“Ultra-Stylish Grand Dame Hotel”
Review of The St. Regis Rome

The St. Regis Rome
Ranked #82 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Leeds
“Ultra-Stylish Grand Dame Hotel”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I had a four day visit to Rome in Mid-February, and had four wonderful days at this hotel. You have to appreciate (when booking) the sheer history of this building, and that every square inch of it may not be as ultra-pristine as say the George V in Paris, but, this is reflected in the fact that it's not E800/night like the Cinq!!!! When I walked into the Main Lobby with sunken marble floor, it reminded me of the Ritz in London, therefore low and behold I later learnt that it was in fact Ceszar Ritz that originally designed the commissioned build of the Hotel in the late 1800's, so this came as no great surprise. The service in the hotel is amazing, and the staff have a genuine warm sincerity which lacks in some 5*Deluxe establishments, unless you are a celeb of course!!!! The rooms were typically in-keeping with what you would expect from a Grand Dame Hotel, and all 5*Deluxe "in-room" amenities as standard. The concierge Staff bent over backwards to help with Restaurant bookings, Opera Tickets, Transport etc., and housekeeping responded like lightening to urgent Laundry and pressing requests. Our Room typically "Gold and Red Romanesque/Empire" decorated was beautiful and immaculately "shabby chic", and looked onto some neo-classical side buildings, which on a night were illuminated and added a romantic feel to the room. The bar is very attractive, and whilst the drinks/food are expensive, they are no dearer than neighboring top-flight Bars, clubs and Restaurants. My general overview is that this hotel represents excellent value, is highly respected in Rome as being one of "thee" addresses, (whilst we were in the Bar we overheard a Royal Ambassadors' Representative planning an event), and its locality to exclusive V.Veneto is very central to everything that happening. If this Hotel always bore the "Crown", its certainly not slipped yet!!! A lovely experience and excellent value.

4 Thank drewLeeds
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are delighted by your review and by your recognition of the unique lineage of this historical building, created by the genius of Cesar Ritz in 1894. Today, the distinctive level of hospitality of the St. Regis brand aims to enhance the extraordinary patrimony and richness of authentic treasures from the grand marble staircase to the first, original lift by creating memorable experiences for our guests in a distinctive environment.
Thank you for your most encouraging comments.
The Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights while roaming around Rome taking in the sights. The staff couldn't have been friendlier and the service exceptional. The hotel is beautiful and our room was perfectly kept. It was a pleasure waking up each morning and returning at night knowing we were headed for comfort. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the circle, provides for nice views around the clock.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank beachtravelerrrr
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, General Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the St.Regis Rome on Trip Advisor and the very pleasing comments you made. It is a gratification for the whole team to read that we could make your time in Rome memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Thank you again.

Kindest regards,

New York, NY
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I normally don't take the time to write reviews on Tripadvisor but I frequent the site and should have used it during this trip to Rome. Unfortunately my wife was set on staying at the St. Regis so I disregarded the low rating on Tripadvisor and booked our stay. In short, the hotel was once a grand hotel but has since seen it's prime. The rooms were large but old. The service was non-existant and everything you touch cost double of what you would pay on the street, this is what I like to call movie theater pricing.

Our bad experience started when we checked in. The desk told me that it would be an additional $100 euro per night because I reserved as a single occupancy and was with my wife. I fully understand that this is a policy and the guy at the desk couldn't really do anything about it but I've travelled all over the world and have never had to pay extra for when my wife travels with me. It's not like they are providing any additional service (or any service at all). We couldn't just walk out so we went to the room and immediatly started looking for another room. Luckily for me there were rooms available at the Albergo Del Senato (the second best hotel in Rome as per Tripadvisor at the time of this review). We immediatley reserved those rooms and checked out of the St. Regis.

Some other points to note: 1. the new hotel was twice as nice, better location and half the price; 2. the St. Regis charged for everything including $25 for internet service, the new hotel was free; 3. The location of the St. Regis is not so nice, you are near the train station and it feels very industrial; 4. Price: I know I said this but even with the "special" rate that the St. Regis was giving me the new hotel was less than half of the price. We paid over $500 for one night at the St. Regis (with taxes and internet charges) and only $230 per night at the Albergo del Senato with free internet and amazing service.

I did recieve an email from one of the managers after my stay where he appologized and referred to their pricing policy. My response to that is that I really don't care about your policy. If you have an inferior product at an unreasonable price you will not remain in business.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
14 Thank Julian L
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.
We understand that you may not bother about prices policy but, since you selected a Corporate rate plan, which was contracted with your Company and subject to specific conditions (one of which is single/double occupancy at different rates), it would not have been professional from our part not to comply with the agreed contract terms. However, we are pleased to say that the St. Regis Hotel offers a wide range of alternative rates and special offers on our website, which do not change based on the number of guests.
The excellent reviews from the Trip Advisor community just allowed us to be recognized as Travelers’ choice Winner 2012 in Italy; therefore we hope that you will give us another opportunity to experience our hotel’s hospitality in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had a nice stay at the St. Regis, thanks to the lovely staff and decent accommodations. However, I'm sorry to say that overall, this hotel is not worthy of the St. Regis brand. They should downgrade it to a Sheraton or something until they can renovate. Now for the good and the bad...

The good: the staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating, as you would expect. Great bartenders who actually know how to make a good cocktail. We were welcomed warmly by the bellmen and front desk staff, who were all lovely. The concierge was very sweet and helpful and generally quite knowledgeable, although we noticed they are not a great authority on restaurants (told us a fish restaurant was for meat and pasta, not fish, and also that it was closed on Sunday, when in fact it is one of the few restaurants open on Sunday). The property is fairly grand, and you can tell it was once a very fine hotel.

