“A Faultless Stay”
Review of Villa Pirandello

Villa Pirandello
Ranked #168 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Like the vast majority of visitors to this hotel, I chose this hotel on the back of its Trip Advisor reviews and I'm happy to say I wasn't let down. We stayed here for four days and had a very pleasant stay throughout. We were staying in a deluxe double room and most striking initially was its size. Compared to the hotel rooms you'll get more centrally, it was cavernous. And tastefully decorated, well-equipped (including, usefully, a USB slot on the TV where your iPhone or camera can be charged) and, most importantly, clean. If I had to be picky to find a fault, I could mention that the shower-head didn't remain fixed in its holder, meaning it would suddenly droop down in the middle of a shower and would need to be held by hand. I'm clutching at straws here though. Other than that, the room itself was faultless, and the bed huge and comfortable.

As for the other important thing, breakfast, it's delicious. You have a choice of cold meats, cheeses, delicious pastries (including a variety of croissants, cakes and pretty amazing chocolate muffins) and fresh breads, as well as the usual cereals, yoghurts, fresh juices and so on. They'll also make you up a cup of your preferred variety of Twinings tea or a fresh coffee, at your request. It all tastes good and will keep you comfortably full until well-past lunch time, if not the evening.

Some folks have mentioned the location, and it's not central. It's about a 10-minute walk from Bologna metro stop. But there are also buses that go from a stop that's about 2 minutes walk from the hotel to Termini station and from there, you can easily go anywhere. It's not a hassle seeing the sights if you're staying here, and you may well appreciate the extra quietness at night.

The final thing I'd like to mention is the staff, who were fantastically helpful from the moment I'd booked the room two months earlier until the moment we checked out. I'd like to offer a special thank you to Nicola, Jlenia and Piero who were especially helpful and friendly and all three wonderful assets to this already wonderful hotel.

One final recommendation. If you decide to stay here, make sure you seek out and eat at a restaurant called Pepe Verde. It's about a 7-8 minute walk from the hotel and offers such delicious authentic-tasting Italian food, far better than the standard tourist-oriented fare you'll get more centrally. We ended up going there three times and were completely satisfied with our orders each time. Make sure you try the pear pizza (sounds odd, I know, but it's truly amazing) and their tiramisu. Also, it might be an idea to ask staff at the hotel to book you a table, prior to going as it was full every night we went (a good sign).

Anyway, faultless hotel based on my own experience and I have no trouble recommending it if you're planning to come to Rome for a few days.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2, a deluxe double room. Very spacious and well-equipped.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam D

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the comments of Trip Advisor as many poeple did. We asked the travel agency to arrange this hotel in our travel plan in Rome. We found this hotel was quiet, clean, and staff were very friendly and nice poeple. They kindly prepared a lunch box for us leaving early in the morning on the check-out day. So I have no complaint except one, which is no fault for the Villa Pirandello but I would like to comment on the restaurant nearby with which this hotel collaborate. I should say it is not recommendable. We went there one day, and ordered spaghetti dishes. They were served in very bad conditions: spaghetti were sticked each other and become a lump. The source was very plain, no taste. They of course tasted awful. we could not eat, and left most of them. We told the restaurant staff that our spaghetti were not cooked enough. Then he said that was the way of cooking spaghetti in Italy. As we have many Italian restaurants in my county, we know what 'al dente' is and what our ordered dishes taste like in other restaurants. He never said sorry. Since Villa Pirandello is a very nice hotel, I do hope they will serve meal in the hotel one day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveller602013
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I preferred this hotel based on the comments at trip advisor. And it was as I expected.
We stayed at room 3. hotel was quite and clean. personnel was smiling and helpful.However, I want to mention a few minor things. First, the breakfast was too limited. If you like pastries/cakes, you may like the breakfast. We prefer a less-sugar life. We expected to find at least olive,fresh tomato and different kinds of cheese since Italy is famous with these. Fruits could be fresh.
Second, our room was a bit small. And there was not a mosquito net on the window. I was bitten several times:(
And final point, the hotel was far from subway. You need to walk about 15 minutes. That was okay for us since we like to walk, but if you turn back tired at night, you want to reach to your room as soon as possible.
I was there for attending an academic conference, and at the last night of our stay, before the day of my presentation, a large group came the hotel. there was a welcome cocktail for them at the garden. The noise continued until 2 am and I could not sleep until the noise was over. Previous nights were very quite. Personnel may warn them or people should be more thoughtful because they were not alone there.
I am not sure that I will stay there again. The hotel was good enough, but I am sure that I will look for a better one with same price first.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel was quite spacious, and very charming. It had rooftops on every floor which was quite nice.
It was a bit difficult to find a nice place to sit down and just have a glass of wine, but it was well located between the Bologna train stop and the bus. (Don't ride the bus in Roma, it's awful!)
The shower, was a whole different matter. It was atrocious to even try and bathe, and the water would literally spray all over the bathroom floor.
All-in-all, I would recommend this hotel, but only for a few days, since the beds were a bit like rocks.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the side, you can open all of the windows and the views are so serene.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013

There is nothing else I love more than Italy. I come back to this beautiful country every 3 or 4 years. I was impressed to find this beautiful place. For me it was very comfortable to visit Rome. The services are great, the persons who work there very gentle and I hope I will come back some day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great place and reasonably priced. Location seems far from center of Rome but you only have to walk down one street to access many of the great attractions. I loved the closed in veranda and spent time reading and having breakfast here. This is rarity in Rome so it was a special treat. Only caveat is you can hear planes overhead occasionally and also if you are on the first floor you can hear chatting in the lobby. But do not let this stop you. The staff is friendly and helpful and I would return to this location again. Try it you will not be disappointed. They took me in at 9 pm when a prevous booking was a disaster elsewhere.

Room Tip: spend a few extra dollars for a higher level and balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotel Villa Pirandello sets the standard in Italy. From the warm greeting the moment you arrive, the facilities, furnishings, appointments and enthusiastic staff, this hotel caters perfectly for international travellers. Situated in the leafy Bologna area adjacent to embassies and upmarket residences, it is a short walk to the Metro and shopping village and is beyond the noise of the tourist area. Thank you Nicola and Jilenia - you are the perfect hosts and your English is so much better than my Italian!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family