“Very helpful staff and great location”

Starhotels Metropole
Ranked #168 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Very helpful staff and great location”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

On arrival was delt with efficently and given room 911. When we went to the room we found the room to be noisy. (Think it was the air conditioning).Went back to reception and explained the room was noisy. The receptionist then called the bell boy over who showed me to another room to see if it looked ok. It was actually a room upgrade and the bell boy got our bags from the other room and keys for the new room. I felt this was delt with very efficently.

The room was cleaned with lovely new towels everyday and even had a choice of pillows.
It was also spacious with a kingsize double bed.

Only ate breakfast in the hotel which was included in our package which had plenty of choice including hot food and pastries, fruit, cheese and hams, croissants.

The hotel was in a great location for all the sights and reception gave us the best advice how to see them all and also recomended restaurants nearby.

We ate at a restaurant nearby called Straga which gave generous portions and friendly service.
To get to this restaurant turn left when leaving the hotel then turn left at end of the road. Walk to the end of the road restaurant is next to pharmacy and square.

Also another restauraunt we tried was called Napoli which was the worse one we tried. We ordered a set menu which was ok to start with when the starter came out. I ordered a pizza as a main and my wife ordered a pasta dish which comes from 2 different kitchens. My pizza arrived very quickly and was very watery. When I got halfway through eating my pizza I asked the waiter where the pasta dish was. He checked with the kitchen and was we were told that our pasta dish was given to another table and a new one was being cooked and would be about 5 minutes. After 10 minutes I then asked asked where the pasta dish was and the reply was shrugged shoulders. We then left the restaurant with just one of us eating. When you go out for a meal with your wife it is nice to eat together.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor especially room 911 are noisy. It sounds like a humming noise from the conden...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for three nights for our final destination on the Titan Travel 'Treasures of Italy' tour and it was by far the best hotel of the three. Modern, shiny, squeaky clean with attractive public areas, it gave the impression of being a well-run and efficient hotel with polite but not overly friendly staff (apart from one of the waiters who was a real character despite not speaking English).

Our room was excellent; capacious, clean, well equipped and laid out with a huge, very comfortable bed. It was also very quiet with absolutely no road noise depsite being in the centre of Rome. The bathroom was modern, spacious and clean with, joy of joys, enough space to lay out your personal toiletries. There were grab rails for helping you to shower safely in the bath although there was no slip mat. It had tea and coffee making facilities which was good but, when we tried to make our early morning cuppa we found that they do not provide milk (very odd). Ask at the bar in the evening for some milk for your room and they will give you a small jug which you can keep in your fridge.

It had a very nice bar area but, as usual with hotels of this sort, drinks were horrendously overpriced so you would do better to find a little place locally to have a drink (there are lots around but some of them are expensive so take care).

Breakfast (buffet style) was very good with the usual mix of a Full English (minus decent back bacon of course), continental, cold meats and fresh fruit salad - all the usual stuff that you seem to get in every hotel in the world these days. There was plenty of seating and staff were polite. They did not seem to run out of anything.

I only have one grouse about this hotel - you only get 24 hrs free wifi access. After that you pay. I cannot understand why such an expensive, up-market hotel doesn't throw in wifi access as part of the deal. It irritates and makes me cross and makes them seem greedy.

Room Tip: We had Room 104 which was accessible by one flight of stairs (if you don't want to take the lift...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights with my partner and we loved it. The bed was extremely comfy and the rooms/hotel overall is very nicely decorated and maintained. Room service and staff helpfulness were great, they recommended some fabulous restaurants for us.
Location wise it's pretty good. Just a few minutes walk to the coliseum.
We got the bus for a few euro from the airport to nearby and the station was very close about a ten minute walk to the hotel.
Drinks in the hotel were a little pricey though but this didn't put us off.
Would definitely stay again and have recommended to friends.

• Stayed February 2012
USA
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed here 1 night in September and it was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. I returned to the room at 10 PM and just needed a good night's sleep for an early departure the next day. After showering and getting into bed, the room alarm went off. The sad fact is that the key card needs to be put in the wall inside the room to control the electricity and air.(This was supposed to be a 4 star hotel & was expensive) It wasn't until after midnight that the maintenance person came up & could not fix it. So the management's way of handling this was to control the electricity from their desk. (Since I was leaving at 8 AM changing rooms was not an option)Well the night staff & day staff do not talk to each other and when the day shift came on someone actually came up and into my room -no knocking & I was still in bed! Then I got a call from the desk asking if I had a problem. I had no sense of security. I would never stay at one of their hotels again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank landgeurope
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We selected the hotel based on the location (close to the train station) and the reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We were "upgraded" to a business room, although the amenities did not seem much different than a standard room, only slightly bigger. The breakfast buffet was very good with lots of variety.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LA_Andrew
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in August, regretted every minute of it. We paid close to $300CAD per night for our stay at this hotel, not worth it! The rooms have very old carpeting, rock hard beds and stained furniture, very dated, not at all what the photos on the website indicate. My 11 year old had a single sofa bed to sleep on, the mattress was dismal, a yoga mat would have offered more support. The breakfast that is included is a cafeteria style room, the food was mediocre compared to other places we stayed in Italy. The staff in the breakfast cafeteria were outstanding, pleasant and efficient. The parking was quoted to me at 24 euros per day, we were charged 30. We booked on hotels.com, we had our 2 children with us, website only allows you to book one child at time of booking, however, as per website policy "children under 12 stay free when sleeping in existing bedding", I had this in writing. According to Cristina C at the front desk, my 7 year old was required to pay 30 euros per day, contrary to written policy, I showed her the confirmation, she was not willing to compromise whatsoever and did so with the absolute worst attitude. I work in the travel and tourism industry, I travel 6-7 times per year, I have never been so poorly treated in my life. The overall feel of this hotel is very unwelcoming, the bar area is always empty, and that is a testament to the atmosphere that the front desk staff have created here. I had family staying just around the corner for a fraction of the cost, and their hotel had far superior amenities, and every time we walked into their front lobby, those folks offered a bongiorno with a smile, not so at the Starhotel Metropole. In fact at the end of our busy days, my family and I hated having to come back to this hotel, but because we had pre-paid on the website we had no other option, they would not refund us our money. Take my advise...there are several hotels in the area that are much more affordable and will offer a far more pleasant experience that the Starhotel Metropole, your hard earned dollars are better spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: The IQ hotel very near by is a better option.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family