“Great location in a great city”
Review of Hotel Navona

Hotel Navona
Ranked #133 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Great location in a great city”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is the third time we have stayed at either this hotel or the Residenza Zanardelli which is on the other side of the piazza and owned by the same people. The location is near our favorite and best piazza in Rome and most of the popular sites are within walking distance. The staff is always helpful and the rooms are comfortable and clean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Leland1962

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is best located in the heart of old Rome. It is between Pantheon and Piazza Navona. If Vatican, Coliseum, and Spanish Stair form a triangle, and the hotel Novana is right at the center of this triangle. Regardless where you go to visit, it is always within 20 minutes walking distance. The daytime of Rome in summer maybe too hot to bear, but in the evening after the sunset, all of sudden Rome was alive. The alleys were lined up with dining tables and people were enjoying the food. Fortunately this hotel is near those alleys that made our evening in Rome were full of playful memory. The entrance of this hotel needs some repairing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Location-wise, it’s fantastic. Aside from being very close to Piazza Navona as its name suggests, it’s also just a hop and a skip away from the Pantheon and easy/pleasant walking distance from the Trevi Fountain, the King’s Monument, the Spanish Steps, Villa Borghese, the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Mouth of Truth, Trastevere… you get the idea. The staff are wonderful as well, really friendly and helpful (particularly Michele) and really just give off that warm “please feel like this is your home” feeling.

However, we were a little disappointed that our room looked nothing like the ones we thought we’d booked. They’ve got some more modern-looking rooms, which were the ones we thought we'd chosen, and some more old-fashioned ones, which is what we got. We later discovered that the modern-style ones we wanted did exist (they’re on the same floor as the reception, FYI). While it wasn’t a huge deal for us since we spent most of our time out exploring Rome anyway, it’s a bit frustrating knowing that the room you get looks nothing like the image you saw upon booking. Not pure false advertising since those rooms did exist, but it was in the sense that we didn’t get the ones that looked like that. Our AC was also extremely weak while our companions in another room had an extremely powerful one, so I guess it varies per room. When our AC felt like it stopped working one day (and as it was summer, it was roasting), the staff were extremely accommodating in helping us check on it and get it fixed and assuring us of a room switch if it was un-fixeable – much appreciated.

Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby, which is a bit inconvenient but better than none. There’s no lift but the highest floor, where our room was, wasn’t that high so tromping up each night wasn’t a huge pain. There were 3 keys/doors to get through to reach our room though – one hallway, another hallway, then the room itself – which added character I suppose but is a bit of a palaver when you’re tired and just want to get in. Didn’t bother with breakfast in the hotel since there was the fantastic Caffè Sant'Eustachio down the road.

Despite the aesthetic disappointment, the rooms were comfortable and clean, decently sized and good value. Good service, location and cleanliness are some of the most important factors when you’re on the kind of trip where you won’t spend ages in the hotel and they definitely delivered on those counts... so we’d consider staying here again but now we know which specific rooms to clearly ask for next time upon reservation and check-in!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank partypiglet
Belfast
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Navona's sister hotel; Residenza Zanardelli.

The location is a few minutes walk from Piazza Navona, a brilliant location with lots going on at night. The hotel is clean and has good air conditioning but there is nothing else good we can say about this place.

The staff were very unfriendly and in fact acted liked we were bothering them on each occasion we passed them. We had amended our reservation since the time of booking and the hotel had no record of this. Despite saying we could pay on check on we were asked to pay midway through our stay. The shower was also a dribble of hot water. The breakfast is at one table with all the hotel guests sitting around it.

We had booked a double room but the double bed was in fact two single beds pushed together.
For the communial breakfast alone, we would not recommend this hotel.
We will definitiely go back to Rome but will give this hotel a miss.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Preface: As business traveler have stayed in all categories of hotels, in US as well as in Europe, same for pleasure travel.
I first saw Hotel Navona when a friend stayed here in 2002 and was so impressed with the cordiality of the owners, from that moment on, it's a top Rome choice for this budget category (and even beyond). I stay in other hotels in Rome, too, but love the Roman-ness of Navona and the owner family, very present. The owners have a broad knowledge of the city and are well traveled themselves, but above all it's their charm and humanity that always brings me back.
Touches I love: antiques in guest room, good reading light, comfortable room temperature (even in sudden seasonal weather changes), great water pressure in the showers, a desk (or antique table) where I can work, comfortable beds. Room size matters less to me than location. I am in my room very little, and want to get out and about as much as on foot as possible, also to be in a safe, historic, and vibrant neighborhood. TV is of less interest, but they have plasma, with CNN. I prefer my news sitting with a newspaper at a Rome cafe, or when I need something more timely, do a quick internet check on my computer in the hotel. As for entertainment, nothing I see on TV beats the streets of Rome.
Luggage: From the US a carry-on is all I need. (If you don't want to travel light to Rome, wait 'til you visit Venice!) Reception is up a flight of stairs on the first floor (our second floor) and some rooms are above that. No elevator, but very historic. (Travelers with disabilities would prefer their Zanardelli location, elevator plus more spacious rooms.) Where else at breakfast will I see patches of walls from the Baths of Agrippa? That's 1st century AD, and that's part of why I am in Rome!
Communication: cell phone signals can be difficult in these Renaissance palazzos, so I leave my phone near the window. Wi-fi is available in various spots in the hotel. Plus a loaner laptop for brief e-mail checks.
Noise: Wherever I am, I love a window view of the street, to see and hear the local movement, and yes, that includes noise, which fortunately does not bother me. The noise-sensitive traveler might prefer a courtyard room.
Breakfast: Uh, being on the Continent, the classic European breakfast is, well, continental! The variation that I enjoy here is the fresh rosetta roll that says "you're back in Rome." The banquet arrangement of tables is intimate (ie no secrets here). Servers always are cordial and efficient. Then I skip coffee here so I can dash out to Sant'Eustachio or some other great bar, see what the Romans are up to, and have my cappuccino there. Late morning in another bar, I get a fresh-squeezed juice (spremuta). To me, in Rome, that' s breakfast. Missed fruit or ham at breakfast? Go to Campo de' Fiori, stroll the morning market, buy fruit, and get a slice of pizza-- that will be memorable.
Sights I walk to from here: Pantheon, Roman Forum, Coliseum, Piazza di Spagna/Spanish Steps, Capitoline, Vatican Museums, St. Peter's, Castel Sant'Angelo, etc.
Amenities: Sure, I like those designers soaps, shampoos, buffet breakfasts with exotic fruits and Champagne, fluffy bathrobes, and all of those amenities that spoil us silly (hey, I even miss Leona Helmsley!). The reality check is that this is a budget hotel! And I am staying exactly in the part of the city that I want to be.
Staff: Michele aka Mike is a wizard! He got me out of a big jam with my computer, which he sent off and was returned, all data intact. On another trip, when I had checked out and into another hotel, guests at Navona wanted to have dinner. Mike phoned, advised me, we hooked up and all had a splendid evening. They intuitively see what guests have interests in common, and make introductions (though never intrusive of privacy). I've met wonderful people, from an Australian UN relief worker on a break from disasters in Asia, to Delta Airlines staff, to artists on quirky projects, students, art professors, Brazilian architects.
My biggest complaint, I don't cook like Sgra. Natale!
Fortunately, this neighborhood has everything, from Rome's best pizzeria, good wine bars, to some of it's top better-take-out-a-loan restaurants. As I exit, I admire the Piranesi prints of Rome, then a block away am in front of the Pantheon. It knocks my socks off every time!

Room Tip: Book early. Light sleepers might prefer an internal room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank GrandestTour
Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Thank you Hotel Navona for a great stay. My sons and I had a great time and will return. Please read the reviews below and keep an open mind. I thoroughly agree with the review from Cladiusl. My son was 21 while we were in Rome and family and friends sent cards to the Hotel but unfortunately when it came time to leave they are not arrived. We left a forwarding address and when we finally arrived back in the UK after an epic trip to Crete the cards had been sent back to us by the Hotel - thank you!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Helen P
Kent uk
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Most awful place i have ever stepped foot into, the staff are nothing but rude, arrogant and have a large chip on their shoulders. I f you want you luggage to be tampered with and you want random staff to enter you room unacordingly this is the place to go. If Hotel Navona was the last place on earth i would not re-enter. Rats ran around rubbish tipped all over the place, bathroom locks broken, dirty sheets, broken window lock, unflushable toilet and leaky shower. Disgraceful this is not a hotel its more like hell on earth.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends