“Do be put off”

Ranked #1,090 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Do be put off”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Recently I've had the pleasure of staying in many hotels and read many a review on Trip Advisor, most of the time I can be subjective and can see where some people like a hotel where others hate it, however with the Nova Domus I can't understand why anyone would like it. It's minging! (That's the Urban Dictionary definition number two for those that don't know).

The hotel is crumbling around the edges. I don't mind that the air conditioning doesn't work as I can open the window but I get the impression it doesn't work anywhere. There's plaster crumbling on the walls, the carpets are turning up and the false ceiling in my room doesn't fit so I can see the real ceiling and all the nice pipe work. The breakfast was uninspiring and lacking in choice and preperation.

The only positives are the staff are friendly and it's near the Vatican. There's a lot of people at this hotel at the moment and I can only assume they're on package holidays. They look happy and I can't work out why. I'm sure this hotel was nice 15 years ago but it isn't now.

If you want a hotel that's near some historic stuff and not bothered where you lay your head go for it but to me this is a hotel in need of some care.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank grantfriend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a family room, sleeping 4 for 5 nights. It was very good value for money, and only a 10 minute walk to the Vatican, St Peters and the nearest Metro station. The breakfasts were excellent, and our children are still talking about them two weeks later! The facilties in the room were good, the air conditioning worked like a dream after being out and about in 38 degree heat! The towels were changed daily, and the beds made etc, however the overall decoration of the room was a little rough around the edges and was in desperate need of a lick of paint and a new carpet. Despite this, we would recommend this a good base for a family trip to Rome based on value for money and location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank underwoods72
Shawsville
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Excellent location with only a 5-10 minute walk to the Vatican and to the Metro/subway station. Several nIce little restaurants and ATM's within 2-3 minutes walk. The hotel rooms themselves were somewhat old but fit the ambiance of the Vatican with art throughout the hotel. Our A/C didn't work so we switched rooms and it was somewhat better but still not cold-cold. The staff was 95% friendly. The breakfast was a DIVINE buffet - couldn't have asked for better. All around a great deal for the money.

Room Tip: If your A/C doesn't work ask for a different room until you get one that does.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Angel H
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and paid around $70/night. We figured we didn't need a 5-star hotel when we planned to be out for much of the day. We also wanted a hotel that was close to the Vatican area. Unfortunately, our room didn't have air conditioning, or at least, it didn't work. Rome was hot and humid the days that we visited, so it was really uncomfortable inside and outside. It was a 10-minute walk to the nearest subway station, which we wouldn't have minded if we had a somewhat cool room to return to. Staff at the front desk were quite nice, no complaints there, and breakfast was included in the price. However, we would probably stay elsewhere if we were to revisit Rome in the summer as the lack of air conditioning was unbearable.

Room Tip: Check air conditioning. I think our room was on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This one really depends on your expectations. I booked Nova Domus last minute and based on reviews, expected something pretty terrible. For ~80 euros for a double room, I got a pretty nice and quiet location (not *that* close to the Vatican but okay - 5 minute walk to the metro "Cipro" station), a comfortable bed with clean sheets and nice pillows, working A/C, an LCD TV, free (hot) breakfast, pretty courteous and responsible staff, and, well, it's a real hotel. It's not particularly glamorous and the rooms look very outdated with basic bathrooms (and poor water pressure,) but I've stayed in worse and paid more in Rome. Worth a look.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I had my reservations for months. I am a diamond level with Choice Hotels. I had trouble from the beginning. Wrong room initially. Finally got the room. My friends room had no air conditioning. No wifi throughout the stay. Came back a week later to stay one night to take plane back and they said they did not have a room. Finally got a room and no air conditioning. Some rooms work and others don't. You can not get a coffee before 7AM when breakfast is served. Breakfast is ok. Restaurant at night for dinner was ok.

Staff in restaurants and bell hops were very nice. Front desk people were shady when it came to getting right rooms and any information. I will be writing Choice Hotels about them. I would not stay here again. I would rather pay more for a better stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank J W

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Naples, Campania, Italy
Reviewed July 29, 2012

As Americans living in Italy, this was our third time bringing visiting family to stay at Hotel Nova Domus. In the past we have loved it but after this experience we will make sure to book with someone else in the future. Upon check in the triple room we had reserved had no working AC instead they packs an oscillating fan on the desk top. In July that just doesn't cut it! No efforts were made to remedy the situation. After the first nights stay we were waiting for the rest of our party to Jon us when the blonde Romainian female staff member was overly rude to my husband. This put a damper on the mood for the rest of our day. Later that day, my one year old woke up with an upset tummy and her diaper had leaked on the sheets of our bed.i walked downstairs to ask for new sheets and the same blonde staff member demanded to know "why do you need new sheets? What is wrong with your sheets?" at this point I refused to even speak to her and her nasty attitude. It was totally uncalled for and my husband and myself notifiedthemanager of her behavior who didn't see worried by it. The third evening after showering before dinner hundreds of tiny black larvae were discovered all over the bathroom floor. They had been disguised by the coloring of the tile, only to be discovered when wiping the floor with a towel to remove water. We immediately went downstairs to notify the staff and they assured us that they would take care of the problem while we were at dinner. Once we retuned the whole room smelled of vinegar and more of the larvae had appeared. O ce again we went back downstairs and informed the staff. Only after we requested a room change were we given one and then it was stil reluctantly given. I am embarrassed to say that I have recommended this hotel in the past and brought family visiting from the states here. It was unacceptable. I don't know how this p,ace even remains open!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms were nicer but not by much.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family