“A great affordable stay in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Napoleon

Hotel Napoleon
Ranked #70 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
“A great affordable stay in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is clean and beatiful, you can't tell it's 50 years old.
Rooms are very nice and stuff is very friendly and helpful.
The breakfast has all you need to start your day in Rome.
The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the colloseo and 5 seconds of a metro station (the station is just at the hotel exit) so you can get anywhere you like in about 15 minutes top.

Just one word of warning: the hotel resturant is horrible so you should avoid it (we ate 1 dinner in it).

Bottom line, the hotel is great and I really recommend staying here.

napoleonRoma, Manager at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. What I mostly like is the word “affordable” that you use in the title. A I often repeat is that we work with passion, looking to confirm all the great reports wrote by our Guests. One short note about your remark regarding the restaurant. I use to taste personally our Chef’s job and to verify the service. Reports of the largest part of our Guests are also positive, and even the last review posted today ( I am writing on the 20th of May) confirms a nice appreciation of this service. Of course some inconvenient, due to particular circumstances, may always happen but we did not receive recently any specific complaint therefore I cannot provide any explication. On the other hand, it may due to a matter of preference. Italian cookery has some difference about the preparation of some dishes. I am however very glad that you enjoyed your stay and I would be delighted to welcome you again. Thanks again,
Kind regards
Hotelier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

This place was perfect. One stop down from the Termini and you are literally in front of it, very easy to get to with lots of luggage. They greeted us at the door and walked us to our room. Great size, and had air conditioning. The beds were kinda hard, but I'm sensitive and I think all of the bed in Italy are hard. I adjusted it with placing some blankets on it. Bathroom was just great, with a duvet, that we don't use because we're American.
The breakfast was amazing. Fresh pastries, hot chocolate, eggs and bacon, cakes, tea, it was endless and wonderful. The staff was amazing in the breakfast room, always making sure we had everything we wanted. Very clean and quiet, which I love in the morning, to eat to quiet. There main floor was like a renaissance painting, I felt so under dressed, beautiful couches and painting and sculptures everywhere.
And like I said the location was wonderful, we are walkers and walked all over Rome from it, except for the Vatican which we took the train for, the same train that is at the hotel door stop. It was wonderful. I highly recommend this place for Rome. You don't need to be in the center of everything, I think people forget that lugging luggage around to some obscure hotel next to the coliseum is not fun, I like to get it out of my hands immediately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MCOOL2010
napoleonRoma, Manager at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Nothing is better for an hotelier than switching on the pc on early morning and reading such a nice review, especially because it comes from an expert Trip Advisor Senior Contributor like you. We all are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel Napoleon and your holiday in Rome. One suggestion regarding the bed: we understand that beds are a matter of preference and we are able to modify our mattress accordingly with our Guests’ preference. In a few minutes, at least after the first night, we can prepare our beds and make them softer. Therefore, as I always recommend to my Guests, when you are at the hotel Napoleon, do not hesitate to ask if you have some requirement. Many times we can welcome your request in a few minutes and always we will do our best to make your stay the most comfortable and enjoyable, and, if some time that is not possible, we will keep your remarks in the highest consideration and we will plan some proper action for the future. That is why in the last years, in spite of the crisis, we level of satisfaction of our Guests increased so much, and even the number of positive reviews. If you will plan a stay in the future, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me, I will be happy to take personal care of your reservation and make your stay even more agreeable. Thanks again and kind regards,
hotelier
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hotel was lovely very near subway. Lovely lounge to chill out in the evenings. Very comfortable room nice and spacious. Lovely staff so helpful and friendly. Gave us a lot of advice and maps etc to help us get round easly. The food was really good as well

