“Good eating in Rome”

Osteria delle Commari
Ranked #728 of 12,268 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Osteria delle Commari is a quiet meeting place just a few steps from the Vatican, where you can enjoy traditional cuisine in a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. Winery with local wine.
Newark UK
“Good eating in Rome”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This small restaurant was recommended by our local Italian host and proved to be a good choice. We were made most welcome and presented with gratis champagne on arrival. The service was excellent and the meal was truly outstanding. If you are a lamb lover, I would heartily recommend this dish as possibly the best I have ever tasted.

The restaurant is located only a short walk North from the entrance to the Vatican Museum, easy to find and hard to forget. Enjoy the traditional cooking of Rome, it's beautiful.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Ashland, New York
“Best meal of our Roman holiday”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Three of us ate in this restaurant & agreed it was the meal of our stay. Very tasty food, friendly hosts & pleasant surroundings. It was near to our apartment & therefore convenient, but I have to say it would have been worth traveling to reach this restaurant. Very good value & a refreshing change from the pizza & pasta norms experienced in so many other restaurants. We will be back.

London, United Kingdom
“To me nothing special”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I went there with a group of Canadians. I think the food was nothing to die for, my friends found the food too salty. Service was ok, but when by mistake I order twice the same dish, they didn't take it back and they charge me for it. Yes, it was my fault but I think they could just cancel the order!
Price wise, not cheap!
So, overall, for my point of view, this restaurant was just average and I definitely won't take my cystomers again!

1 Thank elpatojones
2Commari, Proprietario at Osteria delle Commari, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your review...we hope to see you again....
Melbourne, Australia
“Very good, close to Musei Vaticani”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We ate dinner here one night mainly because we were very tired and it was only a couple of blocks from our B&B, but were pleasantly surprised. Welcoming, attentive staff.

The food was mostly very good indeed. I enjoyed an excellent veal dish for the main course and my wife loved the eggplant appetizer. I didn't like the suppli (rice balls, Roman version of arancini) which were a little too dry for my taste. Large selection of home made desserts, good wine menu and some interesting local beers. Overall a very good experience.

• Visited September 2013
Dear guest, thank you to you for choosing our restaurant and for your nice review. Best greetings.
Dublin, Ireland
“A hidden gem located near the Vatican”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Rome has history, culture, and fine cuisine - of the latter this is easily one of the best dinning experiences in the city. After discovering the TripAdvisor app - we set out to hit as many of the top rated restaurants the city had to offer over a two week period. Of the lot this was our favorite. The highlights include the friendly service, the classy but cool atmosphere, and the artistry and passion put into the food. Many of the restaurants we visited had rigid menus that appeared to be churned out on a conveyer of routine - this family run restaurant has real talent in the kitchen and takes advantage of what is fresh and in season in the area. Many of the dishes have three or more different accompanying sides or sauces that are unique to the season or day. The restaurant owner, Stephen, has fantastic English and insisted on going through all of the choices available. The wide selection is staggering but even more-so was Stephan’s ability to encyclopedically recall it all. For a group of three with starters, main, desert, and coffee our bill came to 105 euro. There were no exotic cover charges or other mysteries on our bill - the only thing they care about here is the art of good food. Oh... and the Chocolate Mousse is to die for!

• Visited August 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your nice review; I hope to see you back again. Best regards.