The not-so-good: I experienced two small glitches in the service. First, on the morning we checked in, I was told I could relax in the lobby while my room was being prepared. No problem: I went and settled down in the lobby restaurant to have some breakfast and check my email while I waited. I found I couldn't sign on to the internet because I had not yet been assigned a room number, but when I approached the hostess, she was not helpful and told me I had to speak to the front desk. This was awkward since I had just sat down to eat and had sort of settled down at my table with my things. I had to abandon my belongings at the table and go over to the front desk, where they kindly gave me a card with a code that I could use to sign on. It wasn't a big deal, but not really something that should happen at a St. Regis. The hostess should have given me a card or sent someone to get one from the front desk. They were not at all busy, so there is no reason someone could not have helped with this. The second issue was the housekeeping staff. While they did an adequate job cleaning, there was no attention to detail. They cleaned and replaced the towels and made the bed, but didn't retie the robes, organize our toiletries, or straighten up the room much -- it seemed like they kind of just blew through. They left water and fruit for us on the first day, but not after that. Very inconsistent.

The bad(ish): The hotel has really seen better days. Nothing about this hotel gleams, and the furnishings in the lobby are really quite worn and faded. The paint on the walls is scuffed and chipped in places, the carpet looks old and kind of dingy, etc. The hotel is just badly in need of a complete renovation. We also found the bed to be not very comfortable. Having stayed at other St. Regis properties and been suitably impressed, I found this one to be quite a contrast. If you are expecting a typical modern luxury hotel, I recommend you adjust your expectations. This property may have met that description many years ago, but it does not today. While I truly had a wonderful trip and appreciate the kind staff at the St. Regis, I probably would not go back until they renovate.

1 Thank kate0614
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, General Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience and we are grateful for both the positive comments as well as the less appreciative ones. We will address the operational issues immediately as they do not represent a fair reflection of our usually high standard of customer care and attention to details. We also respect your opinion about renovation and we wish to inform you that in this respect various projects are underway. We have just completed a new Couture suite and the Vivendo dining restaurant has re-opened last week with a brand new entrance and contemporary pieces of art, contributing to a unique culinary and vision experience.
We hope that you will reconsider your decision and give us the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future so that we may show you the result of our efforts and continuous improvements,
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the St. Regis (stayed 2/13/2012-2/19/2012) and have nothing but GREAT things to say. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous! The hotel staff was wonderful. The concierge was extremely helpful in making restaurant recommendations/reservations as well as ways to avoid lengthy lines at some of the most popular attractions. Housekeeping service was GREAT. Our room was great (had a slight problem with the satellite TV going out at times during late night television - but no big deal)! The location was superb! Some other reviews mention not close to much and that you have to do a lot of walking - this is inaccurate. It is in close proximity to everything. No matter where you stay you are going to have to walk. Those who mention Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain - you're only going to see those areas once during your stay; therefore, even if you look for a hotel close to those attractions, you will be walking to others. My husband and I walked everywhere - even to the Colosseum and Roman Forum (that is quite a hike, but we needed to burn off the calories we took in daily from all the fresh pasta, bread and cheese...LOL)! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Rome!!! Thank you to all of the WONDERFUL staff at the St. Regis for making our trip a positive trip!!!! Joe and Laurie V

Room Tip: Request a view of the fountain
Dear Guest,
A most grateful and sincere GRAZIE from all the staff of the St. Regis Hotel, Rome for this wonderful feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed the location of the St. Regis which is conveniently equidistant from the most important sites, not to mention that we are neighbor to the Residence of the Italian President of the Republic, the Palazzo del Quirinale with the adjoining Scuderie, featuring exhibitions throughout the year.
We would be honored to welcome you back on your next visit to Rome and ready to share some more recommendations about the many hidden treasures of this extraordinary city.
Once again, thank you.
milan, italy
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Service is always perfect - rooms are nice, classic style, often with little free amenities (chocolates, fruits, water) a bit "oldish" but good quality - overall value for money - I have become frequent and satisfied customer - not extremely fancy but hospitable -Christmas decorations make it a very cozy place.Restaurants are good. I recommend it

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for electing the St. Regis as your preferred hotel in Rome. We are honored by your service recognition and also by your comments about the amenities program. We will personalize it with pleasure if you would be kind enough to indicate your own preferences upon your next reservation.
We all look forward to your return visit.
Virginia
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Second stay after 10 years. First time had a HUGE room, that left an extremely favorable impression. This time, had, what I believe to be the smallest room in the hotel with construction ongoing in the hotel, right next door. (To be fair, I was paying a discounted rate).

Even a small room does not hide the grandeur of the hotel. Old world elegance throughout and old world service and ambience. If you stay, be sure to secure a better room, as your experience will be enhanced and you will appreciate the hotel much more.

Good location for sight -seeing with the metro within walking distance, and you can even walk to the train station, if you so desire.

This is a good selection for Rome, as it is befitting the style of the city, in it's old world charms. I'd go for a third go around, if in Rome again, but only with an upper end room!

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HopesandDreams
Gen_Mgr_StRegisRome, Manager at The St. Regis Rome, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are delighted that, despite your room’s dimensions, you enjoyed once again the discreet atmosphere, the attentive service and the fine dining facilities of the St. Regis Hotel. Our executive chef takes great pride in selecting only fresh ingredients to create local specialties blended with innovative touches and he and his team would like to thank you for your appreciation.
It will be our privilege to welcome you back for the third time whenever your plans bring you back to Rome; please do not hesitate to contact the Executive Office and we will arrange a truly memorable experience.
Sincerely yours,