“Price/Location”

Best Western Hotel President
Ranked #204 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 7, 2014

It's a good hotel with nice and comfortable beds. The Location is really good to travel by underground, on the corner of the hotel (Manzoni station) and to take train from Termini train station. To visit Colosseum/ancient Rome sites is about 10 minutes walking. The price is affordable. For Brazilians, there is one gracious girl in the reception who speaks portuguese very well, what is difficult in many hotels in europe, even in some cities like Rome and Paris where we always can see a lot of brazilians on tourism or business.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Hotel President, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear mmrander,
Many thanks for your kind comment about your stay at our hotel.
I am content your experience here was positive and that we were able to offer you a comfortable stay also due to our central location.
We are looking forward to welcome you again soon,
Arrivederci!

There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel President

Reviewed March 22, 2014

myself and my husband spent 4 nights at this hotel earlier this month. We arrived early and our room was read for us. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, we were made to feel like nothing was too much trouble. The hotel room was very big, very clean and the had everything we could have needed, including a safe in the room- something other reviews on this site had said was missing. The location of this hotel is excellent, the metro staion is meters away from the hotel and is very easy to use, tram links around the corner. However we walked most places, everything is that close!
The only reason I have not given this hotel full marks was the food- to be fair the breakfast was adequet - a good selection on offer but it was the restaurant menu which lets the hotel down - very limited and not to our taste. However saying that who goes to Rome to eat in the hotel we certainly did not, so therefore to us this was not an issue for us. But to others this may cause problems. The Bar was in the process of being referbished - but there was still a very good bar service on offer. We fell in love with the city and will definatly be going back soon, when we do we certainly will be booking this hotel again.
Thank you Hotel President for making out trip so special.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VickiWH1981
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Hotel President, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear VickiWH19,
Thank you very very much for your lovely review.
I am really pleased to know we have made your holiday one to remember!
Great also that the location was ideal for your Rome sightseeing walking tour.
I'd like to thank you also for the comment about the restaurant menu of which I have taken notice.
Our goal is to keep on improving hence our customers' advices and suggestions are more than welcome.
We wish there will be another occasion to see you hopefully in the next future.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Ok maybe it's not a full 4 stars but it's close. Rooms are spacious, clean with nice bathrooms. Beds are firm but ok. The breakfast is excellent and the staff polite and professional. It's location is good for the older part of Rome. The bar is basic but 3 euros a bottle is good for hotel prices. For a weekend break in Rome it is excellent value and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel is quiet compared to front which is on busy road.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Hotel President, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear healeysru,
Thank you very much for your comment.
It's great to know we have been able to meet your demand and that your stay was hence comfortable.
Thanks also for giving us a feedback about cleaniness, the staff professionality and the breakfast service, services we particularly like to take care of.
We look forward to another occasion to welcome you.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just back from a 4 night stay in rome for st patrick's day, Lovely hotel, friendly staff. Location was perfect the manzoni stop on the metro was right outside the front door, if you are a walker can walk to the collusseum too. lovely breakfast, lots of breads cheeses & fruit plus soys milk & youghart on request rember to ask for a special coffee from the waiter for an americano Otherwise just machine coffee so dissapointing but their speccial coffee & esspresso was great, nice wee cafe next door for a late night glass of weine as you watch the world go by, the hotel bar is non existant really, but clean bright and friendly, location, location, location is the thing here, bus taxis & trams all outside the door. very relaxed stay great for young people and no crying children to be seen , happy days. Do the green line open bus tour for the best sights, get a voucher from the hotel to get discount on the tour bus.

Room Tip: we had a triple room which was excellen t as my 14year old son came was at the front so a little bit...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Moya M
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Hotel President, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Moya M,
Many thanks for your lovely review.
I am pleased to acknowledge your stay at our hotel was comfortable and that location was the important plus that made the difference to your holiday in Rome.
We are looking forward to welcome you again,
Arrivederci!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Okay, so I'll split this into sections so you don't get lost in the text..

***City Tax****
Just a note in case you dont read the lot (its long lol) ...we were surprised by a 'City tax' applied on check out. It worked out to 3 Euros each per day , 30 Euro in total. Which is based on a 4 star charge!

I know this is more than likely local council enforced as opposed to the hotels choice, but I thought it worth posting in case you are not aware of this. I imagine its quite expensive if you have a family along for the trip. I was annoyed to be honest as it put a bit of a damper on the end of the trip, especially as I didnt think we were in a 4 star to start with once we saw the hotel, there wasnt adequate warning on lastminute.com, the hotel website or from reception staff when we checked in. That plus I would expect the city paths,roads etc to be sparkling from all the cash they are getting from all us tourists -but thats more of a political issue than with the hotel of course :) ***

Hotel:

The hotel is currently undergoing renovation work in the lobby area. There were no mentions or apologies for it when we booked in. It didn't really bother us so to speak, but it did detract from the impact when entering the building.

The decor of the hotel is quite dated. Its of a good quality but it does have a 60's/70's feel to it and we were both a bit disappointed.

The reception staff all speak really good English, which was a massive help to us and we were so grateful.

The hotel is family friendly and also does have a variety of tour groups coming through ( many school children from various countries ) and they can be noisy.

The lifts are very small, you can squeeze around 5 in without luggage, but if you have a tour arriving (and there are many tour groups using this hotel) its worth just waiting in reception until they've all finished (if you have the time to do so).

The breakfast was good enough to set us on our way every day, very continental as you would expect and self service with teas, coffees, juices, cereals, pastries, breads, meats and cheeses, and a slightly odd take on a cooked breakfast (mini chipolata style sausages, bacon and scrambled eggs) my other half had it every day so he was happy, but I avoided it just through preference really.

We both felt that the weekday staff were more attentive than the staff that were on reception and on breakfast duty. That isn't to say the weekend staff weren't pleasant on the weekend!, they just came across as a little less happy to help is all.

There is a computer in reception with a printer (which is all free to use), which I was impressed with and we managed to print our Vatican museum tickets out before going (a must if you want to avoid crazy queues!).

Room:

We booked a King room for 5 nights (from 1st march 2014). The bed was king sized which we were happy with, but the room itself definitely was not. You had space either side of the bed (wide enough to lay a case down flat) with enough walking space at the end of the bed (between the bed and a dressing table).

The cleanliness of the hotel is excellent, the beds were made every day (with the option to opt out if you wish) and the towels were changed every day (if you wished you could opt out of this too).

The tv worked but had only 2 station in english which was sky news and cnn.Obviously you dont go on holiday to watch tv, but it helps after a long day out when you are tired! The pay per view didn't work and when we asked reception they sent up a workman that couldnt fix it either. We were told that management had changed and that could have something to do with it. (That could also have been for the works in the reception and the response of the staff at the weekend)

We didn't have tea and coffee making facilities in the room (despite my request when i booked the room with lastminute.com) So I asked at reception and they were brought up. They weren't replenished though so I had to get extra tea bags at breakfast.

The bed was king sized with lots of room , but slightly uncomfortable (but I think that's down to preference) and the duvet cover wasn't sealed , which became slightly annoying through the night.

We had a room at the back of the hotel, through pure luck, but I would suggest if staying that you ask for this to limit noise from the street.

The heating didn't work well, we tried to reduce the temperature as it was too hot, but that didn't work so we spent most of the time with the window open. Not a massive issue but not easy to regulate the temperature!

Location:

The location was good. The hotel is right next to the Manzoni metro station ( 2 stops from termini), the no 3 tram line stop (tram takes you right outside the Colleseum) and various buses looked like they came past the hotel.
The hotel is a slow 15-20 min walk to the Colosseum, but you could do it in 10 if you walk at pace. We just wanted to save our legs is all :)

There are a few shops nearby, cafes (Aishas was our favourite), gelateria (casa del gelato has gorgeous gelato..I wish they delivered to england! lol!), paper shops, a cool little vending machine room on the street round the corner (opposite the tram stop) and various other shops and takeaways.
The hotel , feels like its in the burbs..but in reality when you look at the map you are in the city..just not immediately next door to the attractions.

In summary - would we stay there again? maybe. It was pleasant enough, but it would have to be for a shorter stay, once renovations are complete and I would demand a larger room for the money we paid (king was not king in my book..we were in room 302). To be honest though I think we would both prefer a hotel a teeny bit closer to ancient Rome with more facilities (pool etc) and maybe entertainment but that's down to us and the choice we made- not the hotel itself.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FOSTIE
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Hotel President, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear FOSTIE,
Many thanks for your detailed comment.
By telling us what you've enjoyed and what you have not, you help us to focus on the services that need improving.
All comments either negative or positive are very important for our work.
Hoping there will be soon another chance to welcome you,

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We enjoyed a lot our staying at this hotel for our 3 nights Rome city break.
Very good breakfast buffet with a very large choice of food and beverages.
The hotel position is very convenient, having in mind the goal of Rome visit, being located at two metro stops away of Termini hub.
Very nice and well equipped rooms.
One small minus - the heating system doesn't work as we expect. Basically even though we set the temperature at a higher level (say 24 - 25 degree C), it doesn't meet our setting, I don't know for what reason.
All in one - a good option for Rome accommodation.

Room Tip: rooms located within elevator area should be avoided because of people traffic and noise
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Emil J

Dear Emil_ro,
Many thanks for your comment.
It's been a pleasure having you here and we do hope there will be soon another occasion to welcome you.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed here February 17th to 21st - basically a building site - work in and around reception and bar was disruptive and disappointing and no attempt at apologies or explanation - just a shrug from the staff !
Breakfast was a cattle market if you wanted an early start - with multiple school trips from America and Japan ( apparently a norm for this Hotel) a quiet start to the day was out of the question. References in previous reports about a good fried breakfast amaze me - fatty streaky bacon, tinned party cocktail hotdog sausages and scrambled egg was the only cooked food available. Otherwise a bog standard continental breakfast
No tea or coffee making facilities in room until we asked for them - be aware of this.
One of the two lifts was out of service and in a hotel this size with a lift that won't hold more than 5 persons that is a problem.
Room had no air conditioning and centrally controlled heating system that meant that as we had wonderful February temperatures it was impossible to sleep without the window open and it was very noisy so close to a traffic junction, police whistles and sirens - at Night 1 it was a nice ambiance and on Night 4 we were close to homicidal and hadn't had a good sleep.
Be very careful at this hotel - dinner and bar meals mediocre at the very best - there are hotels nearer to the main sights that would be better I assure you
This hotel could be better with focused organisation, less school kids, and more customer care. Best Western should be embarrassed to have their name attributed to this Hotel - Fawlty Towers would be a better investment!
Oh the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable.

Room Tip: Avoid Hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank PJB269
Management_Roscioli, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Hotel President, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear PJB269,
Thank you for the comment about your recent stay at our hotel.
I am pleased to read you have appreciated the cleanliness of our rooms and the coziness of our beds.
I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to you and to all our customers about the works in progress going on in our lobby area that I understand can be fastidious.
Renovation was necessary and, also in this occasion, we have asked our clients suggestions and opinions about what could be done to offer a new and more comfortable area.
For what concerns our type of clientele, I would like to remind you that we are a family hotel, infact we have joined Best Western kids programme, and we are proud to be able to accommodate also young people.
Referring to your comment about breakfast items I would like to underline that we offer more than 60 fresh items to satisfy all tastes.
Also, if desidered, our staff is available to prepare customized eggs, toasts, coffee, tea, cappuccino and much more.
Either on our website and on our brochures it is specified that coffee and tea making facilities are available on request, as a matter of fact I am pleased to read that, upon asking, you've been provided with it.
I apologize for the temporary problem with one of our elevators which has been promptly fixed; unfortunately these are situations than can occur and cannot be charged upon our responsibility.
I do hope you will give us another chance coming to see us when the renovation will be complete, we'd love to show you the care and attention we reserve to each one of our guests.