Hotel Canada, BW Premier Collection
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
    Great 4.5/5
      2,235 results
      All reviewsbest western canadaaround the cornerfree nibblestrain stationcastro pretoriobar priceshotel barpastriesexcellent hotelclose to terminibreakfast roomroom was largeconvenient locationbreakfast was excellentroma terminithree starloved this hotel
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed January 16, 2013

It is a very nice hotel. Different than the usuall. Rooms, I think are closer to the old style of Rome. Very heavy furniture, old style of bathroom and concerning the price for what we got, I think it was pricey. I just expected something bigger! There wasn;t a minibar or any extra facility that usually 4* hotels have. The housekeeping was just ok. Nothing much. Just to make bed. The breakfast was good. The bartender at night was so friendly and polite, even more from the reception staff. Location is good but I think next time I will choose an other place to stay.

1  Thank PigiP
      Reviewed January 6, 2013

As promised 4 years ago if we returned to Rome, we would stay at the Best Western Hotel Canada, so of course, we did. Please see my prior review for room description, amenities, etc. It’s still a bargain as we paid 13 euro more per night this time (115) and got a slightly smaller, but one floor higher room on the top floor. We were in Room 512, also a corner room with 2 windows, but we were on the southeast end (prior time on northeast corner- I think I got the directions correct). There was plenty of room so no complaints on the slightly smaller room. The bathroom was the same size, but the tub was very narrow. I don’t think I took a bath last time-just a shower. The shower curtain also stuck to you when you showered because of the vacuum created when the shower was used. Like they did 4 years ago, they still had the same top quality amenities in the bathroom, which were especially made for the hotel and were Tracce by Pucci Roma. We were there 3 nights, 2-5 January 2013. Breakfast was not as fantastic as I had imagined it would be last time after we had to leave very early and they gave us bags, but it did the job. The egg/cheese combo was lukewarm at best except the last morning when we were the first in the dining room. They didn’t have wheat toast, and the selection of meats was just very limp, almost raw bacon (but the way I like it so ok) and Vienna-like sausage. There were other cold dishes as well plus bread, juice, and some more morsels. They offered several coffee/tea choices, but one had to wait to be served the hot beverages so it could be a wait when crowded. We had a taxi booked the last day for the airport at 7:30, but actually he was there early and we left about 7:20. It was 50 euro, including luggage handling and service charge. It took about 40 minutes, and we had plenty of time for our 10:10 flight to New York. I would allow 90-120 minutes if you go during rush hour, but this was a Saturday morning. Actually, I would recommend the train at rush hour now that I remember how many back streets he took before we got to a little wider street, a little bigger boulevard, then an old freeway with 2 lanes on each side, and then a nice, wide, and modern one for the last few kilometers before the airport. For our journey into Rome, we paid 32 euro, including a 4 euro rip off agency fee, for the two of us to go by train and had to wait almost 30 minutes for the next train to leave and then had to walk with luggage from the far corner of Termini, I gladly paid the extra 18 euro this time. One observation I made was that taxis around Rome had a price of 48 euro posted on the side for a trip to the FCO airport, but we got a private minivan for 2 euro more so I didn’t argue with the gentleman at the front desk. We visited the bar each night for an hour or more. There was a very nice Peruvian barman the first 2 nights and an Albanian guy the last one. We received excellent service from the Peruvian guy as well as great conversation which is why we returned each night instead of going elsewhere or just having wine in our room. Also great service the last night, when I learned a lot of Albanian history as I had many questions and may have to visit Tirana sometimes in the next few years. Large wine bottles at 7 euro or small ones for 4 euro were an unbelievable deal for a hotel lounge. The free snacks, especially the olives and pistachio nuts, were great. It was also a way to meet some interesting people although there were only 3-4 others, at most, each night so we had almost our own private lounge. Although he was always very kind and helped me with several issues like reservations and transportation questions, the gentleman who worked the desk each afternoon and evening smoked like a chimney, and he did it just outside the front door, usually with the door open. Sitting in the bar, I got several whiffs of that nasty cigarette smoke smell. Also, our room was near the elevator, and smoke drifted up the shaft of the antique elevator which doesn’t have solid walls but just a metal grill frame. At night, they would close the fire doors between the elevator and our room so it was ok after midnight, but on 2 of the evenings, I could smell smoke all the way up on the 5th floor. I quit smoking 16 years ago and can’t breathe when I’m close to someone who is smoking, and it seems so many of the Romans still smoke and almost one after another! Everyone else at the hotel that we encountered from breakfast staff to others at front desk to those cleaning were very professional and welcoming with a smile. I don’t remember how the Internet worked 4 years ago and didn’t have my own mini laptop then, but this time it worked great most of the time. The signal was sometimes too weak, but it worked well enough, if patient, to check emails and restaurant listings on TripAdvisor.
      I wanted to include one Roman observation that isn’t related to the hotel. After choosing the wrong option for my waiting number at the post office until I found someone with postcards in hand who spoke English (actually French or German would have worked as well and they were Swiss and spoke all of them), I had to get a new number. They have 3 options, and you choose one based on what you needed there and received a number for your window. I guess the postal window workers only could do one task and couldn't multitask. I then waited along with the very kind Swiss people for over a half hour before their number was called, and then a few minutes later, my number was called. The one, older Swiss lady and I chatted for 30 minutes, mostly in French but also in German and English as I am trying to improve my spoken German. I approached the window and had to speak French to the lady at the counter because she didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Italian. She informed me that they would meter the postcard and put a sticker on it, but I didn’t have my postcards with me (hadn’t even written them yet), and they didn’t sell stamps and would not sell the stickers either. It was so typical of many experiences in Rome. I grew up in south Georgia, and people move more slowly in Rome—I see why things are the way they are in Italy! I then learned that you buy stamps where they sell tobacco products. When I was in Italy 4 years ago and bought stamps at the post office in Pompeii, it cost 85 euro cents for a postcard to the US. It is now 2 euro! France also was 85 the last decade but is now 89! I had 2 stamps from my 2009 trip so I decided to only send one postcard. I was able to buy 3-10 euro cent stamps. They didn’t have one for 30 so I sent my postcard with 5 stamps, and they weren’t tiny so they took up a good section of the postcard. I am curious to see if it arrives in the US! I learned my lesson-send all postcards before or after Italy but not from Italy.
      In summary, this hotel is still great and is not to blame for the stamp situation. I would give it about a 4.7 so will round to 5. I had 3 days to be picky this time unlike last time when I was there barely 16 hours. The only minor issues are mentioned above 1) the smoke issue, 2) the good but not great breakfast, 3) sometimes slow Internet connection, and 4) the narrow tub. If I return to Rome, this will be my first choice unless I just need 1 night close to the airport for an early flight. Now that I’ve been to Rome 3 times, I can skip the city, if there only for 1 night unlike my stay in 2009 when I wanted to explore since it was only my 2nd time. I prefer Paris anyway, and there are so many other places to go in Europe and even northern Italy, which seems like a different country! There is also a great restaurant just a couple of streets away-Mamma Angela’s at Via Palestro, 53. The owner is English (Manchester area), but the restaurant is 100% Italian with an all male waitstaff and has great, fresh food and lots of wine choices (some very pricey-but the cheapest red was very good).

