“Really friendly, well located hotel with old-style luxury”

Hotel Majestic Roma
Ranked #101 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the last two nights of my 8 week trip to Europe. I wanted a little bit of luxury to finish my trip but couldn't afford to really splurge: this hotel was a fantastic option for me. I had originally booked a junior suite (900 euros including breakfast) but cancelled it a couple of days before arriving, after a budget reality check, and instead booked the prepaid rate for a deluxe double room (408 euros not including breakfast). I am so glad I did this, because they upgraded me anyway, when I arrived: I am not sure if my room was actually a junior suite or just a really nice deluxe but it had lots of space, dual aspect (room 420 is a corner room) and felt very luxurious indeed. The room was huge with a sofa, table and chairs, desk, big very comfortable bed, entry hallway, and huge bathroom filled with nice quality toiletries. There was a mini bar with room to store my parmesan cheese in! It was a real treat! I loved that the shuttered windows opened - it was so nice to hear the church bells, and to look out over the rooftops of Rome. I didn't find street noise a problem at all. I could see the parliament building from my room.

The concierge staff are fabulous: they know your name immediately and address you by it every time you are within hearing distance. I found them very helpful.

I had room service breakfast (ordering from the a la carte menu rather than paying 40 euros for a basket of pastries and coffee and juice, means you can have scrambled eggs, toast and juice for about 25 euros) and also room service dinner (limited menu, but fine) and all meals are delivered in style (silver domes, tables etc), piping hot and promptly.

The hotel organised a car to the airport for me (60 euros, cash paid to driver) which was much nicer than dealing with taxis (which was a bit of an ordeal; they have a tendency to turn the metre off before you arrive at your destination and then bring out a figure that seems wildly inflated. For instance, the taxi from the train station ended up being 19 euros rather than 10; coming back from the trevi fountain doubled). The drive to the airport, in the pouring rain, took 45 minutes, and it was so much better to do it this way than taxi to the station, and train ...

By the way, if you are flying out of FCO airport terminal 3: I had read terrible reviews about the experience and ended up leaving the hotel at 8am so as to be there as soon as check in opened at 8.45am. This was a great decision: I was through immigration and customs, and the VAT refund process, inside of half an hour, but I could totally see how, within an hour or so, it would be a total nightmare: the immigration hall is a labyrinth. As it was, I didn't queue at all - just walked straight up to a counter and was on my way. If I had had to do that in a crowd, I would not have liked it at all. The VAT refund process is convoluted but again, I did it without queues. then you catch a train to the gates: I ended up with several hours to relax in the lounge, and I would much rather have done that than spend those hours stressed out in queues. So that would be my tip: go early and relax in the lounge, rather than waiting at the hotel and having to queue later.

But back to the hotel: I would definitely recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank emah

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel is great, well placed on the Via Veneto and walking distance to everything. The lobby area, bar and reading rooms are a pure luxury.

The room was reasonable, clean, white but not huge (not surprising given a city hotel). The bathroom was large but a poor shower. This was my rationale for dropping a star....I should have upgraded the room!

The staff are fantastic. Very polite, very helpful.

Highly recommended...especially for the price I paid.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank KWBarbs
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A while since we stayed but what an astonishing place! Truly five star full of local dignitaries and stars. By far the best asset is the roof garden and bar; and its amazing location on the Via Veneto. The rooftop bar is an amazing place to watch the hoi-polio walking by. OK it is expensive but well worth it as a treat! The bedrooms are 'bijou' but sumptuously appointed and extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Excellent rooms, but if you can spend a little more, get an upgrade... you won't be disappointed...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank John M
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Enjoyed the warm hospitality at the Majestic Rome, which commands a central location and spacious rooms. Excellent and attentive service overall is a pleasant experience, but expensive breakfast and slow internet (albeit free) are behind the current times.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank namrun14
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at The Majestic, I was annoyed. Here we were at a supposed 5 star hotel in Rome, and everything looked worn, beaten. The elevator was a mess, and the carpets were dingy. Still, we persevered to our rooms because it was late, and we had prepaid on Hotels.com. The rooms were a totally different story -- well appointed and beautifully kept. The service was also excellent. When our Internet failed to work, the manager moved us to a glittering junior suite, and I actually think it's worth getting a junior suite, if you can. It's substantially larger and more comfortable. In the end, I left pleased, knowing we had picked the right hotel. I do wish they'd remodel the public areas, but I'm sure they have high traffic, so it's certain to be a nonstop issue. The rooms and service will make up for any qualms you may feel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sjgjess1
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Perfect romantic place.

Location is perfect because is not on the center of the old part of Rome, but it's about 5 or 7 minutes walking, so it's a relaxing área. It has the subway almost in front if needed.

Price is really good for the quality in comparission to other hotels in Rome.

Room is big, nice and clean.

Bathroom has everything you need, very bright and clean and all works perfect.

People are very nice.

The bed of our room (deluxe) was huge, full of pillows of diferente sizes and weights. It's like sleeping on the clouds!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Albert P
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Pluses:

- Huge rooms: The room we had is standard, but was almost the size of a junior suite in most European hotels. There was plenty of space to put our luggage and ample closet space, as well as a very large marbled bathroom, perhaps twice the size of a standard bathroom. Also, even though the hotel is housed in an old building (naturally), the interiors are modernised and classically decorated.

- Competent staff: staff were always friendly and effective. Special shout-out to Giuseppe, the best concierge I worked with in Italy. Being a foodie, I corresponded with him via email before arrival to sort out my restaurant reservations during the holiday season when many good places are closed. He called every restaurant I listed to check their availability and subsequently made reservations for me. I also asked the concierge at other hotels we stayed in Italy (St. Regis, Sofitel) to do the same thing, and none of them were as quick to respond, thorough, and competent as Giuseppe. Also, we were out of toilet paper once, and a housekeeping staff came pretty much 30 seconds after we asked for more. I was blown away by the level of efficiency here.

-Location: Yes, I know via Veneto is not as fashionable as it was 50 years ago, but it's walkable distance to a lot of the key tourist sites and shopping streets. It's also home to many hotels, which means cafes, convenient stores, salons nearby are open even during Christmas. Most importantly, the street is pleasant and beautiful, with lots of (mostly bad) restaurants and trees lining the sidewalk. It was always nice to return to the hotel.

-Fares: I got an amazing deal ($213 a night). Not sure if the hotel is reasonably priced all year round, but the great value made everything seem even better.

-Breakfast: To those who don't want to spend 30 euros on the breakfast buffet, you can order a la carte and spend 12-16 euros on each course. We tried the buffet on our last day and it was terrific - I'm not particularly fond of pies but I thought that they were the star here. Breakfast was IMO reasonably priced given the quality of food, service, and ambiance.

Minuses:

-Beds: the bed and linens were not as comfortable. It was a bit on the hard and rough end.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family