“Small rooms, very friendly staff.”
Review of Hotel Appia 442

Hotel Appia 442
Ranked #573 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Fairbanks, AK
“Small rooms, very friendly staff.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Place is right next to subway. Really enjoyed the staff, great restaurant suggestions and helped with a really early checkout. Room size was little but comfortable. We had issues with our AC but we believe it was user error.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We are really pleased when a guest writes that he appreciated the services received.
Hoping to have you again our guests we greet you cordially. Sandra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I normally read TripAdvisor's reviews with the understanding that people have different perspectives and travel experiences and there are always the extreme two ends that either loves or hates everything about a hotel.

But about Hotel Appia 442, really! Are you people kidding me ?

We just returned after staying at the hotel for three days after our med cruise. The hotel location is indeed right by a metro stop, but the convenience stops right there. First you have to climb two flights of stairs to get to the street level, then once you get buzzed into the apartment building where Appia 442 is located, you have to climb another flight of stairs to get to the elevator. If you are a senior and have a few luggages, that's a lot of stair climbing. The elevator is the old-fashioned one and tiny like a closet. So if you are traveling with a family or have more than one piece of luggage, you are out of luck ---- you have to div up the elevator ride up into several trips.

The hotel is converted from an apartment on the 2nd floor. There is no lobby to speak with. Only a small reception desk at the entrance and a narrow short corridor leading into the individual rooms. There are two chairs in the narrow short corridor ---- which consists of all the public space you have.

The room is small. This is not unexpected when traveling in a major city. There is one lone chair in the room and if you want to sit down comfortably, the bed is pretty much your only choice (if you can calling sitting down on a bed comfortable).

The room is clean though which is the only saving grace of our hotel stay. Even this was taken away during our last day which I will come to shortly.

The bathroom is tiny. Again we did not expect anything other than that since it is Rome and space comes at a premium. What I fail to understand is how all the effusive reviewers manage the shower space. I am a small person and I literally can not bend down in the shower to pick up the soap slipped through my hand to the ground. I had to bend sideways. And every time I turned, I either hit my elbow on the shower wall, or the shower knob.

There is no amenities other than the tiny piece of soap and a little packet of shampoo. The size of soap you get is normally the one you would get from a motel in the US. It is so small and it constantly slips through my hand. You cannot find anything else such as a box of tissue.

On the ceiling of the room above the beds, there is some sort of detector (smoke) and it flashed red light throughout the night and day. During the day you may not notice and it does not matter anyway. During the night when you turn off all the lights and then you start noticing it. I asked the owner about it and she said it is standard safety feature and there is nothing they could do about it.

Hence if you are a light sleeper or do not sleep well outside your own house, you need to bring an eye shade. I ended up covering my eyes with my hands at some point and it drove me nuts!

Coming to the breakfast part, I consider it extremely misleading for this hotel to claim breakfast is included, unless if one can consider bit-size snacks breakfast. The so-called "breakfast" contains some slices bread (not full-size even at that) that you can toast yourself in a toaster, some tiny boxes of cereal, some pre-packaged bite-size snacks (like twinkies) which looks like they have been staying there forever as no one seems to pick any of those up. There is a small fridge in the breakfast area in which you can find thin packets of salami, tiny wedges of cheese ---- all pre-packaged which again look like they have been there for eons. Bear with my lack of culture, but maybe this is the European-styled breakfast ? We ended up getting our breakfast outside from some pastry shops nearby where at least you can fresh baked goods instead of pre-packaged, preserve-laden junk.

The last day of our stay, we returned to the hotel exhausted after a whole day of sight-seeing to find our room not made. The towels in the bathroom not changed, and the trash bin (tiny size again) not emptied, the toilet paper in the bathroom not replenished. I inquired with the person on duty that night and he apologized about their cleaning person "forgot" to clean our room. Hotel Appia certainly made a record through all my travels ---- this is the first time I ever encountered that a hotel has forgotten to clean the room. After The person on duty called the owner, we were offered the adjacent room. At that point we were tired through, and didn't feel like packing up our stuff to move to another room only to check out the next morning, we declined. We never heard a thing from anybody at the hotel since..... Really "nice" customer experience!

Overall, Hotel Appia 442 reminds me of a place that initially there seems to be nothing you can really complain on the surface: sure the room is clean (that is if they remember to clean it), and it is located right by the metro station. But all the little inconveniences and lack of amenities add up and at some point you come to this realization that the hotel is simply not comfortable.

Even the location is somewhat regrettable. It is by a metro station but far away from all the Roman sights. If you want to stroll around at night, there is really nowhere to go around the hotel. I inquired about the flea market that's on the hotel sales literature, and when directed there, all I found were several street vendor stalls.

We will not return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ranchun
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Sir, thank you for the positive comments about the cleanliness of the hotel . We apologize , once again, for having forgotten to clean your room the day before departure. We have no excuses , we realize how you felt and it is a pity that you have not accepted the adjoining room, offered in addition to the first one and of which you could at least use the bathroom. We regret not being able to remedy in any other way.
And now I’d like to take a little bit of time in order to clarify some things of your “story“. Rome is a very old city and if you want to stay downtown and live in a “building of 1916“ (read the information on www.hotelappia442.it) for sure you cannot find rooms as large as in a modern hotels ( more comfort maybe, but less charm! )
Worldwide if you use the subway, then you have to rise to < street level > but at the Furio Camillo's stop there is an elevator - beautiful, modern and available.
The Hotel, as written by all, is on the second floor of the building , to enter you have to climb 5 steps and then take the elevator, suitable for carrying 3 people. The question is: < why you did not ask for an help> we are always available to our guests without any payment.
Because we are an < all inclusive Hotel> in fact we did not put any extra-charge for the room-service asked twice a day; for internet wi-fi and the free use of the mini-bar,
Hotel Appia 442 is a small hotel, however in the lobby we have 4 seats and 3 other near the cafeteria where there are tables and chairs that, together with the table of the balcony, are available to guests throughout the day
The room is equipped with one chair and one armchair so you could use both, instead of sitting on the bed
If in the bathroom there was not enough soap, shower and shampoo gel, toothbrush, body lotion and (in the drawer) shoes -sponge , needle and thread, you could ask as you did for the adapter of your Iphone that we gave you.
It is true, at breakfast we only use disposable packaging single-dose, because we think they are more hygienic but the choose is between: salami, cheese, fruit salad, fresh fruit, yogurt in 3 flavors, butter, honey chocolate, 5 kinds of jam, 3 kinds of croissants, biscuits, rolls, sliced bread, cereal (4 different) orange juice and hot drink. The classic continental breakfast as mentioned on ‘Booking.com’
I can confirm that the microscopic flicker positioned in the ceiling of your room is the fire-alarm system that cannot be turned off, so much so that when you tried to switch it off, the whole hotel has tripped.
If you decide to return to the eternal city , please contact us and we will be happy to suggest structures more suitable to your needs, even with the use of the kitchen.
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We had just one night it spend in Rome before leaving on a cruise and were happy to spend it at the charming hotel Appia 442. We were welcomed by the proprietress, Sandra, who was very helpful with directions and transportation arrangements. There is easy access to the Metro and we were able to get out and see many of the major sights even though our time was limited. Our twin room was small but nicely appointed and we appreciated the elevator getting our luggage up to the hotel on the 3rd floor. Breakfast was included which was nice. It was an expensive taxi ride to the port, so I might choose something closer if I were to be in Rome again for a cruise, but otherwise I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We appreciate your kind words and we hope we can still be useful in the future. And by the way, Civitavecchia harbor can be reached also by train with a very modest cost. Arrivederci a Roma !
Pleasanton, CA
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel rooms are small but the space is well optimized and functional. There are places to sit, room for luggage and hanging clothes. The room is contemporary, modern fixtures, small shower (typical for Rome), has air conditioning. The lobby area is small but offers other places to sit. Breakfast was very basic but enough for a start to the day. The price is very reasonable for Rome.

Location is excellent. You get to experience life of the people of Rome, not tourists. There are all kinds of shops nearby and restaurants. Prices are more reasonable. The hotel is steps from the metro. It's close to the train station which means you can train to the airport or other parts of Italy. We took a taxi to the Int'l airport and it was $50 euros.

There is always someone at the desk to help with suggestions or arranging a taxi. Nice people and customer service focused.

A tip for those using this hotel ...
The hotel is on 2nd floor (starts at floor 0) in a mixed use building. The front door of the building is locked. You must press the buzzer to get access, go to the 2nd floor to find the door to the hotel. It's not intuitive but workable.

We liked this hotel best of all places in Rome we stayed in the past. You can get to all the tourist places but stay in an area with lots of locals. I would stay here again.

Tip for Rome travelers ...
Pickpockets are plentiful in Rome. They find tourists and can quickly take your wallet. I had mine lifted on metro where people push and shove to squeeze on busy trains. There is no reason to keep your credit cards, drivers license, passport or anything critical in a wallet. Simply put money in multiple pockets and leave those things at the hotel or use a travel wallet under your clothes. Bring copies with you, if you feel the need. The most critical loss was my drivers license.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
we appreciate the tip for other guests and the nice words about us, we really try to do our best .... . Hoping to see you in Rome again. Have a good day
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over the summer for a few days and what a lovely stay it was. Sandra, the owner, truly cares about all her guests. She wants you to have the best time you could possibly have during your stay. Ask her anything and she will be able to point you in the right direction. I recall wanting to ask her if she needed anything on my way out the door. That's how "at home" I felt. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There's even a little kitchenette in the one level hotel where you can have a little Italian breakfast. (Super yummy) I would stay here again in a heart beat. Just a tip to finding this great hotel: it's located on one floor of a military level building. So don't get discouraged when you start walking up the stairs or taking the little elevator up. It's up there.

-thank you Sandra for the wonderful stay

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Candita L
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your patience. Next time we will do even better !! We hope to see you again in the future.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Appia 442 last week for 4 days. We chose it because of the fair price and good reviews online. It was a great choice!
Mrs. Sandra was amazing: very friendly, caring and proactive. She would not only answer our questions but get all the information she could for us (itineraries, prices, etc) without us even asking for it!
The location is great. Literally few steps from the subway and 10min from the main terminals to go to the main attractions of Rome.
We loved our stay and will go back if we return to Rome. I would highly recommend this place and give more than 5 stars if I could!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TelmaFregeIssa
HotelAppia442, Proprietario at Hotel Appia 442, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
To have you our guests has been a great pleasure that we would like to repeat.
God bless you
Royal Oak, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hotel Appia 442 is a small, personal hotel that was a joy to stay at. Sandra is an excellent hostess who obviously loves what she does and she and her staff went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Lots of extra little touches made a bit difference like coffee, expresso and cappuchino made fresh, great advise on restaurants, introducing us to Lemoncello liqueur and offering a nice breaksfast. She even obtained different pillows for us when asked for them. A friend who stayed in another room and who has travelled Europe extensively stated that he will always return here whenever he travels to Rome and I agree. Hotel is modern and clean with a very nice bathroom, free wi-fi (that actually worked in the room!) and quiet, working air conditioning. It is a little way outside main Rome so lower cost than staying in the downtown area and is right next to a metro line stop that allowed us to get to anywhere in Rome very quickly and easily. My friend and I offer our thanks to Sandra and staff for a great stay in Rome !!

Room Tip: Email the hotel if you have any room requirements. I did that and Sandra got back to me right away...