2,118 results
All reviewsbutler serviceimperial roombeautiful hotelspg pointschampagne saberingconcierge deskbeautiful lobbyspanish stepsbreakfast buffetjunior suiteour honeymoonlobby areathe entire staffupon checktrain stationfive star hoteltrevi fountain
Reviewed March 10, 2006

I arrived with my partner at midday to Rome. The hotel is very close to the train station although the walk is interesting! across a bus terminal, across roads and car parks! have a coffee before you leave the train as Italian drivers are truly mad!The train Leonardo express is so easy from the airport- clean and quiet,takes only 20 mins.
Hotel is amazing,staff very well presented, concierge extremley helpful. Good advice for eating out. Room fantastic - we had a basic double but probably made the holiday. Decor is beautiful - painted murial above bed and luxurious finishings and furniture. Hermes toiletries and chocolates!
Hotel walking distance to everything. Taxi rank outside. Bottom line - Expensive, brilliant service but overpriced if you order in. The decor is classic and now a few years old but still impressive. Certainly a wow! Wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2006
16  Thank Seaside6616
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My wife and I just returned from Rome, spending 8 days at the St. Regis Grand where we celebrated our 10th year wedding anniversary.

I'll break up my review into 4 parts:

1. Room Quality
2. Location
3. Service
4. Context - what our hotels do we judge our experience against

I. ROOM QUALITY
We stayed in a deluxe room on the 3rd floor (unfortunately not facing the Piazza). The room, by our experience in European hotels was large with a good, firm king size bed as well as a good size sitting area with a couch, coffee table, and a large writing desk. Bed linens were very nice (according to my wife). Decor was a bit ostentatious for our taste, but seemed to fit the period and style of the hotel. Lighting was a bit dim in the room, but wasn't a big deal. We received fresh fruit each day as well as Italian chocolates.

The bathroom was large, again in the context of our European experiences. The shower was a bit small, but the bathtub was a good size. Water pressure was good, but during a long shower the water temp would begin to alternate between hot and cold rather than a steady flow of warm. Again, in the context of our European hotel experiences, not a big deal.

II. LOCATION
The hotel is close to the main train station. Having read some concern about safety, etc. in the area, from our perspective, we did not feel unsafe at all at any time of the day around the hotel. On our first day, we explored the area around the hotel, including the area around the train station and, while crowded, didn't seem to be any different than other major metropolitan areas. Taxis were plentiful and had no problem understanding our poor attempts at Italian when we wanted to go back to the hotel (many know it as the Grand Hotel rather than the St. Regis or St. Regis Grand). Distance to major attractions (within Rome and ex-The Vatican) were 10-15 minutes of leisurely walking.

III. SERVICE
This is where I feel (in contrast to the reviews I read which led me to book the hotel) a bit let down. The service started off mixed with the attempt to get a hotel car to pick us up from the airport. It was easier to call the St. Regis reservation line in the US (which I did) than to book the car directly with the hotel concierge (First they insisted I had to fax them a request before they could act on it. Then they said they would settle for an email as they needed written confirmation of the request). When we arrived, there was no doorman to help us or the driver with the luggage until the luggage was out of the car (despite our 6-7 am arrival time and no visible guests out front or in the lobby). Similarly, each morning we left the hotel, on occassions we needed a cab (e.g. to the Vatican), the doorman neither acknowledged us, nor offered to help us get a cab, nor offered to ensure that the cab driver understood where we wanted to go (which on occassion was a problem).

This changed a bit when we finally got to the check-in desk where Helena checked us in and cheerfully and generously offered us the room early (we arrived at 7 am on a Sunday). In addition, she pointed out some places that we might want to go on a Sunday morning to people watch, have a coffee and have a good view of the city (which we did and thoroughly enjoyed). Each morning she was on duty and when we needed assistance from the front desk, she would greet me by name and appeared enthusiastic to help. Unfortunately, the service seemed to stop there.

My dealings with the concierge were broadly disappointing. From my initial attempts to book a car pickup from the airport to my departure where the concierge called me, hurrying me up to come down to check out (at 10 am!), interactions lacked any sense of interest in my needs as a guest. (Admittedly, the manager tried to explain that the call was really just to check up on me rather than to hurry me up, but both the tone and the language certainly didn't contain any indications of concern and rather seemed to encourage me to make my way downstairs.)

Most disappointing was a request which I called into the concierge for "something special" upon arrival as this was both our first trip to Rome and our 10th wedding anniversary which I reminded them again in my email requesting the car pick-up. To my disappointment, there was nothing special (unless a bowl of fruit each day is considered special) when we arrived and nothing special during the trip. Perhaps, it was presumptuous of me to have asked for it. However, it would have been nice to be told that it wasn't something they do so that I could arrange something myself.

IV. CONTEXT
Our judgements about rooms and service in particular were judged against our experiences of the same at our favorite hotels (below). We've also tried to take into account that rooms and room sizes/styles differ from country-to-country and region-to-region.

ASIA
Four Seasons Hotel (Singapore)
Four Seasons Hotel (Tokyo-Marunouchi)
Mandarin Oriental (Hong Kong)
Park Hyatt (Sydney)

US
St. Regis Hotel (New York)
Four Seasons Hotel (San Francisco)

UK/EUROPE
Dukes Hotel (London)
Four Seasons Hotel (Paris - Georges V)

OVERALL
I will forever remember our stays at the St. Regis Hotel in New York, not because the rooms are the best (they're not), nor because of its great location (which it has). Rather, I'll remember our stays there (and at all of our favorites) because each time, the staff seems to go out of their way when they don't need to to make us feel like we're the only guests in the hotel. Unfortunately, I expected this from the St. Regis Grand in Rome. Instead, I received a good room and a decent location with little of the warmth and thoughtfulness that characterizes our favorite hotels around the world.

• Stayed: February 2006
50  Thank Merlion1
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Although it is now some time since we stayed at the Grand, reading some of the reviews posted here brought back very good memories. So, to add my weight to those who have posted before, this really is a noteworthy hotel.

From the moment we arrived (three hours before official check-in) to the moment we departed, the hotel just kept on impressing. That's not to say that everything was instantly and always perfect - but it is the mark of a truly professional operation when the inevitable hitches that affect us all are dealt with with such style and efficiency.

It's probably pointless talking about upgraded rooms and special gifts because I am a Platinum SPG Member. You might not be a cardholder or the hotel might be very full when you visit and an upgrade isn't available.

What you need to know is that the location is good, the standard of the public areas is exceptional, the staff are gracious but discreet, the decor in the guest rooms is opulent, the beds are extremely comfortable, the toiletries are top-notch and the hotel's restaurant (rated #1 in Rome by Zagat) is worthy of global recognition.

All in all, the hotel really is a perfect example of what a good, traditional-style city hotel should be. The fact that so many are so poor elevates this one from good to great however!

Finally, if you don't otherwise get the chance, do ask one of the staff to let you have a look at the 'Salone Ritz' - the hotel's main function room. I can't think of many other hotels I would recommend you inspecting the function rooms at - but this one really is beautiful.

I do hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did - and look forward to returning as much as we do.

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank Sightsee26742
Reviewed February 22, 2006

We chose our hotel through tripadvisor - well, my wife did and when she told me she had booked three nights in the st regis i nearly killed her. This hotel is not the cheapest in Rome as you can imagine.
Anyway, grumpily I went along with it but was convinced that as we were not going to spend any time in the hotel it was a huge waste of cash.

Firstly I would advise that anyone who books, mention your SPG number at check in, this seemed to make a difference for us and we were bumped up to the imperial suite by the very friendly and courteous staff who then showed us to the Room. Given that we were in the centre of Rome the room was pleasingly large with a sofa and I began to mellow to the charms of the St Regis. The bed was huge and the view overlooked the piazza della republica - very nice.

Location wise the hotel is fantastic - 5 minutes from Termini - it really is worth getting a taxi when you have luggage although we were ripped off in ours, make sure they use the meter. The Coliseum is about 10-15 minutes walk as is the trevi fountain. Anywahere else jump in a taxi, its around 8 euro's to the vatican museum. The locale seemed fine to me, we had a late supper in a fantastic restarant and walked back about 11pm. Beautiful fountains, not a problem.

Vivendo, the attached restaurant is pricey however most definitely worth it. We had a valentines night dinner and the food was to die for. The bill came to around 130gbp but we were there for 3.5 hours, shifted our seats, asked to swap the starter to lobster (it was a special valentine night set menu and the starter was salmon) and basically made nuisances of ourselves and the staff didnt blink. The food was exceptional and of course the wines were perfectly matched, one of the best valentines day meals ive ever had - no, the best.

Overall this was money well spent as it really made a difference after a hard days touristy stuff to come back to that room. Breakfast was also not included for us and is bizarrely expensive (40 euros) and the room service seems a bit over the top price wise for room service, around 30-40 euro's pp for a basic meal. if you want a bite in the morning and dont want to walk across the road to the deli order the 13 Euro basic breakfast. Its tea, juice and pastries, and one was more than enough for us two to get started on the day and im no small lad. Otherwise there are a couple of nice restaurants in the area around bernini square.

Rome itself is fantastic and we didnt have enough time to take it in - watch for the traffic in front of the hotel as you literally have to force your way across and close your eyes in taxi rides. Id like to try parachuting this simmer and I feel the taxi rides prepared me for the adrenalin rush.

Overall the St Regis is expensive - but you definitely get what you pay for. If youre the type of person who needs a bit of relaxation after a slog in top notch surroundings stay here. If a hotel room is just somewhere to kip inbetween sight seeing you'd probably be better off elsewhere.

Grazie st regis!

• Stayed: February 2006
21  Thank thumpa28
Reviewed February 11, 2006

we had prebooked and prepaod our reservation throuh st regis usa when we arrived 12/26 they had no rexervation for us if i could not provide a copy of the onfirmation i dont thimk we would of had a room.
the room was small even though we had booked a king and paid for it. upon chekout they required us to pay again because they still could not find record of our reservation. we have stayed in many five star hotels this was not one of them

• Stayed: January 2006