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just got back from four nights at the Napoleon. From the moment we entered the front door we were treated like friends. Roberto Lombardi, the front desk manager was very friendly, charming and efficient, a true credit to the hotel. Indeed, all the staff are very courteous and welcoming.
Our room was on the first floor, facing onto a courtyard/lightwell, so there was little in the way of noise to disturb the peace. The room was a little small but had all the things you would expect, including (a much welcomed) air conditioning unit!
The buffet breakfast is pretty good and fills you up for the rest of the morning.
The location is a little rough round the edges, but I felt completely safe and unhassled (unlike in the city centre where street sellers are a constant nuisance!) The Metro entrance is a few yards from the door and we used the Roma Passes we bought from the hotel to get into the further away attractions.
A wonderful home away from home and I would rebook if back in Rome in the future. Thank you to all the staff for a brilliant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Weaselbirch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We would reccommend the hotel to everyone because of the value for money and the excellent service from the staff. They are very friendly and welcoming and made our honeymoon an even better experience.

You are not in the best of areas but we chose it to be close to the colleseum and because of our budget. Saying that the metro is literally on the door step and amazingly fast. We're from london and it makes our tube service look like it runs at a snails pace. You can also walk from the termini to the hotel and vice versa and a bus will take you to all the major attractions but for us the metro was the only way to travel. Buy a roma pass as this will give you discount on attractions and gets you into two but look it up on the internet for more information.

The concierge was so friendly and helpful you could ask him for anything. We met the manager who was very friendly and came in one evening to meet all the hotel guests which we thought was a nice touch.

We would definately recommend this hotel and would probably come back here again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank lcmccue
napoleonRoma, Manager at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay especially because it was part of your honeymoon and we feel very much responsible when our Guests choose the hotel Napoleon for such memorable journeys. I am also happy because in the other reviews about your holiday in Rome you enjoyed your meals at Machiavelli and Danilo restaurants, that are also two of my preferred restaurants. They are so close to the hotel and offer to our Guests a real and nice experience of Roman cookery. This a feature that I wish to outline. Even if the location is not properly in one of the typical touristic areas of Rome, those you can see in a movie set, it offers many advantages, and one of them is that it nowadays is probably the best area for eating well in Rome, and many Romans use to spend their evening here. Therefore do not hesitate to ask me or our Concierge for some suggestion for a good restaurant, then you will discover that they are just round the corner, and reasonably priced. But do not forget to spend some evening at the Rione Monti, few hundred meters from the hotel: wine bars, ice cream shops, pubs are open till late in the evening, therefore our Guests can enjoy some “movida “, without being disturbed by noise when back in the hotel … . In conclusion, I wish to thank you once again for your appreciation and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again, we will do our best to make even your next stay very much enjoyable. Kind regards
hotelier
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Europe (visiting on our honeymoon) and Hotel Napoleon was our home away from home. As soon as we checked in from our long day of travel we were greeted by our first names and were just so welcomed with enthusiasm! The staff went above and beyond our expectations to provide the level of service you rarely find elsewhere. They were able to make many recommendations for us, answering the many questions we had, provided maps and routes to get to the major sites and Roberto, the manager, called in dinner reservations for us at one of his favorite restaraunts (arguably the best meal we had throughout our entire trip in Europe) and even escorted us!!! Not to mention, the hotel was very clean, comfortable and functional. Our room was spacious and provided a relaxing environment for us to wind down after a loonggg day in Rome (bathroom was modern, and bed was cozy)!. The breakfast was outstanding and such a great way to start the day, and the internet was a big plus and rare to find a hotel that provides that at no cost. Lastly, the location was perfect. It is a nice & peaceful 10min walk to the Colosseum, and about a 5 second walk to the metro station to take you to the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Termini, etc. And if your walking to historic Rome, we found that there are several great restaraunts and gelati shops that are worth popping in! Overall, I would definitely stay here again based on all the things I just mentioned, but mainly because of Roberto and his staff. For first timers and for people who are just looking for a great and affordable place to stay, Hotel Napoleon is a fantastic choice and highly recommended!!!

Thank you Roberto for helping make our stay in Rome everything we thought it would be and more!! We'll be back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew S
Lake Worth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent 2 days pre cruise at the Napoleon. The location was not great, not sure what other visitors felt, The location was in a shady neighborhood. We took the bus or cab to reach all sites. The room was small, view of an alley. The shower is a joke, the water shoots all over, the half shield didnt provide any floor protection. We asked for a resturant recommendation, they sent us to terrible resturant, I am sure they got a kick back. Food was poor and over priced, small dishes poor service. I can honestly say we would not return to the hotel. I searched for over 6 months before selecting the Napoleon. I would suggest staying near the vatican, more quaint and walkable location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunshinegirl0707
napoleonRoma, Manager at Hotel Napoleon, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
It is difficult to understand why what is positive, excellent , very good, nice, convenient, friendly, etc. for almost 100%of our Guests can be not a good choice . On the last page of Trip Advisor the most used word is wonderful … maybe exaggerated? Yes, maybe. Some of our Guests fall in love for the hotel Napoleon, and probably they are too generous. But they are too many! On the 2012 and 2013 we have got 419 reviews on Trip Advisor. 236 ranked the hotel as excellent (5/5), 134 as very good (4/5), 43 as average (3/5), 2 as poor (2/5) and 3 as terrible (1/5) . The real percentage of recommendation in the last period is higher than 93%, considering as not recommending also reviews ranking the hotel as average but showing some concern about the hotel. Of course our goal is to reach the 100%, but such a good percentage of Guests who appreciated the hotel and would recommend to a friend is for us a source of pride. In the meantime we try to understand the reasons of dissatisfaction, and solve them. I do not agree with the description of the location. As the largest part of our Guests confirmed in their previous reviews, the hotel is in a very convenient location for visiting Rome, and many of the most important touristic attractions and cultural sites are at an easy walking distance, like the Coliseum that is less than 10 minutes, the Roman Forum, the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, Via Veneto, etc. The great advantage is also the metro, which entry is just outside the hotel, and connects you in 15 minutes with the Vatican. This why I wonder why you had to use cab or buses, that are expensive and often slow, because of the traffic. I presume you did not ask our Concierge, probably as consequence of the episode regarding the restaurant that you also mention in your review. Regarding the evening entertainments, all around the hotel there are a lot of good and cozy restaurants and I am surprised about your negative experience. Our Concierge always looks to provide the best suggestions, hundreds of reviews praise them for their assistance also about this aspect. Their suggestions are also based on the experiences of our Guests, but if we receive a negative report, we never suggest the same restaurant again. The choice is large and usually is always possible to find a reliable place, apart some very busy evening. Therefore I am sorry for the inconvenience. If you had given your report to our Concierge, I am sure they had taken it in the highest consideration. Further than the good restaurant available nearby, and the easy access to the largest part of the touristic attraction, the location of the hotel is quiet during the night, not being in one of the crowded area of the roman night life, but Rione Monti, that is the trendiest area of the night life in Rome, is just few hundred meters from the hotel. One consideration about the view from the window of your room. We clearly inform our Guests that our rooms face onto internal courtyards, they are silent and calm and many of our Guests are pleasantly surprised because they could also sleep with the windows open, and this is a feature almost unique in the center of Rome. On the other hand Rome is a very noisy city and in many hotels which windows face onto the street, the view is just the view of the opposite building and even the double glazing do not offer enough protection and cannot guarantee a good quality of sleep. Having investigated for 6 months about the hotel Napoleon, let me say that you should be properly aware of this aspect of the hotel. One consideration about the shower. Some of our showers are larger and some smaller, depending on the size of the bathroom. We always look to offer the best accommodation, but if the shower did not fit your requirement, we would be delighted to find a better solution. In conclusion, my opinion is that, because of the disappointment about the restaurant, I think you did not ask anymore our Concierge, and that was a pity, because they offer a very reliable, expert and knowledgeable assistance, that is the best way to enjoy your time in Rome. I would be happy to have a chance of welcoming you again and I am confident that you could fully enjoy your stay. Kind regards