“Never Again...”

Ranked #84 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Texas
“Never Again...”
Reviewed May 3, 2006

As a Starwood Plat one at least thinks they might be treated with a little respect--not here! At $500/night i was hoping for a good room and great service. Not so here. Was checked in by Angelo who could care less about the client. Got an upgrade to a room with no view and small--great job Angelo. Called manager to inquire and they did not care. Stay at top class hotels around the world and do not mind paying and all I ask in return is a hotel with great cust service. Not to be had here. Very stuffy and cold--no charm or personality at all. Stayed 3 nights and would never do it again. Decor is beatiful, but don't expect much in the way of service or concierge. Poor resturant recommendations--just send guest to tourist trap places--how boring. Did find great place close to hotel called Target--great food and service.

Hope to find better place next time in Rome...what a complete disappointed the St. Regis was.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank texex91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2006

I went with my mother and sister to Rome for spring break this year (6 days). None of us knew the language, and it was our first time in Italy--it was no problem because St. Regis made everything so easy.

When we first entered, we were greeted so well. They upgraded us to a suite, and were escorted personally by the front desk to our room. The front desk knew very, very good english, which was a definite plus for us, since we didn't know much about the city at all. The room was big and beautiful. It had a seperate dressing room, and the bathroom was lovely (especially the Hermes amenities).

The service was amazing, and the food was great (even though it was way too pricey--i payed 10 euro for a diet coke one night). My sister got the flu during the trip, and they went out and got us medicine for her, and would ask her everytime she left the hotel how she was feeling. We also left our phone chargers back home, and they promptly got one for us. Also, the day we were leaving, it was my sister's birthday, and for breakfast they baked her a cake, and sang her happy birthday. They were so warm, and hospitable, they really made us part of the family. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. When we had tours, they would arrange for the busses to pick us up at the hotel, and check the times, and make sure everything was in place. And if you're into exercising during vacation, they had an amazing gym with personal trainer at hand.

The complimentary breakfast was fabulous. We loved the Omlette Chef, he was a great guy, and not to mention, extremely talented. They gave good recommendations too, and my mother would just stop to chat with the front desk before we left each day, because the staff was so friendly.

Long review, i know, but there is so much more. I absolutely loved Rome and St. Regis. I hope to go back someday, hopefully stay there again, even though it is quite expensive. It was such a wonderful experience, I would recommend it, even if for just one night.

• Stayed February 2006
14 Thank zaina j
Reviewed March 28, 2006

My husband & I have just returned from a three day break at the St Regis. What a WONDERFUL hotel! The staff were excellent, courteous, and genuinely friendly. The hotel itself is pristine and very sumptuous with a great luxury feeling. Our room, a standard deluxe was plenty big enough with a huge bathroom, fantastic large bed, superior bedlinen and very quiet. On our first night, we were sent a bottle of champagne and a huge bowl of strawberries to our room, compliments of the hotel as we were celebrating an occasion. A VERY NICE TOUCH. The concierge were fantastic and recommended restaraunts and and places of interest, all recommendations were superb. The food is excellent although pricey - but you get what you pay for. The location is great and very handy for the METRO and busses. Overall, we had a wonderful stay at the St Regis and would definitely return...

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed March 22, 2006

We've had three wonderful stays at the St. Regis Rome and can not say enough about how wonderful this property is.

The rooms and suites are lovely with quality furnishings, great beds and quality linens. Be certain to reserve a room on their butler floor. The butlers are incredible and really take care of all special needs. During our most recent stays we requested that the butler have a tailor come to our room for some alterations, repair a Gucci leather bag and locate an inexpensive international calling card. All tasks were done immediately and with genuine enthusiasm.

The staff at the St. Regis are flawless. The service is delivered professionally and with a warm attitude. There is no haughtiness in this hotel although it is extremely elegant and formal in feeling. The service delivery is of an extremely high level - more like you would find in Asia instead of Italy.

The concierge staff know the city exceptionally well and handle dining and tour requests with immediate efficiency. They are adept at selecting choices that fit your budget and personality.

The suites at the St. Regis come in two forms - Junior Suites and Ambassador Suites. As a Starwood Preferred Guest platinum they will upgrade to these suites if you book a high enough category room and request an upgrade at the time of booking. If the suites are available upon check-in, they will upgrade. They are very beautiful decorated in "old world" Empire or Renaissance style blend. The only complaint is that the television channel selection is poor and the furniture, although beautiful, is not very comfortable.

The buffest breakfast served in the lobby is delicious and bountiful. The lobby is the most beautiful of any hotel in room. It's an incredible way to start the day.

This hotel is by far and away the best hotel in Rome if you can afford it. Value for money is excellent when taking into consideration the luxuriousness and quality of service offered.

11 Thank Darrell S
Reviewed March 10, 2006

I arrived with my partner at midday to Rome. The hotel is very close to the train station although the walk is interesting! across a bus terminal, across roads and car parks! have a coffee before you leave the train as Italian drivers are truly mad!The train Leonardo express is so easy from the airport- clean and quiet,takes only 20 mins.
Hotel is amazing,staff very well presented, concierge extremley helpful. Good advice for eating out. Room fantastic - we had a basic double but probably made the holiday. Decor is beautiful - painted murial above bed and luxurious finishings and furniture. Hermes toiletries and chocolates!
Hotel walking distance to everything. Taxi rank outside. Bottom line - Expensive, brilliant service but overpriced if you order in. The decor is classic and now a few years old but still impressive. Certainly a wow! Wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Singapore
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My wife and I just returned from Rome, spending 8 days at the St. Regis Grand where we celebrated our 10th year wedding anniversary.

I'll break up my review into 4 parts:

1. Room Quality
2. Location
3. Service
4. Context - what our hotels do we judge our experience against

I. ROOM QUALITY
We stayed in a deluxe room on the 3rd floor (unfortunately not facing the Piazza). The room, by our experience in European hotels was large with a good, firm king size bed as well as a good size sitting area with a couch, coffee table, and a large writing desk. Bed linens were very nice (according to my wife). Decor was a bit ostentatious for our taste, but seemed to fit the period and style of the hotel. Lighting was a bit dim in the room, but wasn't a big deal. We received fresh fruit each day as well as Italian chocolates.

The bathroom was large, again in the context of our European experiences. The shower was a bit small, but the bathtub was a good size. Water pressure was good, but during a long shower the water temp would begin to alternate between hot and cold rather than a steady flow of warm. Again, in the context of our European hotel experiences, not a big deal.

II. LOCATION
The hotel is close to the main train station. Having read some concern about safety, etc. in the area, from our perspective, we did not feel unsafe at all at any time of the day around the hotel. On our first day, we explored the area around the hotel, including the area around the train station and, while crowded, didn't seem to be any different than other major metropolitan areas. Taxis were plentiful and had no problem understanding our poor attempts at Italian when we wanted to go back to the hotel (many know it as the Grand Hotel rather than the St. Regis or St. Regis Grand). Distance to major attractions (within Rome and ex-The Vatican) were 10-15 minutes of leisurely walking.

III. SERVICE
This is where I feel (in contrast to the reviews I read which led me to book the hotel) a bit let down. The service started off mixed with the attempt to get a hotel car to pick us up from the airport. It was easier to call the St. Regis reservation line in the US (which I did) than to book the car directly with the hotel concierge (First they insisted I had to fax them a request before they could act on it. Then they said they would settle for an email as they needed written confirmation of the request). When we arrived, there was no doorman to help us or the driver with the luggage until the luggage was out of the car (despite our 6-7 am arrival time and no visible guests out front or in the lobby). Similarly, each morning we left the hotel, on occassions we needed a cab (e.g. to the Vatican), the doorman neither acknowledged us, nor offered to help us get a cab, nor offered to ensure that the cab driver understood where we wanted to go (which on occassion was a problem).

This changed a bit when we finally got to the check-in desk where Helena checked us in and cheerfully and generously offered us the room early (we arrived at 7 am on a Sunday). In addition, she pointed out some places that we might want to go on a Sunday morning to people watch, have a coffee and have a good view of the city (which we did and thoroughly enjoyed). Each morning she was on duty and when we needed assistance from the front desk, she would greet me by name and appeared enthusiastic to help. Unfortunately, the service seemed to stop there.

My dealings with the concierge were broadly disappointing. From my initial attempts to book a car pickup from the airport to my departure where the concierge called me, hurrying me up to come down to check out (at 10 am!), interactions lacked any sense of interest in my needs as a guest. (Admittedly, the manager tried to explain that the call was really just to check up on me rather than to hurry me up, but both the tone and the language certainly didn't contain any indications of concern and rather seemed to encourage me to make my way downstairs.)

Most disappointing was a request which I called into the concierge for "something special" upon arrival as this was both our first trip to Rome and our 10th wedding anniversary which I reminded them again in my email requesting the car pick-up. To my disappointment, there was nothing special (unless a bowl of fruit each day is considered special) when we arrived and nothing special during the trip. Perhaps, it was presumptuous of me to have asked for it. However, it would have been nice to be told that it wasn't something they do so that I could arrange something myself.

IV. CONTEXT
Our judgements about rooms and service in particular were judged against our experiences of the same at our favorite hotels (below). We've also tried to take into account that rooms and room sizes/styles differ from country-to-country and region-to-region.

ASIA
Four Seasons Hotel (Singapore)
Four Seasons Hotel (Tokyo-Marunouchi)
Mandarin Oriental (Hong Kong)
Park Hyatt (Sydney)

US
St. Regis Hotel (New York)
Four Seasons Hotel (San Francisco)

UK/EUROPE
Dukes Hotel (London)
Four Seasons Hotel (Paris - Georges V)

OVERALL
I will forever remember our stays at the St. Regis Hotel in New York, not because the rooms are the best (they're not), nor because of its great location (which it has). Rather, I'll remember our stays there (and at all of our favorites) because each time, the staff seems to go out of their way when they don't need to to make us feel like we're the only guests in the hotel. Unfortunately, I expected this from the St. Regis Grand in Rome. Instead, I received a good room and a decent location with little of the warmth and thoughtfulness that characterizes our favorite hotels around the world.

• Stayed February 2006
50 Thank Merlion1
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Although it is now some time since we stayed at the Grand, reading some of the reviews posted here brought back very good memories. So, to add my weight to those who have posted before, this really is a noteworthy hotel.

From the moment we arrived (three hours before official check-in) to the moment we departed, the hotel just kept on impressing. That's not to say that everything was instantly and always perfect - but it is the mark of a truly professional operation when the inevitable hitches that affect us all are dealt with with such style and efficiency.

It's probably pointless talking about upgraded rooms and special gifts because I am a Platinum SPG Member. You might not be a cardholder or the hotel might be very full when you visit and an upgrade isn't available.

What you need to know is that the location is good, the standard of the public areas is exceptional, the staff are gracious but discreet, the decor in the guest rooms is opulent, the beds are extremely comfortable, the toiletries are top-notch and the hotel's restaurant (rated #1 in Rome by Zagat) is worthy of global recognition.

All in all, the hotel really is a perfect example of what a good, traditional-style city hotel should be. The fact that so many are so poor elevates this one from good to great however!

Finally, if you don't otherwise get the chance, do ask one of the staff to let you have a look at the 'Salone Ritz' - the hotel's main function room. I can't think of many other hotels I would recommend you inspecting the function rooms at - but this one really is beautiful.

I do hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did - and look forward to returning as much as we do.

• Stayed July 2005