“Beautiful Hotel, handy location too!”
Review of Hotel Genio

Hotel Genio
Ranked #424 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Me and my partner have recently got back from Rome.

We stayed in this beautiful hotel with spectacular views. You have breakfast on the terrace, there is even a balcony area for when it is good weather to eat outside. You can see the vatican from the terrace.

It is close to a beautiful river too which looks stunning at night, just have to cross the bridge over the road and you are half way to the vatican really.

Great location. We walked everywhere. We learned our lesson with taxis. Driver charged us 28 euros for a walk we could do in about 20 mins from termini station.

The hotel was lovely. The gentlemen at the front reception are helpful and welcoming. The maid service was thorough and mini bar topped every day.

Must remember there is a tax for each night you stay but that is throughout the city. They collect this at the end of your stay when you check out.

I would definitely stay again. The breakfast you have a varied choice from cheeses, ham to cereal and pastries. I personally loved the fruit and yoghurts. It was an added bonus that the tea was fresh and coffee looked very foamy. I don't drink it but my partner does. Looked top quality and he was pleased.

Our room itself had a double bed, traditionally decorated in a classic way with tv, minibar and hair dryer. Even had toileteries! Nice that they even had flat screen tvs. Was very clean, no stains or worn down furniture. Just had to mind the step from bedroom to bathroom.

Overall pleasant experience, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor, good views. Even though we had views of the street, least it wa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank katy s

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I happen to travel continuously around Europe for my job including eastern Europe. A two night stay in hotel Genio was, I have to confess, one of my worst experiences for quite a while. The first night I had to get out of bed at just after midnight and move rooms as I had been given one over the road at the front of the hotel - a bus route, a taxi rank, need I say more. The decor is 1970's as is the whole hotel, it seriously needs some refurbishment even at the cheaper end of the price range. I made the mistake of asking for an iron, "sorry Sir we don't allow guest to use an iron". Be aware, the power sockets in the rooms are the narrow 2-pin only not the circular more modern two pin. In both bathrooms I had, the shower heads could not be positioned for a shower you had to hold them as the brackets we too old and also be prepared to run the water for 15-20 mins to get a decent temperature. The bathroom in my second room smelt so badly of sewage that even the cleaner left the window open in November to try and reduce the smell. So in summary, great location and if that's the most important thing then you will be happy, if you expect too much else, you might want to consider an alternative.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the front unless its on higher floors there is a lot of road noise into and...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank OneZeroBravo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

When you are right next to Piazza Navona there is not much more that needs to be said. The Hotel Genio did not disappoint in any category. The room was spacious and quiet, the front desk went out of their way to meet my expectations and requests.The breakfast buffet on the top floor is just icing on the cake, I've been traveling throughout Italy for the past 6 weeks and the breakfast buffet at the Genio was one of the best, the first morning I couldn't concentrate on breakfast, the views are amazing. When you have the dome of St Peter's on one side and the Pantheon on the other, you know your in the right place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Tom F
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The staff at the Genio were very helpful and friendly. It was close to everything but very quiet. It has a lovely roof terrace where one can enjoy breakfast and view St Peter's and many other land marks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dorothy M
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was hesitant to book this hotel based on some of the reviews especially about overbooking. My travel agent at AAA had recommended the hotel based on location right next to Piazza Navona which is walking distance to most of the tourist attractions. When I mentioned the reviews he said that he would email them and let them know of my concerns and was sure there wouldn't be a problem. There wasn't. I'm not sure if that's because of his email or if the hotel wasn't full. The room was nice and large for a European hotel. The bed had seen better days--lumpy. The included breakfast was fine and typical. I'd stay there again but based on the other reviews would make sure I was guaranteed a room when I arrived.

Room Tip: We were in room 509 which had a small balcony and might have been larger because it was a corner un...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect! The rooms are clean och they have a very good breakfast buffé on the roof terace! It is the best way to start the day!
You have Piazza Navona just around the corner and ten minutes walk to Saint Peters Square.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We too expected to stay at this hotel based on its fantastic location near Piazza Navona, but we only got as far as the lobby ! Then we were advised that there was no room available and they switched our reservation to another of their Leonardi hotels before sending us off in a taxi !
I am not sure why anyone would consider Genio - its a big gamble ! With 17 hotels in the chain, I guess your odds are about 1 in 17 to get in !

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple