“Ideal for your Roman Holiday”

NH Roma Leonardo da Vinci
Ranked #321 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Very good experience from the start. Lovely friendly welcome even though we arrived before normal check-in. That set the tone for a very enjoyable stay. Lovely staff in very nice location within walking distance of Vatican and the main shopping area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean G
There are newer reviews for NH Roma Leonardo da Vinci

Reviewed December 3, 2013

It was in a great location, easy to walk anywhere in Rome with great resturants nearby. The morning buffet was nice with a good selection. Skip the scrambled eggs, I"m not sure what they are made from but undercooked and nasty. Fortunately there is plenty of other interesting things to choose from. Hotel staff spoke very good english and were very helpful.
Rooms were nice, nothing fancy but clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank valleem
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel is situated within a 20 minute walk or so of St Peters Square and The Vatican City. It is also only a block away from the River Tiber and a 15 minute walk or so to Piazza del Popolo and the wonderful Via del Corso with all its amazing shops. The rooms were fairly basic and comfortable but with very old fashioned television. The breakfast was adequate, although I must admit I have had better. Scrambled egg was available, but a boiled egg was charged extra !! Staff were friendly and polite. All in all not bad at all, apart from perhaps needing a facelift.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gail G
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a short break here for our 10th wedding anniversary. The hotel, reception and buffet breakfast are worthy of four stars. Our room was tiny so we had to take it in turns to walk around the bed. The bed was low but very comfy. The bathroom was big enough with a lovely hot and powerful shower (better than mine at home!). The bedroom carpet had seen better days. So overall would give our room 3 stars. We got a cheap deal on this hotel as my brother-in-law works in travel, don't think I would've been happy paying full price. Having said that, we had a pleasant stay and would recommend the hotel to others.
The location is within walking distance of the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon. We walked everywhere, including the Colosseum which was some distance away. Take some comfy walking shoes!
We had a lovely meal at Claudia's restaurant in the square directly facing the Pantheon - would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angkav
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I should start by saying I am a light sleeper. My sleep, or lack of it, really affects how I view a hotel. This hotel is used by airline crew who have odd hours, which has two benefits; the breakfast buffet is excellent (although I'm intrigued as to which culture eats cubes of jelly for breakfast), and there are blackout blinds on the windows.The bins seem to be collected around 23.30, which is a little annoying if you're having an early night, but overall, I slept very well.

If you like having two pillows, you may want to bring your own, as only one seemed available. The beds are quite hard, in an orthopaedic way, but not lumpy.

Alas, the housekeeping staff started cleaning at 7 am every morning! We were on the fifth floor, so maybe they start high up and move down, but as a former chambermaid myself, I found this extraordinary. We always started when breakfast was over. Not here!

Also, they use some sort of mothball/anti-mosquito thing in the wardrobes, which smelled really strong. I didn't want my clothes to smell of it, so I didn't put them in the wardbrobe. (Mind you, I got bitten 4 times while in Rome, so more fool me).

This is an airline-affiliated hotel, however, and some pilots may have to check out at odd hours, so perhaps they have to have the rooms ready earlier?

Anyway, tourists to Rome generally need to be out the door by 8am, to avoid long queues, so we didn't much mind. We found that the staff respected the 'do not disturb' signs. The toiletries were excellent. They even provided a razor, toothbrush and sponge. They didn't provide cotton wool, emery boards or conditioner. (Travel tip; Bring conditioner and leave other toiletries at home. You can use it to clean shoes, as body lotion, and as conditioner).

The food in the restaurant was really good, and the waiter very charming.

There were two bar items on our bill when we checked out, but when I insisted that we only had one, they were fine about taking it off the bill.

There was an excellent Sicilian gelateria around the corner, called Gelharmony, and we had gelato every night, in late October. The bus stop into town is outside this ice cream shop.

(Print out a map of the buses before you come here; the maps that say they include the bus routes only tell you which bus to get for each attraction, not where to get it from).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The hotel is in a great location - easy walk to the Vatican and central Rome. Staff were accommodating and friendly - however, it is clear that this is a 'group' hotel. The accommodations are sub-par; fixtures are dated, TV is about 12", mattress flat and lumpy, stains on the carpet, calcified shower heads, and the list goes on. This is the type of accommodation I would expect if taking a guided tour - and the tour groups wandering the lobby would suggest as such. The funnies thing is that the doors are locked after a certain time. Guess it is a strategy to save money on night staff? In a city where dinner starts at about 9PM - returning back to the hotel is a challenge if there is no one around to open the door. Breakfast is 'ok' at best, Unfortunately, at close to US$200 a night, it is very expensive. Did I mention the location? It is the only redeeming quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alvin M
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Very nice hotel, mainly used for business and airline crew. Situated in a quiet road 5 minutes from Metro station. Rooms modern and clean, breakfast buffet lovely. Staff friendly and helpful. Room comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple