“Terrible hotel”

Ranked #401 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“Terrible hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Hotel rooms are full of cigarette smell. The light switch for the washroom somtimes work, sometimes doesn't. Power outage happen every night for the 2 days that our group have stayed. We have talked to reception and the reply is too many people use it at the same time so the power went out. Also, you can constantly hear someone walking down the hallway or talking in the rooms besides you. The only good thing about this hotel is they offer both soft and firm pillows.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oct T
ROMDM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Oct T,
Thank you for your comments. I have investigated with our chief engineer the situation of the electricity. He told me that the lack of the electrical power supply was generated by an unforeseen incident to our internal electrical system. This shortage appeared in all the hotel areas but it was resolved the same day. We really hope this had not damaged your tour in Rome. I have informed the housekeeper about the smell of smoke in the rooms as well.
Thank you also for approving our choise of the pillows.
Thank you for your positive criticism. Guest like you help us to improve our services and to prevent that similar situations can happen in the future.
kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Room was standard holiday inn quality - which is decent. We stayed here only because we had a morning flight home and its near the airport with a shuttle. We did eat dinner here. It was pretty awful. Especially coming off a week tour of Italy and having some of the best food of my life! Wine was rough. Pasta was like I make for my kids at home. Antipasti buffet was not good. I saw some little flies inside one of the buffet servers! Our shuttle left at 7 am and the breakfast did not even open until 7 so we didn't have the pleasure of experiencing that.

Wifi was extra which is unusual in the states for a holiday inn. Or at least priority club gets it free, not here I guess. There were no "freebies" for priority club like water or snacks like in the USA.

Anyway, we didn't stay here for the food. We wanted a clean place close to the airport and this holiday inn did the trick.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BusterBronco,
I have read your comments on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Rome Eur Parco dei Medici.
I do apologize is some of the services did not find your expectations, in particular with the food of our restaurant. Had you contacted the Maitre d'Hotel whilst in hotel, he would have made every effort to assist you and to find a solution. I have forwarded your comments to him and the executive chef as well. I know they will take corrective steps in order to improve the level of service.
As for the internet service, we offer different opportunities of price. Guest can choose the one which fits better to his requirements. I do apologize if this service did not meet yours.I have really appreciate your point of view and the suggestions you gave to us.
I would like you will visit us again in a next future, by giving us a second chance.
Chandler, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We paid to take the hotel shuttle to the city for some sightseeing. On our return shuttle at 8:10PM, our bus rear-ended a car which rear-ended the bus in front of it. A few of us went to the local hospital. I had a concussion and contusions on my arm and legs. My husband went back to the hotel to get my passport to bring to the hospital; we were still waiting for the ambulance. When he went to the front desk, he asked for the name of the hospital that we were transported to and the hotel representative said it could be one of three in the vicinity. My husband told him that it would take three phone calls to find out which hospital but the hotel representative refused to make any calls. We returned to the hotel at 2AM by taxi. There was no apology by the bus driver or the hotel, nor did they offer to send the shuttle to pick us up. The last patient called the hotel and demanded that they at least pay for the taxi fare for us to get back to the hotel. The next morning, my husband explained the situation to the hotel manager; he said he would look into it and contact us by email. Almost a month has gone by and we have had no response from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy H
Dear WorrisomeTraveller ,
I do apologize for the unpleasant episode occured to you and your family. We know that other guests had immediately assistance from our staff and that they have been refunded for the taxi expences. I have discussed the matter also with the general manager of the hotel. I know that the insurance company of the shuttle bus has been informed of the episode. If you have not forwarded the hospital and taxi receipts, please do it and send it to the following address: general.manager@holidayinn-eur.it
I will reply as soon as I have more information.
I do apologize again for this circumstance. I really hope you will visit us again.
With kind regards

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Fremantle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

After a long drive from the North we found the Holiday Inn on our Tom Tom, wanted somewhere close to airport for a family and did not want to get 2 rooms. Evening Reception Staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms large and very neat and tidy, Breakfast was plentiful. We made the decison to book for our return to Rome....only disappointment was the shuttle bus and operating times.....last bus back from city was 8pm........train was close by but morning staff not helpful with train information....gave us the map, but did not tell us that we had to buy our tickets at the hotel. You cant buy a ticket at the station. Overall a pleasant and enjoyable stay.......only to sleep shower and then travel to airport, which was a short 15 min taxi ride.

Room Tip: rooms not close to elevator lobbies, when people get out of lift they can be quite chatty and loud.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jabricci,
Thank you for your comments relating your last stay at Holiday Inn Rome Eur Parco dei Medici. I really appreciate that you have found our services good and that you had an overall pleasant and enjoyable stay.As for the shuttle services, our arrival and departure times have been evaluated from our guest's requests. I do apologize if they did not found your requirements.
Thank you for your positive criticism. I really hope to have you again as one of our best guests.
Joplin, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were very pleased with the hotel. It was attractive, clean & rooms were spacious. We were with a tour so transportation was not an issue. We did have two meals at the hotel and were pleased with both. The service was good and staff was friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ROMDM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear LouAnn B,
Thank you for your comments relating your recent visit at Holiday Inn Rome Eur Parco dei Medici.
I'm glad that your stay has been pleasant and that the service was good together with staff attitude.
Thank you for your cooperation, we hope to have you again as one of our best guest.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Disappointed! I have been traveling for 4 months and to spoil myself I decided to stay somewhere nice and close to the airport for my last night. Considering I have been staying in hostels I had high expectations. Firstly it costs €9 to use the wifi, €16 for breakfast, the bathroom floor was filthy with hair everywhere and the pool was closed. Not once does it mention any of these on their website. Their are also no directions from Muratella train station to the hotel, they just assume people know where to go. I have been paying a max of €20 per night in hostels and have had free unlimited wireless and breakfast included. None of of these are included, you also have to pay €3.50 each time you use the shuttle bus and then the driver expects a tip. To add to this a random €12 city contribution. As a tourist spending money in Rome , is this not a big enough city contribution? I am not exactly sure why you are charged so much and receive so little in return, it is extremely disappointing and false advertising. I would not have chosen to stay here if I knew you had to pay for wifi, breakfast and to have a dirty bathroom! Furthermore having spoken to other guests, I could see for myself that your resaurant is redicuously overpriced, therefore I chose not too eat there, however fellow guests also advised not too, as overpriced and the food is terrible. Wake up managment, you are a hotel providing a service to your customers, most of your terrible revues say exactly the same thing, don't you think it's time to do something about it!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Lisajmacca
Dear Lisajmacca,
Thank you for your comments. I would like to apologize if some of the services did not find your expectations. I can confirm you that our services are Holiday Inn standards and that most of the hotels supply the internet service with different prices, you may choose the one which fits well for your requirements.
As for the restaurant, I have forwarded your comments to the Maitre d'Hotel and to the Executive chef as well.
Regarding the city tax, up to date many cities have this taxation in addition to the room rate. I really hope it will not be the last time you visit us. We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel and to show you how good we really can be.
Tucson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was stop #4 on our tour's venue and, by all means, it should have been great, it looks good from the outside (but it was anything but great). The food quality was poor and the folks in the neighboring room slept with the TV on high volume the entire night. Arrgh.

One thing we noticed was that our group got different food from other tour groups and we were sent outside to eat separately (segregated, actually). Once they put us in the wrong line for breakfast and what a sumptuous feast there was for those lucky people! Everything that you can imagine was displayed before us, then they told us all to go outside to the covered area and self serve our breakfast from that other buffet. When you've glimpsed heaven, it's hard to settle for the meager offerings of canned fruit cocktail and none of those lovely pasteries on our menu. Sigh.

We did eat two dinners there and both times the "al dente" pasta (the one served to our tour group, at least) was inedible. It was a lot like a box of rigatoni was opened with sauce poured over the uncooked noodles. It was the worst we've had in any place we ate in Italy where we certainly ate and enjoyed "al dente" pasta often.

I, myself, would try very hard to avoid coming back here in the future. Although it was clean, we found that the total experience left alot to be desired.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ROMDM, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rome - Eur Parco Dei Medici, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear on_the_go_98765 ,
I was somewhat surprised to learn that your stay was not as per your expectations, in particular with regard for the food. As we have understood, you have travelled a lot and you may know that usually the hotel or a restaurant reserve a private area for a group. This is because you can seat with the others of your group and because there is a particular choice also in the menu (this depends from the tour agency which makes the reservations with the hotel). I do apologize if some of the services did not find your approval. I have forwarded your comments to the maitre d'hotel and to the Executive Chef. I know they will take corrective steps in order to improve the level of service. Thank you for your criticism and for your comments. Guest like you help us to fix areas which need improvements and to avoid that similar situations can occur in the future.