“Great Hotel - Great Location - Great Staff”

Hotel Canada, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #70 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersBronze level
Elkhorn, WI
“Great Hotel - Great Location - Great Staff”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for two days at the tail end of a 14 day European cruise based on other TripAdvisor reviews. The hotel is exactly what the reviews say - a great little hotel conveniently located that has a very friendly staff. We arrived early (9:45am) as we had to depart our cruise ship at 8am. The front desk manager couldn't have been nicer - he apologized that our room wouldn't be ready for 20-30 minutes and had an assistant bring us coffee and tea on a silver platter while we waited. On the day of departure, our "ride" arrived at 7:25am rather than the prearranged 8:45am. The front desk manager made alternate arrangements for our trip to the airport. We loved the room - very old world but modern European with LCD TV, bidet, etc. As mentioned by others, the breakfast is great but don't expect an American style hotel buffet. I don't eat eggs and I had plenty to eat with rolls, croissants, juice and a few other items. However, there aren't any alternatives like French Toast, Pancakes, Waffles or potatoes so I was a bit disappointed after the buffet reviews. I'm a very health concious eater and I didn't try the undercooked bacon or the various types of large sausages or sliced luncheon-type meats. Like I said - I'm picky and I'm sure most folks would love that stuff but if you don't....just a little warning. The hotel has a small bar area with some couches and a few bar stools. Prices for cocktails and beer at the bar were the most reasonable I saw in Rome. If you don't want to venture far after a long day sightseeing - there are a number of casual outdoor spaces within a few blocks to have a nice lunch or dinner. All in all - a very nice hotel and we'd stay here again for sure if we venure back to Rome.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Torrance, CA
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Stayed here during the last leg of my honeymoon in Europe. I spent A LOT of time researching hotels (price, rating, location, etc) and ultimately, decided this hotel offered the best combination of criteria. It's not a trendy hotel by any means, with a quaint little lobby and a tiny receptionist desk. We arrived on the train from Florence a little early at 11am, but the hotel did their best to accomodate our early arrival and by noon, we were in our room. When making the reservation, I mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and the staff was nice enough to have a bottle of champagne on ice for us shortly after check-in. The bellhop, maid and front desk personnel were all so warm and friendly--a recurring theme throughout our time in Italy.

The room itself was about average for a European hotel, with plenty of room to stow our two large suitcases. The 'queen' bed may have been two twin mattresses put inside a queen size frame, but I can't remember with 100% certainty. The bathroom was roomy and clean, with a nice sized shower/tub. All in all, very good and worth the price.

Location wise, this place is about a 8-10 minute walk almost directly east of the train station. It's not in a touristy locale at all, but my wife and I felt safe making the walk and it's literally one minute to the nearest subway station--only 2 or 3 stops from the Colosseo exit for the Colosseum. From there, you can pretty much get to wherever you want to go. Don't let the fact that this hotel isn't centrally located deter you at all--Rome is very much about walking the city.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this place as a very affordable, quality hotel with pleasant staff.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sambruin98
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My first hotel experience in Rome was a nice one at the Hotel Canada. Staff were knowledgeable and helpful at the desk, as well as in the breakfast room where one of our servers had made an apple breakfast cake that was outstanding, and there was a nice variety of other food. The front desk's staff knew English more than in the dining/breakfast room, but we got by. It was a few long & rough-road blocks to drag suitcases from the station, but not a big deal once the suitcases were put in. There are good restaurants nearby & the hotel is just enough away from a main area to feel like a quieter neighborhood. The room was charming & the bathroom was nice. We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coastal6107
Claypool, Arizona
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We ended our ten day stay in Italy with two nights at this hotel in Rome. It is located just five blocks from the train station and within walking distance to many restaurants. The rooms are very well decorated and beautifully renovated. The lounge in the lobby was a fun place to mingle and meet other travelers after a long day of touring. The historic elevator is worth the ride!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Rome011
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed here after our cruise, for 3 nights, recommended by a travel agent who had stayed there. Clean, lovely, and spacious rooms with a large clean bathroom and a comfortable bed. We were on the street side but still quiet. Our traveling companions' room was on a courtyard and had a balcony. The small wrought iron elevator worked well unless someone left the door open on another floor. The lobby was like a comfy living room with a small library that included books on Rome, and snacks were left out in the evening. The one computer in the lobby provided free and fast internet.
The included breakfast was wonderful with hot and cold items, eggs, pastries, juice, fruit, yoghurt, etc. and was served in a bright homey room by very pleasant staff. The front desk staff was very helpful with arranging for our early flight. They ordered the cab and advised us of the rate, and had a great breakfast tray with fruit, juice, a kettle, tea, coffee, croissants, and biscuits in our room when we got back to our room the night before we left.
The location was fine for us, only 5 min from the Termini station and tour bus lines and not really a long walk from several of the areas we visited. The neighborhood seemed very safe to us. We found a great comfortable restaurant to eat nearby.
I didn't compare prices to other area hotels but it seemed reasonable to us.
My only complaint would be that the hard marble and terra cotta flooring meant that the sound traveled within the hotel, so you could hear even quiet conversations in the hallway, but the other patrons were quiet and respectful so this wasn't an issue for our stay. Also, I couldn't print my boarding passes from the lobby computer without emailing them to the front desk and then they couldn't open them to print. The desk clerk was very helpful though with this process.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gavcol
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We have travelled a lot in Europe and this was our 4th or 5th trip to Rome. I am so happy I found this hotel and I thank all the other tripadvisor.com members who took their time to write about Hotel Canada or I would not have found it. The hotel was even better than expected and what a great value for Rome. I do agree with others who have written that it is out of the way and not within walking distance of any of the sites - believe me you won't care. This place is so lovely and at such a good price that it is worth it to take cabs. The rooms were huge, very clean, beautifully decorated, very comfortable beds and with very large bathrooms. We booked two rooms because we took our daughter with us so we saw two different configurations. We booked the higher priced rooms (not suites) and that money was well spent. The customer service was very good both before we got there and while we were there. The only time we had any problem was on our last day and we had to leave early in the morning and the night staff was still there. He wasn't very knowledgeable or helpful. Also be sure if you want to check on an early flight or print boarding passes do it the night before. This guy couldn't get me a passcode for the internet and even if he could have there was only one computer and a guy was "hogging" it looking at his facebook stuff.
Anyway, if you stay here you will be very pleased. Forgot to mention that the breakfasts that are included are absolutely wonderful and this adds a lot to the value.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank LovetotravelRichmond
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I've stayed at many hotels that include a continental breakfast in the room rate. Most of the time the breakfast is not worth getting out of bed for. My stay at the Hotel Canada changed that notion. When I checked-in to the hotel, I was sick with a nasty cold. I woke the next morning with a scratchy throat and decided to go down to the breakfast room for tea before heading to the nearest Farmacia. I was seated by a gentle woman who could have been the Italian grandmother I never had. At the buffet tables, I was greeted by all sorts of traditional handmade Italian delicacies: pastries, frittatas, cheeses, fruit. It was wonderful despite of my sore throat. I made a point to wake up early for breakfast each day that I was in Rome. I now think of breakfast as one meal never to miss in Italy!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo