“The Westin reviewed by a EUROPEAN”

The Westin Excelsior, Rome
Ranked #203 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Singapore, Singapore
“The Westin reviewed by a EUROPEAN”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have read a lot of reviews of the Westin before I stayed there and found a pattern that most if not all negative reviews are from visitors in the US or Canada. Therefore I decided to write a review from a Europeans perspective. The hotel is old but grand and has existed much longer than probably 99% of hotels in North America. Therefore the structure has certain things which cannot be changed. However I think the Westin has really done a good job by creating a modern hotel in a traditional building. We had a corner suite (room 328) and it was lovely. No chipped paint or dust collection in the room and everything worked as it should (i.e. shower, toilet, sink, internet etc.). The suite was very large and had a comfortable bed. As others have noted the kind size bed are two single beds put together. Room service was prompt and there was no mix up in our orders and we ordered room service three times during our stay. Staff was polite in general but being typical Italian so do not expect the overly friendly and chatty American guy. This is Italy after all and people just behave differently and I found there English perfectly understandable and they understood me. Breakfast was good and had a nice and big selection which catered to everyone. The lifts were all very quick and one of them was brand new so I do not understand the comment by one reviewer who said they were from the seventies. I wonder which lift the reviewer used. Location is perfect and we did our sightseeing on foot and the Spanish steps are just five minutes away and everything else is absolutely doable on foot. Rome really is a lovely city.
I would certainly return to this hotel again and I was unnecessarily worried by all these negative reviews which did not reflect my stay at this great hotel.

2 Thank jetsetlife888
The_Westin_Excelsior, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Excelsior, Rome, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the positive review of our property! Your comments are truly appreciated and give us a great sense of accomplishment!
We hope to have again the pleasure of your visit very soon!
The Hotel Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
MARKHAM
Reviewed May 25, 2012

A bit out of the way, but well worth it. In a residential area with local restaurants and services.
Lobby fantastic. Rooms large and comfortable. Everything works well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your feedback.
We are glad that we were able to meet your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for appreciation and we look forward to welcome you back again at our property.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The Excelsior is a very good hotel in a terrific location in Rome. It has great walking access to many of the things that you want to see. The room and the service were very good but the decor is tired and a bit worn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
It is great to know that you appreciated our strategic location and high- quality service and enjoyed your accommodation.
We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Rome!
Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 23, 2012

As I am a Starwood member, I have stayed at the Westin twice. However, I did have a much better experience 2 years ago compared to my most recent stay.
Some of the problems for the Westin Excelsior - the hotel itself is quite old with dated decor, but the rooms were quite comfortable. Location wise, i was not a fan of this hotel. You are around a 15 minute walk to the Trevi fountain / Spanish Steps, 20 mins to Pantheon and 25 mins to Piazza Navona. Although that doesn't sound too far...it is. Especially when the public transportation in Rome is not good. Lastly, and most importantly, service. I felt the service was not up to the Westin standard. I am currently a gold member and have stayed at many Westin / Starwood properties, but this particular Westin is easily the worst. I cannot say for certain that this is the case; however, throughout my trip in Europe I did not use my Amex credit card. I did use it for check in for incidentals at the Westin Excelsior. That very night, I received an email from Amex indicating my credit card number was compromised. As i said, I cannot for certain give blame to the Westin Excelsior; however, I used my credit card once during my trip and it was immediately compromised. Just wanted to give out the potential warning to fellow Tripadvisor members. As a result (even outside of the credit card breach), I do not recommend staying at the Westin Excelsior based on the location and service.

8 Thank illshame
The_Westin_Excelsior, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Excelsior, Rome, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your room and found it comfortable.
We encourage always a positive, helpful and friendly approach to ensure that our team is able to assist our customers in the most professional and warm manner. We apologize most sincerely if, on this occasion, we failed to meet your expectations.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. We will be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back to extend our best care and attention and improve your impression on us.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I've stayed here on 3 occasions. The rooms are not cheap for sure. I stay here because I belong to Starwood which owns the Hotel, so I can use points. The hotel was obviously once a palatial space, however it is in need of serious renovation. The hotel needs repairs and the rooms need serious cleaning (stains, squished mosquitoes on wall paper in room not cleaned). For the price charged, you can do better down the street. Staff is not overly friendly either. If you speak Italian, they treat you better it seemed. SPA was also dirty. I found someone had vomited in the bathroom at the SPA and reported it to the reception girl. As no other staff was around, she had to leave her post and try to clean it.

Room Tip: The are renovated rooms that were renovated 5 years ago, and others that haven't been renovated...
3 Thank Anthony G
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback.
We were particularly concerned about your opinion on the staff attitude which did not reflect the level of service and the warm hospitality we are known for. Please accept our apologies.
We would like to assure you that we greatly value all the comments that we receive as they represent a precious information which helps us to improve the service offered to our valuable guests.

Kindly be informed that a renovation plan is already in place and we do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again.

Toronto
Reviewed May 22, 2012

A real disappointment. Dated, tired and musty. A thorough painting and plastering is needed. Wi-fi is completely unreliable. Staff in bar is friendly enough, but slow and seemingly unconcerned with guests ongoing needs. Food options limited and uninspired. Had to send first meal back as shellfish was off.

Several errors from front of house. Waited three hours for room at check in; finally taken to room to find it still being cleaned; returned finally to the room with no apology from management; as if things weren't bad enough, waited for an additional 45 minutes for my bags; arrived back from work out to find a bottle of prosecco, strawberries and hand-written note (could things be improving?); error in delivery as gesture was meant for another guest; was honest and returned gift - no thanks for my honesty; staff great at looking busy helping invisible people; don't expect doormen to hail a cab as they are too busy smoking and talking on mobile phones.

Overall, I felt unwelcome. Maybe the staff knows something that I don't. This property is a real problem. Send help quick.

Advice to those headed to Rome: avoid the Westin and the Via Veneto in general: there are so many other great properties and neighbourhoods to explore and enjoy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank HonestCanuck
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience.
We are really sorry to hear about your concerns and that you left our property disappointed.
We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced due to the high occupancy during your stay and the wrong staff attitude which did not reflect the level of service and the warm hospitality we are known for.
We take all comments very seriously and again, we thank you for bringing to our attention the issues pointed out. Be assured that your comments will be discussed in order to avoid any repetition.
Hoping that this experience will not impact the possibility of returning back to the hotel, we will be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Please feel free to contact the executive office directly to handle your personalized reservation.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Walled to Trevi fountain, most comfortable beds in Italy, good food, great staff

• Stayed July 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the positive comments. It is wonderful to know that you appreciated our strategic location, restaurant facilities and our staff that works really hard to make every guest stay a memorable experience!
We do hope to welcome you back again on your next trip to Italy!