Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano

from $29.00
from $80.20
from $75.50
2,239 results
All reviews roman house mithraic temple three levels current church early christian church roman street present church fourth century below ground interesting church lasagna century ad small fee old church archaeological site roman history entrance fee
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

This is a must see when in Rome. It is a bit difficult to find but it isn't far from the Colosseum. The church closes at dinnertime & opens again at 3pm. You go down steep steps to other levels in history as 3 churches were built over one another. There are very interesting historical objects & frescoes dating back to the 2nd century. What really amazed me was at the very bottom level you are actually in the roman house that had running water & it is still clear & running today. Notice the herringbone floor of the roman house it is the same as the Colosseums original floor. To be able to stand in a roman house where Christians first gathered & touch the walls & water as they did sends shivers down the spine. The church on the present day level is gorgeous - light a candle for your family ❤️❤️❤️

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Recommended by one of our tour guides, this Basilica is fascinating and shows how Romans built layer upon layer… Just like lasagna! Three churches, one on top of another, dating back to the fourth century, all in one place! A bit off the beaten path so not crowded ... but only a 10 minutes walk from the colosseum and certainly worth seeing! Just 10 euros, plan for one hour.

1  Thank EdsGirlBoston
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Basilica di San Clemente is not an attraction which travelers probably visit during their first time in Rome. You have to know it’s existence to find there. Located just few blocks away from Colosseum, you can find an unique piece of history. This basilica was super interesting and it’s three levels amazingly illustrates Rome’s history since the lowest level, Mithraeum, is from the 2nd Century.
The entrance fee to all levels was 10 euros and I think this attraction was definitely worthy. Highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited this Basilica on November 1,2018, a major Catholic holiday. The basilica was open to the public but there was no keeper and the archeological site was closed. Still my husband and I left feeling elated after seeing the beautiful frescoes and other pieces of art. It was free and across Termini, the main hub of public transit in Rome. You will not regret stopping by.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We headed to nearby San Clemente after the Colosseum and just loved this. It’s a triple decker, with an early Christian church on top, an even earlier one underneath, and a temple to Mithras with other Roman ruins at the bottom. This is a cool, musty subterranean time traveling experience. The spring is still running strong in the lower level and, with the coins thrown into the river, it sort of reminded us of The Goonies! Many times we were the only ones on each “floor.”

1  Thank KatherineHPat
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went to this site on a lark & am so glad I did! Ruins to visit 3-4 levels below the street bring one back in time to one of the original catholic church’s - private home where the early Christians gathered to worship. It was intimate and humbling to visit the ruins as well as the church. We had to wait for the 3 PM opening (it’s closed from noon to 3). It was well worth the wait The church is beautiful in its simplicity, the visitors respectful, so I really felt like I was in a place of worship rather than a tourist spot. I appreciated getting back to “my roots”.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On entering San Clemente, you experience a beautiful mediaeval Roman church, with gorgeous mosaics and beautiful frescoes - but that is only the start. Pay your admission and head down the stairs, and you are in an early Christian church, with paintings and inscriptions dating back to the ninth century and beyond. Still, you haven't finished - down another set of stairs, and you are in an ancient Roman Mithraeum, with the noise of the water in the cloaca maxima as a sound track. This place more than any other displays the layers which make up Rome, and is the nearest to time travel I have ever experienced. Amazing.

1  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were told about this Basilica by our guide at The Forum and she kept saying we shouldn’t miss it. She was right.

A short walk from the Colosseum, the Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano, dedicated to Pope Clement I, is an incredible find you would pass by and not realise what is inside. As you enter the Basilica, you then descend down through 2000 years of history, layer upon layer. Two further structures have been built upon the original foundations of a mithraeum (temple) from the 2nd century AD. In the 4th century AD the next level up was build as a nobleman’s home and then built upon that, around 1100AD, was the present Basilica you will enter at street level. A stream runs through the basement level of the mithraeum and the sound of running water is heard throughout your visit.

The site is very well set out and you are easily able to read and follow the history. There is a small entrance fee to assist with the ongoing excavation and upkeep. No photographs are allowed inside the Basilica or the subterranean levels.

Add this amazing site to your visit to the Roman Forum.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My sister, father and I visited the Basilica in October. It was nice....the crowds were small compared to many others. I really didn't like that they did not allow photos. Most Basilicas in Italy do permit photos with no flash, but not this one. They had a very large mean-looking security guard enforcing this rule too. Ok....so no big deal. we bought books, paid admission and visited the underground which was really fascinating and worth the money. My father is 87 and was very tired so he decided he'd wait there while my sister and I walked down the street to visit another church. During his visit, he went to use the public restroom and the "bouncer" would not let him because he did not have his receipt for visiting the underground. He had been sitting there quietly reading his book and yet he was not allowed to use the restroom. Then he was told to go outside and wait for us. They basically tossed him out like he was a homeless loiterer. Thankfully my sister and I got back soon after he was tossed and we were able to find him a bathroom at a local restaurant.

1  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

We decided to use the ruins under San Clemente as a introduction of ancient Rome to my teenage godson. It did not disappoint. As others have said there are various tunnels, properly secured open to visitors although the information available is a little scratchy - we were not sure of the limits between temple complex and housing. In any event the highlight for us was to drink from a water spring, located in one of the houses. Highly Recommended!

1  Thank LucyCarvalho