads, entrees, dessert - I could keep going - squid ink pasta with cuttlefish, filet with roaseted crumbled pine nuts, ravioli, and this ham that was like a Serrano but way better (even the waiter's suggested wine by the glass was superb) - we were supposed to stay at the nearby Westin but it was busy with the G7 meeting and so our travel agent moved us to the Regina - best move of our trip. PERFECT.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank msamb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed at the Regina Baglioni last month for a business trip, and had a very positive experience. My room was small (as most European hotels are), but perfect as I was by myself and working.

The staff were lovely, the gentleman at the front desk said my room wasn't ready when I arrived, and asked if I could wait a bit and he would give me and upgrade. I didn't mind at all, as I had only travelled from London and was happy to go out and have lunch.

It was incredibly hot in Rome during my stay, and the air conditioning in my room was perfect. I needed a cable as my PC does not have wireless, and they brought it immediately.

The bathroom was gigantic, with lovely marble and fixtures. The bed was very comfortable, and there was ample closet space.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the hotel for a romantic getaway, as the rooms are somewhat "corporate" in feel, but the location is fabulous so if you don't mind
the somewhat bland feeling of the room and want all of the conveniences
of a four-star hotel, you'd probably enjoy it.

Breakfast was lovely, good service and great buffet.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Newry
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Beauiful, Romantic & Elegant...What a wonderful honeymoon experience in such a fabulous city. This is hotel is set in such a beautiful location and just a short walk from the Spanish Steps. We had a delicious contentintal breakfast set in their beautiful modern art-deco breakfast room. On our final nite we had the most fabulous meal in their restaurant. Our room was a suite which was so spacious and comfortable. Cant wait to return to the regina baglioni some day soon!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NewJersey
Reviewed August 5, 2009

The Personal and Hotel Staff were cordial and accommodating – The Service was First Class

Location of The Hotel was Excellent --- Directly across from the US Embassy – Central Location of Rome -- Great Surroundings

Highly Recomennded

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
NYC
Reviewed February 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I stay here during a three week stay in Italy to meet extended family. At first we were attracted to the grandeur of the street but the hotel failed to "wow" us. Perhaps thats the jaded New Yorkers speaking but the stay was nice and we did enjoy the room and the bathrooms were gorgeous. The location was not exactly central to Rome's popular attractions but we were close to the Spanish steps and an awesome shopping area that mirrors 57th and 5th in NYC. The smaller restaurants were often the better ones (often located on small streets off Via Venuto sp?) Overall a nice experience. The staff was often a little cool but we didnt let that dampen our trip. I recommend this hotel if you want a nice place and you are somewhat familiar with the city already.

• Liked — Quiet Location, Linens and bathroom
  • Disliked — Bland, coolness of staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We visited the hotel in the first part of our honeymoon for three nights. Even though we have stated that it was our honeymoon the room was very small, in the back of the hotel with only one window that overlooked the airconditioning system of the entire hotel.
After our first dissapointment I went down to the lobby to ask for a better room. The clerk was polite and he told me that he would check to see if there was something available.
After our first walk in Rome we returned to the Hotel where they informed us that there was another room available, this time much bigger, in the front of the hotel, with a balcony overlooking Via Veneto and Rome. It was a fantastic room.......until the next problem appeared. The airconditioning only produced cold air. We mentioned that to the reception and we were told that they would send the technician first thing in the morning. Thank God it was not too cold those three days because they never fixed it.
Other than that the location really is fantastic, you can walk everywhere, the metro station is just around the corner and the surrounding area is lovely.
If i return to Rome however I'll try a different Hotel.

• Liked — The location and the view
  • Disliked — Cold room, a bit unfriendly staff.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greece
Reviewed May 14, 2008

We stayed at the Regina Baglioni hotel for our 6 day honeymoon in Rome. Overall, we have been quite satisfied with the room and the hotel in general. The staff was very friendly and almost always smiling.

We had booked a grand deluxe room through a website (booking.com) and asked for a room with a view to the streets (and not the inner courtyard) and a double bed. The hotel mailed us, back assuring us that both requests would be met and that upon arrival a bottle of spumante (sort of champagne) would be waiting in our room.

