“italian with attitude”

Ranked #126 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
derby
“italian with attitude”
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Just returned from a stay at theHotel Navona...or should I say an apartment they owned on the Vittiore Emanuelle....a 10 minute walk away.
The apartment was booked back in January by an Italian speaking friend, and a price was agreed .Hoever when we arrived there was some dispute over the agreed price and the elderly owner didnt care if we stayed or not. He demanded 20 euros a night more and cash up front.Unable to resolve the issues,wWe proceeded to the apartment...very spacious but very basic.The sheets were darned and had holes in them!! The kitchen had an odd array of chipped crockery and two saucepans that I refused to use as they were so disgusting.The management did agree to change the sheets but as for the kitchen we were told was to be used" only in emergencies" and we could go to the hotel for brakfast .....We went to breakfast twice and decided to buy elsewhere as it really wasnt worth the 10 minute walk each morning.

At the end of our stay we paid the original agreed fee as we dealt with Cory who remembered the original conversation back in Jan and was very kind and helpful...it was such a pity that the older man and the sour faced woman werent as obliging.
Dont think I would make a return to the Navona

Interesting to see no one else who has left comments seems to have stayed in the apartment!!!

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank lynnderby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed May 7, 2006

We stayed at the Navona for 2 nights last week and after reading the comments on T A were pleasantly surprised with what we found. The bedroom was comfortable and the bathroom was cleaner than some 5 star hotels. The terrible tales of 'disgusting' breakfast shouldn't be believed - it was more than adequate - juice, rolls, croissants, jam, butter, tea or coffee. Other guests at the hotel who we spoke to all had positive reports and of course the wonderful location couldn't be bettered. We would definitely stay there again, Good value for money.

16 Thank rekrab
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2006

I stayed at Hotel Navona 10 -14 April 2006 with my wife and 11 year old son. The room, and taxi transfer, was booked in January and the hotel organised everything as requested.
2 weeks before the visit, I stumbled on the TA website and I was horrified with some of the reviews (ie the most recent ones) I expected stopping in a "hovel" owned by a mad Basil Faulty type manager!! My experience is neither of these were true.
I found the hotel served the purpose for the money I paid (we were only charged for 1 night on credit card when I booked and I was not asked to pay up front)
Our triple room was of an adequate size and very clean, with 3 single beds which were comfortouble. The bathroom was small but all 3 appliances were in good service. Towels were changed daily and the room was cleaned on the same basis.
The room backed onto the famous courtyard complete with neighbours washing and some rubbish, not the best view in Rome but we didn't pay for the view!
The free breakfast was an experience, but we had a laugh with the other guests and skipped it after the first day (Get a takeout at a local cafe 6E for 3)
As reviewed before, the location cannot be beaten..All the major attractions max 25 minutes walk and Piazza Navona 200 yards.
The staff were there when you needed them but apart from saying hello and goodbye, we didnt bother them and them us
I think this hotel is a good base for a visit to Rome,at an affordable price in an unbeatable location. Dont expect 5 star luxury at 1 star prices. I would advise organising a taxi transfer from the airport which saves a lot of hassle and has the advantage of you being dropped off at the doorstep thus saving enough energy to walk the 30 steps to the hotel reception, again onother previously noted negative point which I didnt see as a major problem

• Stayed April 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2006

I could have given this place 2 "stars" but on the whole there are more negative things to say than positive. The location is ideal, but the rooms are *tiny*, the breakfast *terrible*, and the staff *unfriendly*. If you're travelling in the off-season, check out last minute deals at Hotel Pantheon--we stayed there one night for the same price and it was *wonderful*. Skip the Hotel Navona and keep searching elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank sga07
GALWAYIRELAND
Reviewed March 5, 2006

This 'hotel'is a joke. I have travlelled extensively round the globe and have NEVER NEVER been treated so badly! On viewing the rooms we returned to reception to ask politely if they had any others as they were not acceptable. Immediately we were shouted at with the manager shouting at me "YOU ARE WRONG!!!" Then another lady took over and sneered at our opinion that the rooms were ridiculously small! She proceeded to shout at us and march us round to look at other rooms equally disgusting hovels! She was actulaly nasty! A single room that we had booked did not even have enough room for my suitcase. When using the bathroom your knees were in the shower and you scraped your side off the toilet roll holder! How in any country can this be acceptable especially for the price! They acted like the reduced rate (1200 for 4 nights)was a huge favour to us!
The arrogance of these people is unbelievable and I agree with other reviewers who say that you are imposing on them. They did not speak to us for the rest of our time there just flung flithy looks!
Why did we stay? First of all it was raining really heavily when we arrived. We actully had to have the door pointed out to us as there was no evidence of a hotel. You have to go up three flights of stairs with no help. We had three suitcases and not a notion of where we were. Also when we said we would stay only one night we were told to "leave now because it is not worth it for us!". You then have to pay for all nights up front obviously a policy they have developed due to many complaints! We were in shock!

The breakfast is (---) and not worth getting up for. The view was of a dirty courtyard and a washing line the rooms were not newly refurbished but dirty. The wardrobe was so small that my clothes did not hang in it straight, the sink was not in the bathroom but in the room, the moulding which looks so great in the brochure was polystyrene. Oh yeah and in our three rooms there was not a curtain to be seen!!!! The noise is ridiculous from staff getting ready for work, changing their clothes outside your door, to street noise and slamming doors. And just for atomophere there was a washing machine in the "beautiful" hallway!
The brochure and internet site are truly misleading do not stay in this DUMP as the location does not make up for the arrogance and dirt of the place! SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE!!!! DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank SuzieGalwayireland
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Navona a few years ago, and while it was clean, I was disappointed. We stayed in a very low-ceilinged room that looked out into the always dark airshaft/courtyard with laundry, trash, and views into other people's apartments that some have mentioned. (Also as some have mentioned, the guidebook-touted courtyard and ancient fountain are not impressive or attractive.) The staff was somewhat unresponsive, but not impossible. For instance, when we went to Florence for a couple days, they kept our bulky luggage for us in the interim; they just kept us waiting a very long time while we waited to pay and check out. The absence of a television was not a problem for me, and while the breakfast was underwhelming, that wasn't a particular problem either, as there are wonderful cafes just outside, which would be preferable to even a wonderful hotel breakfast. On the plus side, the bathroom was a reasonable size, nicely decotated, with good hot water. And of course the major plus, and it is worth a great deal, is the absolute perfect, amazing location, which allows you to stumble into the Pantheon without even trying--a magical experience. Given this, and given that we stayed there in the off-season and back when the dollar was stronger, so the hotel was a good deal cheaper than it is today, I think it was worth the money. I wouldn't go back to it at current prices.

I think, however, that one reason the reviews here are so negative is because there is an enormous gap between the impression given by the website photos (and by the fountain-touting guidebooks) and the reality of many or most of the rooms. My impression of the Hotel Navona would be much warmer if it had simply been upfront about the simple accommodations in its self-promotion. The website's pictures of high carved ceilings, elaborate curtains, and enormous windows, even if technically correct for the rooms pictured, are simply not representative enough to stand alone on the website, even with allowances made for the inevitable flattering shots in this context. I think people here would be less angry if they did not feel they had been lied to. It's not a matter of expecting five-star accommodations; it's a matter of expecting something comparable to what is promised. Unfortunately, Hotel Navona failed to deliver that, which obscures what it does deliver.

• Stayed November 2002
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2005

For my wife's 30th birthday I arranged a trip to Rome and a stay in the Hotel Navona. As a surprise I invited another 11 couples so there were 24 of us in total. I was a little aprehensive of arranging such an event and if the hotel was not up to scratch I would never live it down. I arranged my trip with Micheal on reception who was very efficient and even booked a restaurant for us. The rooms where very adequate for the visit and everyone in our party though that the hotel offered a fantastic location and a certain rustic charm. I read some reviews from Americans mainly complaining about the room sizes etc and I have to state that you dont get 5 star service unless you pay for it. Everyone in our group agreed that they would use it again and I am looking forward to.

14 Thank Stephi1975