“Perfect place to stay in Rome”

Hotel Canada, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #69 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I and our 2 kids stayed here for 4 nights. This was our best experience in Rome out of 3 times. The hotel was spotless and it was very nice inside. The service was excellent, very friendly staff willing to help you find good restaurants or places around the city to tour. Great complimentary breakfast as well. The rooms were extremely clean, very spacious, and the bathroom was large and comparable. The only downside to this hotel is that you can not walk to the main areas of Rome but it is right on the subway line and it's also right beside the train station. The price was very fair. I would recommend this lovely hotel to anybody travelling in Rome.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our first hotel in Italy didn't disappoint us. The room was spotless, big bathroom (which is hard to find in Europe). it's a 2 minutes walk to the Metro station; located in a very safe area. The breakfast was amazing, we sometimes skipped lunch because when u have a really good breakfast you're full for a while. I will recommend this hotel to my friends and family

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have visited Rome 4 times now and love the Hotel Canada. We love the bar prices (2 euro wine? Best deal in Rome!) and the fact that they have snacks (chips, nuts, olives, cheese, meat) for free in the evening. We would get wine and have a snack before heading out to dinner. Also breakfast is wonderful! Most hotels in Italy only have coffee and a pastry of some sort. Hotel Canada has an included breakfast of eggs, bacon, cereal, pastries, bread (toast), juice, coffees, yogurt, fruit, meat and cheese. We left full every morning.
We stayed in 2 different rooms during our stay. We left for the coast for a week and came back. Both rooms were wonderful. They were very different making it fun to stay twice. One room had a canopy bed! The room included phones, cd/mp3 player, hair dryer, shoe shine kit, toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoos and soaps, and slippers. You can ask for an iron to be brought to your room. Room service is free except during breakfast hours there is a small charge. There is a small elevator and the staff is very nice. The only problem we had was loud neighbors but that is not the hotels fault. We were on the same floor as a family in multiple rooms. They kept running down the hall, knocking on doors and yelling. The walls are thin and this kept us up some nights. Overall we loved our experience. It is within walking distance of Termini as well and very close to the subway.

Room Tip: Stay on the end of a hallway-less neighbors!
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This a long review. I tried to be thorough and help others, particularly those new to traveling in Italy.

Ordinarily I don’t stay in Best Westerns in the US but I wanted the convenience of being able to make reservations quickly and efficiently on-line without any translation issues or needing to send and receive confirmation emails. I liked that this and all the Best Westerns were individual properties and not cookie-cutter hotels, where every hotel looks just like the other. I wanted to experience the local flavor but felt I still needed the comfort of a world-wide chain. This was my first trip to Europe.

This hotel was highly rated and many commented on the friendliness of the staff. That
may be, however we were out most of the time and had limited interactions with the staff. We were here for four nights and this was a very good hotel. If my descriptions seem negative, they are not meant to be, this is only my US-world view coming through.

Room - From looking at the pictures, there are a wide variety of room types with different layouts, furniture and decorations. You may not get what you see. We had a pretty room with nice furniture and a beautiful painted ceiling. We needed two twin beds for my 21 year-old daughter and me. The beds were pushed together like a king bed and we pushed them apart, however, while the room was decent sized, there is not a lot of room to do this. The beds were comfortable. There were two small bedside tables, a desk and dresser with flat-screen tv. There was also a large closet and a fold-out suitcase holder. We liked the built-in radio for local flavor. Our room was on a higher floor and faced the busy street. We didn’t have any street noise or notice any problems with other noises.

Bathroom – Large and lots of good toiletries. See other people’s pictures. The shower was my “welcome to Italy” shower. The shower head was in the middle of the tub (lengthwise). The tub was long but narrow. I showered standing sideways. Great water pressure. You must request washcloths. In a country that has a separate bathroom fixture for cleaning your bottom, it seems odd they haven’t embraced the simple washcloth. This was standard throughout Italy.

A/C – worked well. It was hot in June while we were there and we were always comfortable. Your room key fob must be inserted into a slot for the electricity to work in your room including the A/C, so your room may not be cold when you return. Also, your electrical stuff like phones, laptops and shavers are not charging when you’re not there. This is also standard in other Italian hotels.

Key – as mentioned above, the room key has a very large fob. The custom is to give it to the front desk when leaving and pick it up when you return. This was a strange custom but one I got used to. Somehow it felt nice to walk in and request your key. Kind of like you were being greeted often. Also fun to practice my limited Italian, at least a little “Buona sera.”

Breakfast – This I could get used to. China, table cloths and wide selection of food. Different from my business travels with small breakfast offerings. See others pics. I found it different to have meats and cheeses with breakfast, but again, this was customary. Lots of baked goods, fruit, yogurt, cereal, eggs, etc. My daughter liked coffee and cappuccino. I learned to appreciate FREE WATER!

Not to far from the Termini train station, but still a struggle in 90 degree heat on cobblestone streets. The Termini area is “meh” at night. There are restaurants in the area around the hotel. Some homeless around the station. I felt very safe. Convenient to the subway - around the building and a block away from the nearest Metro station. It’s one stop to Termini, but why walk?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tim D
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for three nights at Best Western Canada in Rome, which overall was a nice hotel with comfortable rooms. Great assortment for breakfast, which others have mentioned. Location is convenient - only a few blocks away from the train station and metro station. A longer walk to the Coliseum and Forum. Good price located through TripAdvisor search. I had seen on TA that rooms facing the courtyard on higher floors were quieter and they honored that request. Although we didn't use the bar, it looks like a nice place to unwind.
There were a few drawbacks - 1. On the last day, there was some noise by inebriated folks passing in the hallway and in the room upstairs, although otherwise was quiet. I also woke up when the room started to smell a lot like second-hand smoke coming from the adjacent rooms and ventilation system. Maybe I'm just sensitive to that, but this was pretty gross and something I didn't need the night before I was to leave early the next morning. The next day I asked about this, and the person at the desk said that we had been put into a smoking room. He said we are supposed to ask for non-smoking in comments when we request a room. In this day and age, that seemed a bit anachronistic, especially for an otherwise nice hotel - non-smoking should be the default and usually is unless someone requests otherwise. 2. There is free wifi, so that's a perk, but the default system where you have to register and have a username and password sent to you for one day's use is a bit of a pain. The front desk will give you a 4-day username and password if you ask, and I'm not sure why they don't do that automatically. 3. The staff were friendly and helped with suggestions, directions, etc. However, on the first night, I asked for a suggestion for restaurant within walking distance preferably. He suggested a restaurant, Three Arches, around the corner, and gave me their card. This place was our worst meal in Italy over two weeks - don't go there. On the second night, I located a nice restaurant on TA site, which was about a half hour walk away - Il Fellini - which was superb and our best meal of the vacation. I highly recommend it instead.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bartok1
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Canada in early july for 2 nights and had a wonderful experience. I see the review about unfriendly staff but have to say the opposite. The front desk was helpful - we arrived early and they checked our bags for later check in. They also helped us with information on the Metro (subway).

The breakfast was wonderful - a wide variety of eggs, breads, dolce, juices and cappuccino. The room was spacious, immaculate and air conditioning worked well. The beds and pillows were comfortable and they gave you a checklist of what type of pillow you would like.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in july 2013 and the staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good and varied. The location was very central. As we had a quite noisy room the first night, we asked for a new room and the staff friendly meet our request.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com