Indeed, our room was facing the street to the side of the hotel and equipped with a double bed. No spumante was in the room however, so I asked the person at the reception who said that the maids would probably place it at their 6pm visit to clean the room. Indeed, when we got back later that night the bottle was there. Sadly, even though the bed looked like a double one, when we laid down that night I found out that it was formed of 2 single mattresses placed side-by-side.

Our room was no. 211, indeed a grand deluxe room identical to the one shown at the hotels' website (the red one). I am pretty sure that the room shown in that picture is the one we stayed at. My first impression of the room was partly negative: I expected it to be a bit bigger and certainly quite brighter, but I have to admit that I was comparing it to the suite we stayed at back in Greece after our wedding (for one night) which was fabulous, brightly lit and full of windows. Our room at Regina, like all rooms in Rome (I assume), had only one (relatively narrow, yet tall) window, therefore little light was entering the room. But do not expect something different since all buildings in the centre of Rome have small windows because of the old-style architecture.

The room was a bit dark, but quite aristocratic and classy; marble floor, marble bathroom with 2 sinks, good quality polished wood and leather chairs, Murano glass lights (and a big chandelier), minibar, safe, TV and a desk. Everything in the room was good quality and overall we felt as we were living in a quite luxurious environment. I would prefer it, however, that we were given the other type of deluxe room since judging from the photos at the website it looked quite brighter.

On the second day, I asked for a brighter room with one single mattress, but we were told that there was no other room vacant and that they found it weird since our room was recently renovated and most people prefer it. I guess it must have been one of the hotel's best rooms.

Since I was not too happy with our room, we went to see two other hotels in the area (not on Via Veneto but close to it). We asked to see a deluxe room in both hotels. The first one (Eden) was quite lighter and felt more "happy". For a moment I was ready to book it for the rest of our stay in Rome. The room at the other hotel (Splendide Royale) gave me a good first impression, but it seemed kind of "fake" and using medium quality materials (e.g. the wood looked quite cheap).

When we returned to our room, comparing it to the other two rooms we saw in the other hotels, I started to appreciate it more. It was a lot classier than the others and quite better quality. Even though the Eden was brighter and happier, our room was much more aristocratic; it looked more like a luxurious room in a palace, than a lux room in a hotel. The Eden was a lux room in a hotel (moquette floor).

So we decided to stay at the Regina Baglioni and I became more and more happy with it. We had a good time and had no problems with the room or the hotel (besides the mattress). It is worthy to mention that the room was cleaned up twice; once in the morning, and a second time around 6pm in the afternoon, where they also left close to our pillows a weather forecast for the next day and a small (bitter) chocolate for each one of us. Nice.

The hotel is very close to the Spanish steps, about 10 minutes or so and it is within walking distance to the whole historical center of Rome, if you like walking! At first we thought that we'd have to use the bus or metro, but Rome is a lovely city to walk and we often walked from the Hotel to Piazza Navona, or from Campo Di Fiori to the hotel at night. If you don't want to walk, the metro station is 2 minutes from the hotel, and the bus stop to go to the center is 3 minutes (on Via Tritone, route 62).

The location of the hotel was brilliant; Via Veneto must be the nicest street in the whole Rome! A classy area of Rome with restaurants and stores, tall green trees, little traffic and lovely "atmosphere". Hard Rock Cafe is on the next block to the hotel.

The hotel was not too big. Upon entering, do not expect a huge lobby or the wow-factor. It is aristocratic yet kind of small. A lobby can be found if you walk further inside, an oval room with no windows (I think). The restaurant-bar is named "Brunello" and can be accessed either from inside the hotel or from the street. It's nicely (in a modern way) decorated and the food is good, yet quite expensive. Our room didn't include breakfast and we opted not to pay for it since it's quite pricey for a buffet breakfast.

Overall our stay at the Regina Baglioni was quite good. Had it been for a real double bed and a brighter room, I would dare to rate it "excellent". Keep in mind though that my review is based on the Grand Deluxe room that we stayed at - I did not have the chance to see how the standard room was.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lighting in the room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple