WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
Ranked #146 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Atlanta, Georgia
“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I travel for business and used my Marriott points to stay at this hotel for 5 nights. The hotel is located on via Veneto one of the beautiful streets. As I am a Marriott platinum member we had free breakfast. The buffet breakfast was really good. We ate veg omelette, a lot of yogurt (our favorite part of the breakfast) and pineapple juice.
Also they gave us one internet passcode for all 5 nights so that we don't have to ask for it everyday. We can print up to 20 copies for free at the business center.
There is a 116 bus stop right in front of the hotel and we used it quite a bit as we had the roma pass and the metro was free for the 3 days the pass was valid for. If ever come back to Rome I would not hesitate for a moment to stay at this hotel.

1 Thank coolbabu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Greek first
missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We recently stayed here for three nights using points. We were given a beautiful room on the 5th floor overlooking the roman wall into the Borghese Gardens. It had a huge double window that could be opened to enjoy the view and the sounds of the city. The room was large and the king-sized bed and bedding were very comfortable. We had free wifi access for two devices, which was nice. The bathroom was not large, but the bathtub/shower was. Great water pressure and bath products. Huge towels were provided that hung on a warmer. There was a frosted window in the bathtub that could be opened for airflow.

As Rewards members, we were given free breakfast each morning in the spectacular rooftop restaurant. We were only able to use it one morning because we had booked early morning tours. But the food was plentiful and delicious. The rooftop terrace was amazing. It wrapped around the building and offered beautiful sunset views of St. Peter's. We sat up there in the late afternoon sunshine reading a book and drinking wine. Spectacular!

We loved the location. It isn't in the middle of the city, but it's an easy walkable distance to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain and many other attractions. Across the street is an underground walkway (called a subway) that leads to the Metro station at the Spanish Steps (10 minute walk). In the subway are several stores including a large grocery store. We didn't figure this out until our last day. It would have been nice to know that before in order to stock our room with more affordable snacks and soda.

The Barberini Metro station is a pleasant 10 minute walk in the other direction. It takes you down the Via Veneto by lots of restaurants and shops as well as the U.S. Embassy.

Hotel personnel were very friendly and helpful. They were all fluent in English, but were kind and tolerant of our attempts to speak Italian. They offered great advice when asked about restaurants, transportation, directions, etc., and even marked places for us on a map which they provided.

I would definitely stay here again when visiting Rome. It definitely deserves the good ranking it's received here on Trip Advisor. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor overlooking the Borghese Gardens.
2 Thank jmf3
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Recently stayed 6 nights there with my family. There were 3 of us, so we got 2 rooms using points. The hotel and staff are nice. The rooms are a bit dated. Unlike other Marriotts, there were no US electric adapters in our rooms (usually built into the desk).

As a Platinum member, we got breakfast served upstairs. The breakfast is nice, but it's the exact same thing every day, so it gets tiring after a while. Restaurant staff are incredibly friendly.

We were given 2 rooms next to each other on the first floor (they don't have adjoining rooms at this hotel). The rooms faced the back of the hotel, so it gets noisy back there because of the dumpster and delivery trucks.

There's an underground entrance to the Spagna metro stop across the street. Exit the front door of the hotel and look to the right of Harry's Bar across the street. You'll see escalators that go down. It's probably a 10 minute walk to the stop, but if it's raining, you'll stay dry. The one great thing about this underground passageway is that there is a Carefour (a big grocery store) about halfway to Spagna. So you can buy all the things you need (water, snacks, soda, etc) at "normal" Italian prices, vs the tourist prices you'd pay everywhere else.

Overall, I liked the hotel, but it's really not close to anything, other than the Borghese Gallery. Plus, I think it's very expensive (points wise) for what you get. If I went back to Rome, I'd probably stay somewhere else that's closer to the sites or to the metro. You'll do plenty of walking in Rome. No sense walking an extra 3/4 mi to and from the metro station.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LaneB588
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We booked 7 nights using points and have not been disappointed. Our room is a good size (note we are platinum members so that has some impact). The bathroom is not huge but is typical of European hotels so it was what I expected (I'm always surprised that other Americans expect the same size etc when they come to Europe!). The one thing that we had to adjust to was their lighting/security system...every time you open the door the lights will all go off shortly until you put your key in the slot by the door. And when you first open the door the hall lights come on, but briefly...so until we caught on we'd be laughing at ourselves in the dark! The bathroom amenities were plentiful, the bed comfortable. Breakfast on the 7th floor was good..but they do not have the hang of bacon so we stuck with a continental breakfast. Nice bar. Great location 15 minutes from the Metro. Near the American embassy on lovely Via Venito.

2 Thank joksc
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

My family stayed at Mariott Grand Hotel Flora the second week in March using points. In the US if you are using points, you are treated like a second hand citizen in every way. This was exactly the opposite, we were treated like royality. Beautiful hotel, spotless rooms, EXCELLENT SERVICE, fabulous location for walking anywhere, simply outstanding!!

Room Tip: We loved our room looking out to the gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Ann S
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed for 10 days at Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora located at Via Veneto. Great location across the street from Harry's Bar, restaurant, stores and two blocks from the U.S.A. Embassy. Walking distance from Villa Borguese palace (museum) and gardens. Breakfast served on the roof top with a magnificent view of Rome and the Vatican. Room was good and clean. The only negative thing no free internet (only for gold Marriott members). Great hotel with 5 star service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TorontoOntario1
The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here with my mom. This had to be a very special stay for her because of several reasons. I am Platinummember and wanted to spend points for 3 nights. This was not available on the first night (Sunday) so I booked a Marriott Member Exclusive Rate for this night and spend 80000 points for the other 2 nights. The rate I booked did not tell me what was included. Still at home on Sunday morning I found out that it rooms on points were available for that night. But I could not cancel my excisting reservation (one day before) so I decided to give it a try at check-in. A few days before my reservation I got an email from the concierge that entrance to either the Colosseum or villa Borghese was included in my rate. I did not know but decided to go for the Colosseum tickets. He asked when we wanted to go there and I mailed him that we wanted to go on Monday afternoon. His reply was that the tickets would be at the conciergedesk from 2 pm. (I thought at check in day). At check in I asked the man at the frontdesk for the change from paid rate into points and after talking to his manager the change was possible. We went to our room. I always ask for a room on a high floor (this is in my profile). This room was on the 1st floor. We looked at a sidestreet from Via Veneto. The room was not really small but very smelly. Because they had set up an extra bed etc and we were tired we decided to open the window and not complain or move to another room. Breakfast nothing special, even the view where everybody is raving about was only special when you got outside and walked around. Otherwise you looked to an old, ugly, yellow building with lot of antennes on it....They had champi for breakfast but there boiled eggs were cold and very green. Service was fine and even a second cappucino was served without asking! When we went out at 10 am we went to the concierge and I asked for my tickets for the Colosseum. He said they were available on Monday 2pm. I said we wanted to go out, do sighseeing and go to the Colosseum straight and not back to the hotel. But he did get the tickets at 2pm.....So we decided to go and pay our entrance ourselves. We had a lovely day in beautiful Rome. We did a hop on hop of tour, great way to see all the main sights. Walked a lot in between! When we came back at 6 pm I got a call from a lady concierge. She asked me why we did not pick up the tickets. I told her that the pick up time was not convenient and to late for us and that we went to the colosseum on our own. She told me that i could use them on Tuesday but we had other plans. Then she told me I had to pay for the tickets. 24 Euro's. That was because I changed my paid reservation (in which rate it was included which we did not know) into points reservation. I said I was not planning to pay for them. She was talking to her manager and later she called back and told me I still had to pay. I made her very clear that I was not paying for them and had no intention to do so!! Then she told me in a very unfriendly way that she had to talk about it with the Front Office Manager and the General Manager. I told her to do so and hung up. Never got any message again. At check out there was no charge for the tickets........
Overall we did not feel very welcome at this hotel. Old, tired, very worn rooms, screaming for renovation/updating. Breakfast just ok. We had a litlle bite in their restaurant one evening. Nothing special. I did not meet any personel that was very friendly..... Just doing their jobs...Maybe the doorman. He was the friendliest of all....When in Rome there are a lot better options to go to!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo