“Great location and baby friendly”
Review of Hotel Lancelot

Hotel Lancelot
Ranked #29 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This hotel really is just a stones throw from the Colosseum. The location is fantastic and the hotel staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. We had a nearly 8 month old baby with us for our long weekend and Rome and this hotel was perfect for us. The rooms have a bath, although we ended up showering with our baby. Lancelot provide a travel cot all made up and go out of their way to be of assistance.
The rooms are nice, basic but cleaned every day and comfortable. The air con is only on for the summer months which was a shame as we were there in October and it was still very hot for us coming from Ireland :) But with the window open it was fine.
There are loads of great trattorias close to the hotel and the breakfast is a good selection, there is a highchair for babies as well.
Cost was around €600 for 3 nights stay, expensive enough but for the location we thought it was good value. Would recommend to all.

Room Tip: You can get a room with a balcony, which would have been nice in the warm evenings - we didn't h...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Lancelot

Reviewed October 25, 2011

The location is perfect close to the Collosseum and to the other attractions of Rome. The room was clean and functional with a great view. Also the restaurant was very nice with good service. The staff very helpful speaks a good English and the wifi service is excellent. I think this is one of the best place to stay in Rome.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My wife and stayed at Hotel Lancelot for 5 days in October. We love the hotel and of course Rome, and we will be back.

The hotel staff are friendly, helpful and completely fluent in English. The location is perfect and is among the closest hotels to the Roman Forum and Colosseum.

The self served breakfast served at the hotel was great. A good selection of meat including smoked salmon and various cured meats. Also some fantastic jams including an incredible Orange marmalade (best I've ever had) and some of the freshest nuts I've ever had. There was a wide array of cereals, breads, and croissants. The fresh squeezed apple juice from green apples was unique and very good.

Now, this is not a cheap place to stay. We paid 195 Euros per night. I think it's worth the money though given the typical high costs for hotels in this area. Being so close to all the sights and being able to walk everywhere justifies some the added expense. There are cheaper places, but you would need to either take a bus or taxi to get to where you really want to be in Rome. If you can afford it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Be sure to visit the terrace on the 6th floor. Its a great spot to drink some wine in the early evening.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This was my ninth visit to Rome and for this occasion I decided to try a new area of the city to stay in and chose Hotel Lancelot based on the Trip Advisor reviews and the fact there were some lovely rooms available with private terrace. It was a special occasion, one of the reasons being my daughter's 21st birthday and my niece's first trip overseas.
We stayed in rooms 60 , which is the corner suite and 61 which was the next room. Both of these have a lovely view from the terrace, the suite having a view of the Colosseum and Parco di Traiano and at night one could see all the way up to St. Peter's.
We arrived early evening after a very long series of flights and immediately welcomed by the receptionist and by Mrs. Khan . Everyone was very helpful in getting us settled and explaining how things worked at the hotel.
Our rooms were comfortable - the suite was spacious and the double room was small , as most rooms are in Rome. The bathrooms were well appointed, the suite having a bath tub. The mattress in room 61 was new and too firm for the girls but the linens were of very good quality. Both rooms had TV, free wi fi and spacious storage for belongings.
The breakfasts were buffet style and there was a wide selection of foods ranging from breads, cheeses, meats, fruit , juices, tea and coffee. If one wants a cappuccino or other than straight american coffee one only needs to ask at reception or to one of the staff . Each night dinner is served at the hotel either in the enclosed patio area or breakfast room. The menu is offered at the reception desk and at breakfast . If you do not chose dinner included in your room rate you only have to let them know by 4pm that you wish to join for dinner- which is served at 7:30pm. The food is prepared by Mrs. Khan's son who is marvelous and very interesting to talk with also. We very much enjoyed our one meal there. There is also an extensive bar offering a selection of standard drinks plus liquors unique to Italy. There is a lift if one wishes to use it but I chose to walk the 6 flights each time which is how I could justify eating so well each day .
A truly special thing they do at the hotel is serve something special if it is a celebration, like a birthday . On the evening of my daughter's birthday before we went out to dinner they brought up to the rooms drinks in which the glasses had been decorated with colored sugar and Happy B-day and my daughter's name was written on one of the glasses. It was such a sweet little special touch that really emphasized how personal the hotel is and how Mrs Khan and her family feel about the business they have.
The only draw back was in my daughter and niece's view and that was that the location was too far away for them to just go out at night and wander the hang out areas, like Campo di Fiori and Piazza Navona. As I am a big walker I did not find the location a problem and actually enjoyed staying in a totally "new" area .
I highly recommend this hotel and the hospitality of Mrs. Khan and her son (sorry- forgot your name ! ) and all the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Great hotel, great location but ... should be much better for money they ask you.
Upon arrival we had a "bad" experience with a clerk... we booked parking and arrived very late, the clerk had no driving licence, so we had to move 3 car ourselves to park our one, this after 6 hours of flight from edinburgh with children sleeping in the car... well... this is not so nice for an hotel like this one. Bad Service this time !

Pros:
The staff: really kind, polite and helpful, (except maybe for the previous nigh-clerk !)
The atmosphere, the hall is very very good
Good breakfast

Cons:
too much pricey... we payed EUR 240 /night for a 4 bed room.
furnitures (expecialy bathroom) are somewhat too old
bathroom was really awful
air conditioned does not follows the temp you set. If I set 24 degrees I want 24, not 27 ok ? after all I pay 240 EUR/day !!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank carlop_oOo
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I booked this hotel exclusively based upon Trip Advisor recommendations. I had never been to Rome, so with hundreds of Hotels scattered around the city, it was a gamble choosing somewhere. I needed to visit the Vatican and Colloseum, so rather than risk somewhere in between, I chose to stay near the Colloseum due to the rather more peaceful surroundings that appeared to be around there. Trip Advisor rated this Hotel as within its Top 20 Hotels, but it was one of the cheapest - sub 200 Euros - in that Top 20. The rest were 400+ Euros. Ideally I wanted to pay 120 Euro for a Hotel for one night, but these all appeared to have indifferent reviews and locations, so I decided to pay the extra for the reassurance. It was worth it.
The pictures on the Net and the actual Website of the Hotel don't do it justice, and the impression I got before arriving was of some posh version of 'Faulty Towers' run in a B&B style with quirky Courtyards, Terraces and strange staff going overboard to please.
This wasn't the case.
The Hotel is just a regular Hotel, in a city, with friendly staff - but not overbearing friendly if that makes sense - and helpful receptionists. It is not a crappy Travelodge or PremierInn affair, as us Brits know.
The clientele on my night was almost all American, and this was the night of the Rome demonstrations and small scale riots. We could see the burning cars from our windows, with black, choking smoke pervading the terrace. We felt safe inside the hotel and ventured out later in the eveing.
We found a few lovely, cheap Pizza / Pasta restaurants within one block walk, with meals from 7 Euros, all with dining areas and Gas burners on the pavement - a typical lovely Mediterranean feel with cars drifting by behind us (not burning thankfully).
Go two blocks further to the Colloseum and the price for food doubles - so avoid.! It aint worth the view of the Colloseum for the extra cash. Stay withing two blocks of the Hotel for good local dining. There is nothing for at least 1/2 a mile in any other direction if you want other food. You'd have to walk in the direction of the main Banking area / Trevi fountain for more food or different variety. If you're there for more than 1 night, then do both.
The Hotel placed us on the 6th floor which had a view of the Colloseum, which was an added bonus. You could even see the ancient structure whilst on the toilet seat through the bathroom window.! Result.
The only complaint is that a bottle of 660ml beer from their bar - no draft beer - is 6 Euro. But to be fair, the Irish pub one block away was the same price for a pint so I guess Italy is just expensive for drink.
90% the residents of the Hotel were English speaking, mostly Sceptics, but they were all genuinely very friendly and we all shared a good laugh about the riots and the hooliganism of the demonstration - but then again we're British and from London so know all about bloody riots.?!
In summary, the price of the hotel is steep but worth the extra, the location is peaceful (ish - riots permitting), great for walking everywhere, and the Colloseum is just jaw dropping to look at from the Hotel.
The Hotel was ever so clean, the bathroom small but who cares, the staff nice, the safety and security faultless, so all in all, highly recommended.
The hotel will tell you it'll take 50 minutes to walk to the Vatican - I'd say nearly double that.!
But what a picturesque walk it was and apart from the blisters, I'd do it again and again.
Believe what you read here on Trip Advisor, it is the place to stay, you'll have no regrets, and if anxious about believeing what you read, if you do not know Rome, then trust me, just book it. You won't be dissappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for the 6th Floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Having booked a cruise from Civitaveccia the next afternoon, we wanted to get the most out of Rome by having a centrally located hotel. Lancelot was a block from the Colloseum, our room had a small Juliet balcony from which to gaze at the lite Colloseum at night. Staff was friendly, Cappucino when we arrived was avery welcoming touch and the room was very clean and well appointed. Granted the price was premium, but well worth it in our opinion as breakfast was included and we had quite the spread to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple