“Location and staff make for a memorable visit”

Hotel Raphael - Relais Chateaux
Ranked #134 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Location – only moments from Piazza Navona and just away from the crowds. Everything is within walking distance. We had no need to even consider taking a taxi, metro or bus during our Easter break because of its central location.

Staff – outstanding service by passing on the baton and following up. On mentioning that it was my birthday we were upgraded to a suite. The restaurant recommendation was for the nearby “Bistrot del Mare” in the interesting area away from the Piazza. In arranging the restaurant booking the hotel obviously mentioned my birthday and added a few little extras to make that a truly enjoyable meal. On return to the hotel we were greeted with a lovely birthday torte in our suite – complete with candle and congratulatory letter. Thank you – a really nice touch and memorable welcome to Rome.

Suggested improvements – The bed in our suite (# 120) is really getting a bit old. It is definitely NOT up to the standard of a Marriott bed. The rooms are expensive, consequently we expect better; it’s a simple equation. (We have also given feedback direct to the hotel about the bed.) The double glazing is not as effective as it could be. The external noise was not too intrusive however, although I am a light sleeper, the background noise did not cause any great concern. I was expecting sirens and car horns all night but that was never a problem.

We would like to thank the staff for a visit full of wonderful memories to which they made a significant contribution. We have only marked 4/5 because of the bed; otherwise it would definitely receive 5/5. We will return - but it will have to be a treat.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VickiAndAndrew
Write a ReviewReviews (1,475)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I will start with something positive, the hotel rooms are large, clean and very nice. The restaurant was pricy but actually good for hotel restaurant food. Now what went wrong? First of all I emailed the hotel on 3 separate occasions for a room upgrade (which I was happy to pay for) to accommodate a 3rd guest that had joined us on holiday. No response. My last email I sent said, "due to your lack of response our guest has opted to stay at another hotel". Again, no response. Management had every excuse. "we don't communicate upgrades so we don't get your hopes up" WHAT?!! I wasn't asking for a freebie. I told him (the manager) that made no sense, he said my room WAS upgraded, really?? you didnt tell me, there wasn't room for a third guest. Then he said "we get hundreds of emails we cant reply to all" really?? then HIRE MORE STAFF. Strike one.
Upon arrival from Positano they failed to inform ALL their guests (and many unhappy ones) that we could not reach the hotel by private car or taxi due to the marathon. Therefore we walked, with our luggage from the train-station to the hotel (well over an hour with each of us lugging 50 pounds of luggage. The hotels response "you should have taken the under-ground train" THANK YOU for that news too late. How would we know? Strike Two.
Finally, we chose one of the best restaurants in the city for our last night, I asked the hotel to make a reservation for 3 at eight and for directions. We took a car only to find the restaurant CLOSED. The hotel never made a reservation! We took a taxi back to the hotel and that was the final strike. They were full of lame excuses "we thought you only wanted directions" I said "can you make a reservation for 3" - how can you misunderstand that? We were compensated with a sandwich (they comped for lunch) and a taxi ride back to the airport. Not too classy. I have traveled the world and was in Italy for a month and this was the worst hotel experience in terms of service. It's a shame because the hotel itself is lovely and in a good location. The bartender told us that even Julia Roberts stayed there. Sorry hotel Raphael, you FAILED and lame excuses only made it worse. How about, we messed up and we are very sorry! Not a great way to end our month in Italy. That said, hotel Manfredi (smaller not as nice) had exceptional service. You don't always get what you pay for. I would fire that hotel manager, I am in the hospitality business and as an owner/operator with hundreds of emails a day my staff finds time to respond to our guests needs and we don't offer bs excuses when we screw up.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
16  Thank Stacy67_8400
Reviewed March 21, 2013

First, I should point out that my wife and I were looking for a March getaway last fall and found an incredible deal on Expedia - flight from Montreal and six nights at this hotel for 3,900 dollars. On the second day of our trip, I was sure someone was going to come to our door and say "We're sorry, there's been a mistake..." This hotel is a jewel! The location is ideal, the service is impeccable, the attention to detail is amazing, and the atmosphere is charming. We would return to this hotel in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Sean R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel well located just a few steps from Piazza Navona and I have stayed there over 6 times in the last 12 years. Unfortunately, they have raised their rates quite a bit over the last three years and I will not go back until they get in line with better hotels charging the same price. The hotel is fine, clean, and a small boutique hotel - but for the price you can do much better! Oh, and the staff could do a bit better in being more friendly. Don't get me wrong, some of the staff are wonderful, but you get the impression they think this is Versailles. I would suggest not paying a dime over $350 a night for this hotel. They were charging $650-$750 a night last I checked!!! NOT worth it at all. They need to think twice before losing their best customers.

Room Tip: noisy rooms - ask for quiet room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank AvidTravelerExpert
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel I can definitely recommend, good service, clean room and great breakfast buffet.
The location is just great if you want to walk to all places of interests in just three days. It is possible to reach booth the Vatican as well as forum romanum and then do some shopping in between.
It is then good to have a hotel which is nice and give you everything you need in comfort.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BjornGSallstr
Reviewed March 15, 2013

An excellent and lovely hotel at even better location. We booked the superior room, small but well decorated, cozy, modern and very clean.The staff was very friendly and professional during our check in, check out and stay. Free nibbles, water and Prosecco every evening and a great breakfast Free Wi Fi. Needless to say, the location is amazing, in that beautiful Largo Febo, next the Piazza Navona, walk distance of the main attractions of the city.

Room Tip: The superiors, with a little terrace
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

If the owners of this great property would have to invent their slogan, they could not find better. What about an adjustable bed with a distance commande after a long day of sightseeing in Rome? A bathroom allowing you to watch the news while soaking in a bath with a deliscious Bulgary gel? Great cappuccino or latte with REAL (not this dusgusting hotel version of pressed juices) freshly pressed blood orange for breakfast? Well, I will propbably not win a helpful note for a highly positive review :), but the property is FLAWLESS. Our stay was just deliscious.
I would not mention all the other strong points such as location, helpful and efficient stuff as they were mentioned by other travellers. I would add that it was a great value for what we payed and a real pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple