“misleading website”
Review of Hotel Navona

Hotel Navona
Ranked #123 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 8, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Navona a few years ago, and while it was clean, I was disappointed. We stayed in a very low-ceilinged room that looked out into the always dark airshaft/courtyard with laundry, trash, and views into other people's apartments that some have mentioned. (Also as some have mentioned, the guidebook-touted courtyard and ancient fountain are not impressive or attractive.) The staff was somewhat unresponsive, but not impossible. For instance, when we went to Florence for a couple days, they kept our bulky luggage for us in the interim; they just kept us waiting a very long time while we waited to pay and check out. The absence of a television was not a problem for me, and while the breakfast was underwhelming, that wasn't a particular problem either, as there are wonderful cafes just outside, which would be preferable to even a wonderful hotel breakfast. On the plus side, the bathroom was a reasonable size, nicely decotated, with good hot water. And of course the major plus, and it is worth a great deal, is the absolute perfect, amazing location, which allows you to stumble into the Pantheon without even trying--a magical experience. Given this, and given that we stayed there in the off-season and back when the dollar was stronger, so the hotel was a good deal cheaper than it is today, I think it was worth the money. I wouldn't go back to it at current prices.

I think, however, that one reason the reviews here are so negative is because there is an enormous gap between the impression given by the website photos (and by the fountain-touting guidebooks) and the reality of many or most of the rooms. My impression of the Hotel Navona would be much warmer if it had simply been upfront about the simple accommodations in its self-promotion. The website's pictures of high carved ceilings, elaborate curtains, and enormous windows, even if technically correct for the rooms pictured, are simply not representative enough to stand alone on the website, even with allowances made for the inevitable flattering shots in this context. I think people here would be less angry if they did not feel they had been lied to. It's not a matter of expecting five-star accommodations; it's a matter of expecting something comparable to what is promised. Unfortunately, Hotel Navona failed to deliver that, which obscures what it does deliver.

• Stayed: November 2002
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed December 6, 2005

For my wife's 30th birthday I arranged a trip to Rome and a stay in the Hotel Navona. As a surprise I invited another 11 couples so there were 24 of us in total. I was a little aprehensive of arranging such an event and if the hotel was not up to scratch I would never live it down. I arranged my trip with Micheal on reception who was very efficient and even booked a restaurant for us. The rooms where very adequate for the visit and everyone in our party though that the hotel offered a fantastic location and a certain rustic charm. I read some reviews from Americans mainly complaining about the room sizes etc and I have to state that you dont get 5 star service unless you pay for it. Everyone in our group agreed that they would use it again and I am looking forward to.

14  Thank Stephi1975
Reviewed October 24, 2005

Clean but VERY small rooms and bath. No TVs and no phones in rooms. Very close to Piazza Novona.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Jeff U
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed October 16, 2005

Nothing can beat the location which many reviews will tell you regarding this hotel, we were definitely NOT disappointed. Because of the history of this hotel rooms can very in size, however if you make it clear that you wish to have a good size room you will be fine. The rooms were clean, and comfortable, and security is maintained for the building. We had the pleasure of meeting Cory the owner, who has had this hotel in his family for over 700 hundred years, and his trusted Assistant Michael, they were both extremely kind and helpful, it was apparent they take great pride with serving their clients and their city. That being said, you can go further with them if you are a pleasent, if you wish to be rude and demanding your experience my not be as good. We watched both scenarios unfold in the lobby when we were checking in.... I had a guest be extremely rude to me and Cory did not take to that very well. I don't believe thier stay was as nice as ours. At any rate, there is no doubt that we will be staying there again. It has no frills but that was actually part of the charm for us and the over all experience that we had was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sacramento, ca
Reviewed October 11, 2005

This hotel is located within steps of all the major sights. It is literally one block from the Piazza Navona. Overall the rooms were small, some smaller(tiny) than others, we've experienced both. The beds aren't comfy, but who cares if your out all day. This is definitely a no frills hotel; its main advantage is the LOCATION. Mike, the receptionist, was very accomodating and spoke english.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 7, 2005

The position can't be faulted. My room was so small I couldn't swing a flea let alone a cat but the positives - it was clean and close to everything.

My negative was the awful bed and pillow. After walking until I couldn't walk another step I wanted a bed in which I would be comfortable to sleep but my bed resembled a block of concrete and the pillow was no softer and so thin as to be useless.

The breakfast was filling if nothing and I loved the orange juice served in a plastic cup.

Would I stay there again - yes but I would ask for a different room that was a bit larger and take my own pillow.

Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank mememe_11
Reviewed October 4, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Navona for 3 nights (in December 2003)and were very pleased with the hotel and service. It is in a charming building. Even though the hotel is off of the main streets we did use our ear plugs while sleeping, since Rome is a big city and pretty loud even at night. But we were use to doing that in large cities so we weren't upset. The breakfast was simple, but it was sufficient. The staff was friendly. I would recommend this hotel to friends!

• Stayed: December 2003