“A nice choice for the opulent traveller”
Review of The St. Regis Rome

The St. Regis Rome
Ranked #88 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We arrived at this hotel coming from our first accommodation, Lord Byron. They were amply staffed to handle the check-in process efficiently, so that made for a quick and pleasant first impression of The St. Regis.

From the moment you step foot into this historic building, that feeling of elegance one would expect to find at a St. Regis establishment is immediately brought to attention. 18th and early 19th century Italian and French influences make for authentic, urbane surroundings, perfect for a romantic Roman getaway. We happened to be on our anniversary trip (December), so the lobby was beautifully embellished with an enormous Christmas tree and lavish decorations.

Our standard room was spacious (for european standards) and pristine. Hand painted murals adorned the walls, set off by dramatic floor to ceiling draperies and period style furnishings. The bathroom was well lit, with separate bathtub and shower. High quality robes and slippers available for use.

Le Grand Bar (down in the lobby) features a notably overpriced menu for the food quality and portion size you receive. We did not try the other two restaurants in the hotel.

Overall worthy of a 5 star rating for a large city european hotel, the St. Regis is a nice choice for the opulent traveler. Close proximity to the Roma Termini (train station), and subway access is a plus.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank heatheratkins

Reviewed February 18, 2010

Last week, my wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the St. Regis Grand Hotel Rome.
I am the General Partner of a successful venture capital firm and know luxury.
The purpose of our stay was to attend a friend's 4 day wedding. There were events held at the St. Regis and I must say, the service was outstanding across all fronts.

In particular, Monica Zanghirato, Events Sales Coordinator was amazing! Her eye for detail was spectacular, and each guests desires were attended to.

When staying in Rome on business or pleasure, The St. Regis is THE ONLY place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2010

This was our second stop in Italy for our honeymoon. from the train station, it was a quick 10 minute ride, the hotel is known to some cabbies under a different name (but now I forgot what he said), he found it after calling it in but it was no problem, I loved taking the ride. We immediately were impressed with the grandeur of the hotel & the staff. We were upgraded to a suite and greeted with a bottle of champagne, a really nice touch. Upon venturing, we were a little lost, hotel is huge and there were is much space we felt like royalty in a castle. The gym is hard to get to but most of our stay no one realy went there so we had a lot of privacy. Sometime we had to call for water but they came pretty fast.

I did have one problem, on our first day, there was a bald headed young guy at the concierge desk who had an attitude and sent us the wrong way when we asked how to get to the coliseum. We actually walked around Rome for hours only to find the train station a block away and the colisuem about a 20 minute walk. When we walked by the fountain, you can see it from the hotel, yuo make a right and follow the path. We actually saw the movie premiere of "Made of Honor"...lots of stars and that was really cool. they even did a press conference in our hotel!

The next time we spoke with him he had the "same chip" on shoulder and my husband wanted to talk to someone but I passed. Why let him ruin our trip so we knew not to go to him again and asked the doormen questions, they were just as informed and willing to help. Just be ready to tip.

Rome is awesome, its beautiful and bustling, just as we expected. We toured on foot most days and just got lost in the atmosphere, the steps are somehitng not to miss and afterwards go window shopping, you cant miss this. We also stopped at a deli, got lunch and sat on the steps and ate. There are so many people, be prepared but it was fun.

Enjoy, I would go back in a heartbeat, bring money it is not CHEAP.

Next time though I think I woud try the Westin, it was a better location with a park across the street.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jasmina26
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Stayed here using Starwood points in Dec-09 and found everything about the hotel luxurious, warm, friendly and ridiculously priced (of course)...especially with the bad US/Euro exchange rate. We had a beautiful room and the hotel seemed nearly empty which probably helped the service. It is in a great location with an easy 5-10 minute walk to subway, restaurants, train station and local sights. I would stay here again in a second, as long as I wasn't paying for it. If you don't buy anything inside the hotel, it works out great.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank kmanct
Reviewed January 19, 2010

The husband and I stayed here on Starwood points+cash on our Honeymoon last May. As the reviewer below notes, it's a total steal if you can stay here on cash + points. This is a beautiful hotel from which we had absolutely no problem walking to and from all of the touristy sites in Rome. If you're lazy or unable to walk due to injury, I don't think a cab from this hotel would be too pricey.

We knew the minute we walked into the lobby that we were totally out of our league. We were the only guests not in business attire but hey, it was our honeymoon so we weren't bothered. Despite the fact that we were totally underdressed and paying via cash/points, we were still treated just as well as any other guest, which is a standard for Starwood. Their service is unmatched, no doubt.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sassathon
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I wrote a review of this place that was critical on Aug 5, 2007. I sent my review to the General Manager of the St. Regis, who promptly replied (regrettably, this review should have been written sooner.) But the GM wrote me back and offered me a complimentary stay in the hopes that I would give them another chance. My point is not to highlight the free stay but rather to acknowledge his efforts to rectify a poor situation. He did. We received stellar service upon our return, and while I'm sure we were the couple who had "made the complaint," we were treated with kindness and fairness and enjoyed a pleasant stay over the holidays.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Throbbert
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We got this hotel for our Rome visit last minute when the cash and points option opened up- it sure was a steal. I think it sucks when people say "not sure if i would have stayed here full price" for one of these starwood reviews.

The location is central enough unless you are a lazy, lazy slob. I guess the obese and elderly might have a tough time but it's equidistant between spanish steps, trevi fountain and the colsseum/palantine/forum area- wife and I walked everywhere.

Concierge hooked us up with a boss Ethiopian restaurant in the area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple