“Excellent hotel”
Review of Hotel Napoleon

Hotel Napoleon
Ranked #79 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean and the room was comfortable. The complementary breakfast was awesome there were food of all types. The bar and restaurant at the hotel was very good and had very reasonable prices. The metro was right outside and that made it very easy to get to all the major sites. This was a very beautiful hotel and the staff was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arod1022

Reviewed July 22, 2013

After looking at many hotels before our 4 night trip to Rome, I booked the Napoleon Hotel in Rome. The primary reasons I booked it were; The positive reviews on trip advisor, the described location and the price (for a hotel of this standard, it was a very reasonable and also included breakfast).

The room we had was lovely, although not the largest hotel room I have stayed in it was more than adequate and felt quite spacious. The room was very nicely decorated and featured a double bed, safe, tv, mini-bar, wardrobe and bathroom with shower. The bed was very comfy and the room was cleaned every day to a very high standard. As an added bonus, the room we were in had a balcony which meant we could sit out on an evening (it is a city hotel though, facing an inner courtyard so not a view so to speak). I had requested this from the hotel and was pleased that they had been so accommodating. Also, the room had some fruit sweets in on arrival! The bed was very comfortable and everything worked in the room. Nothing to complain about! Very pleased that we were able to get Wi-Fi in the room - I'm not sure if all the rooms receive the Wi-Fi but it really made the hotel for us as we researched where to go online. I wish all hotels had easy wifi!

The location of the hotel is great - the closest metro stop 'Vittorio Emmanuel' is literally on the door step. If you are coming from the airport, jump on at Termini and it's the first stop. Make a note of which entrance you walk in the metro from the hotel, if you get off at the wrong side, you have to walk around the park. A few reviewers have been cautious of the area - it is visually not the nicest area surrounding the hotel and I perhaps wouldn't want to walk alone around there but...I wouldn't in many other cities either! If you don't like the area, it is not a problem as you can so easily jump on the metro. It is about a 20-25 minute walk to the coliseum. I'd recommend the walk but use a map as there aren't signposts.

The hotel itself is lovely, although the street outside is not so appealing, when you get inside it's brilliant. Clean, well decorated, a lovely large reception area on the first floor (with piano, bar area, tv, restaurant area and computer). We didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on there but breakfast was good - big selection of food and no complaints. (Note the waitresses/waiters bring you orange if you ask). Couldn't fault the staff all were very helpful and pleasant, a lovely porter even brought up our luggage for us too!

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. The cost was very reasonable and delivered a lot for a hotel which is in central Rome, less than 30 minutes walk from the coliseum. Hotels in Rome are expensive and for this hotel to deliver the standard it does and the rate we paid is brilliant - I can't think what else I would have wanted. If I were to return to Rome again I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We only stayed at this hotel for one night but I really feel compelled to write a review due to our very positive experience.

We stayed at this hotel because we could reach it easily on foot from Termini and after a long flight we didn't want to spend ours lugging our luggage, especially with my mum and disabled friend with us. Unfortunately, it was a little further to walk than expected but after reaching there I now know I could have taken a more direct route instead of travelling down the bigger roads that were known to me. This was my error, not the hotels.

Now I need to appologise to the lovely man who greeted us because I have lost his card, but he was warm, helpful and efficient and also organized our transfer to the airport the following morning. Not only this, but as it was my mum's and friend's first visit to Rome, he also arranged for the driver to take in the sights of Rome on the way (more on that later).

Our rooms were charming, not too small for Rome standards and exceptionally clean. The Napoleon is set up in such a way that a whole floor is dedicated to a large lounge are for relaxing, a bar and restaurant. This area was a highlight and with exhaustion set in, we plonked ourselves there and didn't move. We enjoyed a few hours of drinks and chatting to the various guests who were coming and going and shared lots of laughs and experiences. This area of the hotel is what sets it aside from many others we have stayed in and really compels you to return. I am not sure when we will be next in Rome, but this hotel is definitely our top choice for a return visit.
I also need to appologise to our driver who took us to the airport because I have also misplaced his card. If I find them I will definitely write another review specific to him and the hotel worker who checked us in. Anyway, he picked us up in his luxurious Merc van and he drove us to many of the highlights of this great city and allowed us time to stop and take photos as well as filling us in on many of the details. Of course we paid for this extra service but it was only a small amount on top of our transfer fee and something that was well worth it. From what I remember, we gave the driver a well deserved tip because we believed what he charged us was well beneath the value. My mum had less than 24 hours in Rome and she will never have an overseas trip again so she can come home knowing that she got to see something of this amazing city.

One more things, breakfast was great.

Well done Napoleon Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

-great location within walking distance for lots of sightseeing
-excellent service/assistance - front desk, bar, dining room
-comfortable room with only negative being the narrow tub/shower
-great food & friendly servers in dining room - willingly accommodated special dietary request

Room Tip: A room on the "first level" meant not having to use the small elevator constantly.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Let me preface my review by saying that any negative comments I leave about this hotel will be discredited by the staff member who responds to these reviews. I write my reviews honestly and from a non-biased standpoint. I am not trying to decrease this hotel's business, I am merely informing travelers of what to expect from hotels. That being said we were a little disappointed in this hotel. The staff seemed friendly, but we did not have much interaction with them. They did speak very good English. Our room was bigger than the one in Paris, but much more dated. The mattress was hard and slightly uncomfortable. The AC did work and ran the whole time we were there, but kept us only kept us comfortable instead of cool. The shower was VERY small! If you are overweight at all, you may have a hard time fitting in this shower. Our floor was fairly quiet but we slept in one day and were awoken by the housekeeping staff talking and laughing in the hallway. Not a major problem, that's what we get for sleeping in. The "courtyard" they advertise leaves much to be desired. I couldn't see the ground from our window but did get a lovely view of someone's undergarments hanging on a clothesline. The restaurant was closed while we were there but I did order lasagna from the bar menu. Unfortunately it was the WORST lasagna I have ever eaten in my whole life. The pasta tasted old and the beef had a bad flavor. Breakfast was a little better, but I am picky and pregnant so I had a hard time finding things to eat. I couldn't have the cheeses or lunch meats and the eggs are undercooked so I was afraid to try them. One good thing about this hotel was the fact that it is literally 5 steps from the metro entrance. Very nice after a long, hot day in Rome! If we ever went to Rome again we probably would not stay here. Please take this review with a grain of salt and try to ignore the rebuttal that will no doubt follow.

Room Tip: We chose the cheapest (and probably smallest) room. We saw a few others as we were walking down the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ward103
napoleonRoma, Manager at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear ward103,
I am Roberto Cioce, manager of the hotel Napoleon and I personally reply to the reviews of the hotel Napoleon. I am sorry if I gave sometime the impression that I was attempting to discredit some review. I apologize with you and all the Trip Advisor users who could get the same impression. We always keep remarks and criticism in the highest consideration and we always do our best efforts to improve our services and facilities, to avoid similar problems in the future. Just few reviews, some time, include some misleading information, and, some time, the description of the inconvenience is not real. In that case, I think I have to tell the story in the most clear and honest way. Maybe that, after such a long time that my family and I run the hotel Napoleon, the passion with which we manage the hotel, could push me to use unpleasant tones, I wish to assure you my best attention for the future. Getting into your review, I need to apologize for some inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I have to say that some of them could be easily solvable, if you asked our staff: the shower, the eggs, the mattress. These aspects of the stay concerns personal preferences and personal requirements. We are always happy to satisfy our Guests and welcome their requests. Some shower is small, but if for you it was an inconvenience, we could probably offer you a room with a larger shower, we could prepare eggs more cooked ( they look liquid when they come out of the kitchen and put in the food warmer, but after few minutes they become dry, and are usually well cooked), if you would prefer a softer mattress, we could change it in a few minutes. Regarding the food and the restaurant I have to apologize. We were in a emergency for a few weeks, the quality of food was not the usual one. Our Chef was out of the hotel for a home incident, now is back again and things run very well. One note about the courtyard. I wonder where you found any advertisement regarding the courtyards. We simply inform our Guests, as I did also in some previews response, that our rooms face onto internal courtyards. They are silent and calm, but the nice view is not one of our feature. On the other hand, Rome is a noisy city, and just few hotels in the centre of Rome can boast some room with a nice view, ( generally very expensive) . In the meanwhile the view is often just the view of the opposite building, and even the double glazing cannot warrant a good quality of sleep. Maybe you will not have “a lovely view of someone's undergarments hanging on a clothesline” but at the hotel Napoleon you could also sleep with window open, without being bothered by any noise of the city. A feature almost unique in the centre of Rome. However I have to apologize for the noise coming from the hallway, in spite of the soundproof doors. I already required more attention by the staff. In conclusion I wish to thank you for your remarks and criticism, part of which could be avoidable, but very reasonable. We are already working to do better in the future. I think that if you would give us a further chance, I am confident that you could fully enjoy your stay, and I would be happy to welcome you again at the hotel Napoleon. With my kindest regards
Roberto Cioce
hotelier

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I travelled to Rome with my wife and twin 10 yr old boys. This hotel is unique. It takes a bit of getting use to in that you enter a very small lobby. However, once upstairs you find a very relaxing, very clean hotel where the food is very good and the staff are very helpful. The concierge is excellent and will point you to good local restaurants, It is walking distance to the Coluseum and to Termini where you can jump on a hop on hop off bus for 48 hrs for 20 euros with kids free. The easiest way to see Rome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I read all of these reviews before booking this hotel for our 2 night stay in Rome. We stayed at Napolean Hotel with high hopes, but I personally was very let-down. After reading them again, I am shocked and sort of disappointed that I listened.

My husband and I are young and when traveling there are a few important factors we look for such as the location of the hotel to main tourist attractions as well as the surrounding restaurants and bars that we can visit close-by after a long day of sight-seeing and touring. And secondly, the appearance of the hotel and whether or not it is well maintained and updated is also a must!

After reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was left with high hopes that Napoleon Hotel was going to be a wonderful pick. Based on what I read, I was convinced that the hotel would be a great part of Rome where we could walk out the door and immediately start walking toward some main sights, hopping from store to store, café to café, etc. But I personally was very let down. First of all, the location of the hotel is decent if seeking proximity to the train station and the Metro to the main attractions (the Metro stop was literally out the door of the hotel). You could walk to places such as the Colosseum, and Roman Forum, etc. It’d be a bit longer than the Metro though. However, I was very disappointed in the surrounding area aside from the touring spots. First of all, the surrounding area was very dingy, dirty, and had no appeal whatsoever. I did not feel very safe in this area. I felt like we were constantly being looked at and preyed upon. It was very dirty, and not an area for tourists. There were no good areas to shop, or to dine after a long day of sight-seeing. My husband and I had to try to hail a cab to get to some of the more exciting night life areas in Rome to meet up with friends at the local bars and restaurants. I will also mention that one morning it took us so long to hail a cab that we actually gave up and decided to walk to our destination. We quickly realized that the area of the hotel was less than ideal for what we were seeking.

Secondly, the appearance of the hotel is fair/decent. I had no problem with the room we stayed in. It wasn’t by any means a modern choice, but it was clean, and everything worked just fine. The showers could be a bit bigger – for tall people, such as my husband and I it was quite frustrating to shower, but we made do. One thing I will mention is that I did not feel a warm welcoming from the staff when we arrived to check in. I found that some of the staff (not all) at the desk were slightly aloof, and not very personable. The breakfast in the morning was nice, and the staff was much friendlier.

I guess overall, I survived Napolean Hotel, but I wish we would have stayed somewhere closer to the city center, as well as a place that had more appeal. I was less than impressed and will remember for the next time, if we ever make it back to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Roberto C, Owner at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear kaaatie 42,
I am sorry that you did not like the hotel Napoleon. There is not any hotel that can perfectly fit the requirements of every traveler in the world. It is a matter of preferences, of taste, of personal needs. I think that Trip Advisor is unique in providing information from people who had a personal experience. Reading calmly the reviews regarding every hotel in the world you can get all the necessary information about their features , style, character, atmosphere, facilities. But it is always a matter of taste. Reading carefully your review I understand that the major issue you disliked was the location, apart some minor inconvenience. One note about the shower. Some of our showers are a little bit small, but we are always happy to satisfy our Guests’ requirements. If you asked us for a room with a large shower we certainly could find a solution, if not on that day, at least on the next one. About the location I think that really it is a matter of taste and, let me say, of fairly, superficial impression. The arcades into which the hotel entry faces, are silent and calm during the night, there is not night life and no bars are open until late. That is true. The reason is simple. Differently than other areas of the center of Rome, the buildings around Piazza Vittorio are still owned by residents, who does not allow any activity under the arcades ( part of the real estate), that can bother their quiet and sleep. Often the residents are aged people, and that is more than understandable. But, few hundred meters from the hotel, you can find Rione Monti, that, as I wrote in some previous review, is one of the more alive for the night life in Rome, with a lot of pubs, wine bars, icecreams, and so on. The best feature of the area around the hotel is the number of good restaurants, offering the best of the Roman cookery at reasonable and honest prices. Not “ traps for tourist “ as a previous reviewer writes. Just reading some recent reviews on this page, which point out this good aspect of the area, I have to say that your judgment, for my opinion, is misleading. One final consideration, that goes further this review, but starts from a nice conversation I had just yesterday evening with some lovely Guests at the bar of the hotel. Many places in the world, nowadays, are losing their identity. It happens that you can be in a square of Los Angeles, London, Paris, and you do not know where you are. Of course buildings are different, architectural prospectives are different, but, however, there is something which makes the scenery very similar, which makes the atmosphere homogeneous. Maybe the names and the signs of the shops, of the fast-foods, the banks, the shops of souvenirs,( all coming from the same country …) . Well, staying in these areas of the towns, for my opinion, could be also funny, but I do not know if it is worth of a long travel. You could spend one evening in some place of your own town and having the same experience. The good thing of the Esquilino, is that it still has its own identity, its own character. It is safe, calm, but is different, has its features. The old bakery, the shops still selling the old hat “ Borsalino” , but also the modern winery, offering an unbelievable selection of rare labels … In a mix of different cultures and races that live in peace and contribute to make the experience of a travel unique and significant. But it is a matter of personal preferences, fortunately very much shared by the Trip Advisor users. I hope you would keep my comment in some consideration and give us the opportunity of welcoming you again, in the future, maybe with different expectations. As usual I thank all the Trip Advisor users who had the patience of reading such a long response. With my kindest regards
Roberto Cioce,