Room Tip: away from the elevator shaft if smoking bothers you
      • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
      4  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
      Reviewed January 5, 2013

My partner and I stayed here over NYE. Very clean and great location as 1 minute walk from a Metro stop. Breakfast was included, however, it may not appeal to everyone. Lovely bar area to relax in in the evening. Only thing missing was a big size bath to relax in after a long day walking!

2  Thank Georgina H
      Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel Canada for three nights. It is part of the hotel chain Best Western, and therefore a guarantee of higher quality. The hotel is very nice and located close to the train station Roma Termini. Even the subway is within walking distance. Our room was very nice, clean and cozy, the breakfast buffet excellent, very plentiful and the hotel staff was very friendly giving us information about the city. I highly recommend it

2  Thank Byrne B
      Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were a group of six from Canada who stayed at this Hotel at the end of October, 2012., after a brief vacation in Italy and a Celebrity cruise out of Rome to Greece and Turkey. This is the second time we have stayed at the BW Hotel Canada, the first time being June 2008. We liked it so much the first time we thought we would return. We were not disappointed. Each time we were accompanied by a group of friends and all were pleased with the Hotel. The Hotel is convienently located near the train station and metro. You can take the metro to the Vatican for a few Euros. For those who enjoy walking, there is ample shopping and sight seeing within reach. The first day there, we walked to the Colosseum and the Spanish Steps as well as to the Trivi Fountain - a bit of a walk but very enjoyable. Rome is a great city in which to walk. The restaurants and shopping were great. Prices better than 2008 probably due to the difficult economy. Of course, the exchange rate was also much better for tourists. The Hotel is friendly with a lot of charm. The rooms are quite comfortable and clean. The public area is relatively small but very tastefully decorated and furnished, and very comfortable; a nice setting to gather with your friends or just relax, have a drink etc. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast, included in the rate, was quite good. All in all, it was good value.There are other BW hotels in Rome, one just around the corner the BW Hotel VillaFranca. While always interested in new experiences, we still would not hesitate to stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends