“Worst Stay EVER!”

Ranked #1,066 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Naples, Campania, Italy
“Worst Stay EVER!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

As Americans living in Italy, this was our third time bringing visiting family to stay at Hotel Nova Domus. In the past we have loved it but after this experience we will make sure to book with someone else in the future. Upon check in the triple room we had reserved had no working AC instead they packs an oscillating fan on the desk top. In July that just doesn't cut it! No efforts were made to remedy the situation. After the first nights stay we were waiting for the rest of our party to Jon us when the blonde Romainian female staff member was overly rude to my husband. This put a damper on the mood for the rest of our day. Later that day, my one year old woke up with an upset tummy and her diaper had leaked on the sheets of our bed.i walked downstairs to ask for new sheets and the same blonde staff member demanded to know "why do you need new sheets? What is wrong with your sheets?" at this point I refused to even speak to her and her nasty attitude. It was totally uncalled for and my husband and myself notifiedthemanager of her behavior who didn't see worried by it. The third evening after showering before dinner hundreds of tiny black larvae were discovered all over the bathroom floor. They had been disguised by the coloring of the tile, only to be discovered when wiping the floor with a towel to remove water. We immediately went downstairs to notify the staff and they assured us that they would take care of the problem while we were at dinner. Once we retuned the whole room smelled of vinegar and more of the larvae had appeared. O ce again we went back downstairs and informed the staff. Only after we requested a room change were we given one and then it was stil reluctantly given. I am embarrassed to say that I have recommended this hotel in the past and brought family visiting from the states here. It was unacceptable. I don't know how this p,ace even remains open!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms were nicer but not by much.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leigh T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

The room had a lot of things that didn't work. Power outlets falling out of walls, shower heads spraying water all over the bathroom, window shutters not retracting. Staff listened to our request - mainly to fix the shower as everything was getting soaked every time we had a shower - but nothing happened. The location is a 10 minute walk away from the Vatican but it really is in a poor position, kind of in the middle of nowhere hotel wise. I would say by the look of the guests that came through when we were there that this place survives on bus tour groups. To be avoided.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dean M

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We loved this hotel because of the staff. Claudia, the Superwoman of the Hotel, was the sweetest person. She always had a smile on her face, always ready to help people out. We stayed for 6 nights and we were taken care of with the utmost courtesy, patience and care. We needed a wheelchair for my Dad and they immediately arranged for it and it was at our disposal. This helped us out tremendously.
The room was bigger than I expected. It was perfect when traveling with a lot of luggage. They don't have a pool or fitness center, but, we didn't miss it. Didn't have time to miss it! :)

The complimentary breakfast was a big fantastic. There was a huge variety of food and everything was fresh. The coffee machine was fantastic. It served, warm milk, American coffee, Cappuccino, Hot chocolate and tea!!
I would highly recommend Hotel Nova Domus for it's location (very close to the Vatican and other sightseeing sights), breakfast, and mostly the wonderful staff. Looking forward to going back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I'm sorry to say that this hotel has nothing to do with a 4 star hotel! The only positive thing about it is the location: a 5 minute walk from the Vatican City. Everything else is just impossible.
Broken doors, broken windows, broken phone, broken lights in the hallways, stained carpets, dirty walls with visible cracks, high temperatures everywhere inside and outside the room. The A/C is old, noisy and an awful smell comes out of the vents. The TV is aged and has only 2 channels in English.
The food wasn't bad, but nothing special either. What I found disgusting were the pigeons eating leftovers out of plates in the terrace. Just NO!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank LilacLMNT
Johor Bahru
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We (my parents and I) stayed for 3 nights, being part of a pilgrimage tour to Rome, etc. Overall, the hotel was satisfactory, with nicely appointed bed linen and fittings. The buffet breakfast was very good, with freshly baked bread and quite a good spread. Altogether a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sophiaJohorBahru
Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Closer to the Vatican Museum than the Vatican.

I felt as though the staff was pretending to be nice, but they were not very welcoming.

Clean hotel.

Key actually broke in the door, but the maintenance worker was able to fix quickly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twhicke
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend and I over valentines day. The thought of being in Rome over the 14th was quite a romantic thing :) I chose Nova Domus mainly because of the affordable rates and the fact the reviews were fairly good.

Many people had mentioned that the area didnt feel safe but when we turned up I can't say that bothered us at all. It was lit up well enough and it was what you expect from a city hotel. I was quite impressed with its location really and it wasn't far from the Vatican or subway. Both probably a brisk 8-10 minute walk, perfect for strolling when you are on holiday personally.

The hotel itself was fine. The food was as expected for a three star European hotel. Nothing spectacular. You get what your given in a round about way. No complaints though. The room was pretty big and clean. The curtains were black out curtains which we loved so there was no light coming into the room in the morning. The staff were friendly when we asked for directions and information and we had no problems during our stay. Would definitely stay again if the price was right.

Oh and Rome is a lovely lovely city!! Best we have been to so enjoy it and don't rush around. Plan your activities carefully and you can fit it all in, in four days as we did.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple