“Great for families with teenagers and couples”

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
Ranked #153 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
San Diego, California
“Great for families with teenagers and couples”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We just stayed for seven nights and loved every night. If you go during summer you will appreciate the air conditioning in August since Rome can be very warm. We had two rooms, one with a king bed and one with two twins for our teenage girls (room 311 with balcony). The girls loved this room and enjoyed mornings and evenings watching life pass by on Via Veneto from the balcony. Housekeeping and maid service was top notch. Massimo the concierge was a huge help in booking a train to Florence and even found a better fare than I did on line. The breakfast on the 7th floor is wonderful with great views of the city and St. Peters. They have something for everyone, pastries, eggs, fruit....very nice. One great feature of this hotel is a taxi stand right next to it, so a taxi is always available. If you have a doorman call one you will wait several minutes plus pay from when they call....if you go to the taxi stand it is quicker and less expensive. Several nice restaurants close to the hotel. Walk across the street to Harrys Bar have a glass of wine and enjoy the evening. The neighborhood is very safe and clean, it is about 10-15 minutes from most major sites by taxi ( 6-12 Euros) or 15-25 by walking which keeps you way from the throngs of tourist. My wife and I enjoyed it very much and our daughters loved it too. Recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: 311 has twin beds with a balcony, perfect for teenage girls!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CBUS2SD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We booked Marriott's Grand Flora with points and as Platinum Elite members were upgraded to a lovely Junior Suite with a fabulous balcony view, breakfast in the 7th floor dining room with a tremendous view of the city and Wi Fi, all included. Having read a good deal about all to see in the excellent location of this hotel, we had been looking forward to 3 wonderful days revisiting the grand old city of Roma. Sadly, a health problem had me spending 2 days in the largest hospital in Europe, if not in the world, and missing out on the myriad of attractions, elegant upscale shops and restaurants and the Villa Borghese, museum and park in the immediate vicinity. Everyone at the hotel, from arrival to departure, from the doorman to the concierge were attentive and helpful. Every day there was a different concierge, but each one was wonderfully obliging. The first one accompanied us directly to our suite, explaining all the intricacies of getting around the room and the hotel. The 2nd one, the next day, was in our apartment within minutes of our reporting my illness and interpreted for us when a doctor arrived with an ambulance and I was whisked away to the Umberto I Politecnico, not too far away. At the hospital, literally no one spoke English, except for 2 doctors who spoke basic English and one nurse called in to interpret for me as I was leaving. Getting word to my 92 year old husband, anxiously waiting at the hotel, proved to be impossible. On the 2nd day, the concierge wrote down detailed instructions for my husband, for the taxi and for the hospital. With these he was able to reach the hospital and with much trouble getting past several posts of security, to find me, still in the emergency wing. Unfortunately, we missed out on our planned visits, however, we were able to experience the ambience, comfort and hospitality of the Grand Flora. Of course, we will opt for the Grand Flora again, on our next visit to Rome, to resume our interrupted plans. This experience brings to mind, a saying by Woody Allen, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans". Next time, Roma and the Grand Flora!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the Borghese Park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vanc0uverites
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed here for five days in July, with a family group of seven, in three rooms. Our experience with the staff was much like that described by GayeP. The location, and the building structure are indeed outstanding. I was expecting a top tier hotel experience. The staff and deferred maintenance of the building were the disappointment. (See restaurant review). I am a Marriott Platinum Elite member, which didn't seem to help me much here, either. Only 1/3 rooms was available by standard check in time.
Two of the rooms were as expected in size, and location (paid with MR points). The third was a junior suite, paid at the full rate, which was the smallest such room I have ever seen (#420)! The main bed was a queen, with barely enough room to walk around, and the second room was so small, it would hold a rollaway bed, or a small loveseat, but not both. Adjacent was a massive patio, with no view, and that would only usable in very mild weather. I complained at the front desk that the room was not as advertised on the hotel website. Told nothing else was available. The next day, I emailed Marriott customer service with the same complaint.The following morning, while waiting in the lobby, I was "invited" to speak with a manager, which was done with another clerk acting as a translator. Eventually, we were "offered" a larger junior suite. While still small, this room at least fit the website description.
Subsequent examples of service from the same manager; a miscoded room key, while in a hurry to retrieve an item, with no apology, replacement, slowly delegated to an assistant. Finally, at check out, he placed my three rooms on one bill, but under my son's name, so my MR account was not credited properly (intentional?). This required several emails to resolve.
A few examples of deferred maintenance. Dirty and worn carpet in the rooms, and public areas. Flaking paint around windows, and soot literally coming from the ventilation (see pictures).
Despite additional complaint to Marriott customer service, the replies from the hotel management were essentially, "were sorry you weren't satisfied".
IF, I received a very good deal, I might stay here again, because of the location, and the roof top breakfast and lounge area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GSPARKMD
Farmingdale, New Jersey
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I just got back from spending a week in Rome - and stayed at this hotel the whole time. It was our first time in Rome and knew nothing. Staff was great and accommodating. Everyone spoke English - even the maid (which does not even happen in the US!). I am Gold with Marriott - and actually stayed at this location for FREE for the whole week on points - and they still treated me "like Gold" - including a free bottle of wine. But - the real best thing was when we checked in - they of course said our room was not ready - considering it was 9 am when we got there. I am sure they had me in a nice upgraded room. But, I always like to get to Europe and sleep - so, I said any room is good - and they got me a room right away!!!! I am sure I was just lucky - but - it was wonderful that they accommodated us that way. The room we got was kind of small - but, we were fine - and even stayed there all week. It was a beautiful hotel - with a great location. There is a subway entrance right outside the hotel (though it is a secondary entrance and requires walking to reach the subway) - and there is a taxi stand right outside the hotel too. In addition - easy walking to restaurants, shops, attractions and main terminal station too. Also - they will also exchange US dollars for Euros at the front desk - for no extra charge! I think they said it was only up to $100 USD - but, still a great perk - because my bank hit me up for two fees every time I got cash out.
Couple of tips about this hotel though - the restaurant was really good - but, expensive. The street outside is filled with great restaurants that are just as good - and half the price. In addition - Breakfast was just ok for us. It was included in our deal for no charge - which made it worthwhile. But, if I had to pay for it daily - we would not have eaten there. So, just double check the price before agreeing to it. Also - the internet was also free at the hotel - but, it went in and out at times. There is no pool/spa - and the workout room is very limited - but - was not needed since we walked for hours and hours every day!
Overall a great hotel and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gmosho
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Okay I will say this Marriott is in a great location in the city but I have never stayed at a Marriott (and I am a Gold card member) that the staff was so rude! They acted as if I was bothering them every time we went to ask a question even at check- in they were rude. Check- in was 2:00 we had two rooms one was ready and the other room they said would not be ready for another hour. The rooms were not nice and the two we had all you could hear was the traffic. The bar and restaurant was understaffed and again very rude not to say expensive. Our rate was to come with ice cream each night but I had to ask about it and again they were rude asking did I not get a card at time of check-in. I did not get anything at time of check-in not even a welcome!
They will put a envelope under your door with a certificate for a free bottle of wine, when we asked the waiter which one was better red or white he said neither. It had to have been the worst wine we had on our trip but thanks for gift.

Room Tip: Stay on a upper floor away from traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gaye P
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is the fifth time I stayed in this excellent hotel. Flora is really convenient, located not far from piazza del Spagna in Via Vittorio Veneto, the most expensive street of Rome. Unbelievable interior and very classical like old times.. Hospitality is great in this hotel. polite & English spoken staff. The roof is ideal taking our breakfast and looking the villa borgeze park and saint peter's Catholica quiesa in Batican city. The suite is very comfortable and wifi operated very fast. Great choice for all.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank azafiris
New York
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Marriott for 6 nights. The location is excellent, the staff is incredibly helpful, the rooms are very nice and clean, and breakfast is delicious. I would highly recommend this Marriott. Two drawbacks: public transportation is not so convenient and weddings over the weekend equal lots of noise!

• Stayed July 2013