“Stuuning Roof Terrace”

Ranked #120 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Stuuning Roof Terrace”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We visited the roof terrace of this hotel on beautiful evening in June.
This is a great spot to watch the sunset over Rome.
The waiters are very friendly.
Sit on the lower level of the terrace for a better a few and a more intimiate expereince, as there are only 2 tables in this area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed a few nights in June, and absolutely loved it.
The staff under the excellent management of Roberto, were all extremely helpful, courteous, kind, and welcoming.
I booked awhile before, after reading reviews here, and took a Richard Meier room.
my room was on the 4th floor, at the front of the hotel, so had cascading greenery, with purpl flowers across the windows, making a serene oasis and retreat.
The weather was was very warm, around 33celcius each day, but the room was beautifully cool. When i arrived, i was given a welcome drink and little snacks.
I was very early so they stored my luggage while I went to see Gallery Borghese.
When I returned to the Hotel, my room was ready, and i was given a nice tour by one of the staff. In the room were welcome drinks, and some delicious appetisers under a bell jar.
The room was superb. As I said, very tranquil, and it had a great sound system, as well as TV/Cable if you wanted. The bathroom had a huge tub, and all the amenities were 1st class. This was the most superbly comfortable bed of my entire trip. I believe it was Tempur, and fully adjustable too, which was fun.
Breakfast, included, was all you could want before a huge day out walking. Plenty of choices, and an orange juice maker, or carrot/apple juicer right on hand.
I hope I will return to Hotel Raphael in the near future. It is in a wonderful location, and for me will always be tied with my amazing first experience of Rome.
I did experience the rooftop terrace as well, for drinks and light snacks. I made sure to go a few times, so as to make the most of the views under changing light.
Thankyou Roberto and Staff
for being so professional, and welcoming.
Wendy M.

Room Tip: The Richard Meier room was a real haven, and very quiet although fronting the street. The a/c is ad...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank bluewren72
Reviewed June 13, 2014

From the offset the hotel seemed lovely; a last minute stay booked the night before. The chauffeur that picked us from the airport was fantastic and accommodating.
The staff were friendly as expected and the rooms fantastic.
The only let down I would say was breakfast which seemed lukewarm at best but was still extremely varied.

All in all, would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Forte Dei Marmi, Italy
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Last leg of our month in Italy, and we booked Hotel Raphael mainly for its location, being close to Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Vatican City. Breakfasts provided were good, with ample selection of hot and cold food. At night once restaurants closed, there was little noise. The view from the Terrace is not what I expected, and I had to ask which of the four domes was St. Peter's. Staff were competent. We had a Classic Double room, two single beds latched together with a fair space in between - not ideal, romantic, or comfortable. Small one person at a time bathroom. Being one of the most expensive hotels we stayed in Italy, we expected some more value for money, approaching the five star cost, but unfortunately we did not receive five star value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I was booking Raphael Hotel very in advanced directly from hotel website.
Since in June we were planning our honeymoon I booked Richard Meier room and asked for the higher floor with a view. I been told that since I am booking very in advanced (February) and honeymooner's they do the best for us.
Also, we like Raphael chain by being they guest at Paris pretty often.
Well, when we arrived everything was charming. The hotel it's self and friendly front desk and welcome drink, very smooth check-in, but room...
don't get me wrong, very well decorated , clean and with enough space, but view.. actually there no view at all, just a brick wall and very dark. We not feeling that is romantic at all. Also at front desk we been told that we will getting an upgrade. Upgrade ??? we did book Richard Meier and had a promise for nice view. We feel, that our booking and request was not processed properly.

Room Tip: Richard Meier, but make sure NOT with brick wall view!!!!
4 Thank Miamiblues1986
Roberto V, Direttore generale at Hotel Raphael - Relais Chateaux, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for leaving your impression of Hotel Raphaël, Relais & Châteaux, on Tripadvisor.
We are honored and proud that you chose our hotel for the very special occasion of your honeymoon.

We are glad to know you appreciated the hotel and the quality of our services.

We are sorry to read that the Executive Richard Meier Junior Suite n° 308 did not meet entirely your expectations regarding the view and the luminosity. That Junior Suite has 3 big windows with a view on the Churches of Santa Maria dell’Anima and Santa Maria della Pace and on the Arco della Pace. We think that especially the view of the Arco della Pace and the walls of the 2 churches that are from the years 1300 is very characteristic but we are sorry that they did not meet your expectations.

The room of an approximate size of 35 square meters has a bathroom made of Carrara white marble with 2 sinks, a large semi-circular shower and a bath tub. The Junior Suite is moreover equipped with an electric adjustable bed and Tempur mattresses.

As for the request of highest floor, we are sorry we could not assign you a room on the 4th or 5th floor at the time of your stay. We will do our best during a possible future stay to assign you a room that is more adapted to your preferences. Please be assured that we always do our best to satisfy our guests requests whenever it is possible and we really care about their opinion.

In any case, we are truly sorry that you were not totally satisfied with the room and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at Hotel Raphaël, Relais & Châteaux, during your next stay in the Eternal City. In that occasion, it would be a pleasure for us to offer you and your wife a glass of Prosecco on our terrace.

Best regards

Roberto E. Vannoni
North, South Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Wonderful location just off the Piazza Navona, which offers easy walking access to the Vatican, Trevi, etc. You will pay more at any of the hotels in this area of Rome, but it was worth it for us. The staff was very nice (particularly Gaspare, who gave several recommendations for dessert shops, all of which turned out perfectly).

We stayed in their 'modern' room. Best shower we had in Italy (rainfall showerhead), wifi worked quite well, expansive bathroom, reasonably comfortable bed, quiet. View out the window was of a back street/alley, but it wasn't noisy.

Best breakfast of our stay in Italy--somewhat broader selection than most hotels in Italy, and all the items were good quality.

There is a rooftop patio, but it was raining during much of our time in Rome so we didn't try it out. We also didn't try the restaurant, but those who favor vegetarian fare may want to give it a shot.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Booked a deluxe room for three nights, paid over 450 euros a night. That price deserves excellence, and unfortunately this hotel doesn't deliver it for me. A three star rating may seem a little harsh, it is generally a nice place, but ultimately the value for money is so poor I wouldn't stay here again, so I can't rate it any higher.

The positives...
- The location is certainly good. The sights of Rome are quite spread out, but if there is a best area to stay then near the Piazza Navona / Pantheon is probably it
- From the plant covered outside, through the public areas and into the room the hotel looks great
- Touches like the welcome drink, electric buttons to open and close curtains and dimmers on the bedside lights are all nice

The negatives....
- The room we were originally allocated was absolutely tiny, barely bigger than the bed, with a bathroom so small the door wouldn't open all the way because it hit the toilet. I complained at reception as I'd booked a delux room, and was told that was a delux room. Wow. Complained more and was moved to another room which was quite nice, but had a view of a brick wall, the advertised Sky TV didn't work, and the duvet being between loose sheets rather than in a duvet cover can't be hygienic
- The roof terrace is nice enough, but open so rarely it's almost pointless. Breakfast, or even just coffee, on the roof terrace in the morning? No, buffet in basement room with no natural light. Dinner? No, not unless you want very expensive vegetarian / vegan food only. After dinner drink? Not sure what time it actually closes, but if you get back after 11 as we did, it will be. Drink inside instead? No, the basement breakfast room that also serves as a bar is also closed, and there's no room service anymore. You sure this is a five star hotel?
- The wi-fi didn't work once during our three day stay
- Being charged an extra 6 euros a night 'city tax' on check out is almost insulting. I've paid almost 1500 euros in advance, and you want 18 euros now? Just include it in the rate

If this hotel were half the price it this would be a fantastic place, but when you can get suites in nearby hotels or rooms for over 100 euros a night less it's impossible to recommend, which is a real shame

Enjoy Rome!